Ursa Mini Pro + Ursa 4K deal

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

David Chapman

Ursa Mini Pro + Ursa 4K deal

PostFri Mar 24, 2017 6:17 pm

Hey guys!

So some have seen the special deal B&H has with a crazy price for an additional camera. You can get an original Ursa 4K for $500 more when you buy a new Ursa Mini pro. Sounds great right? Well, there's a catch.

The Ursa 4K is not only the V1 sensor, it's also PL mount. I guess if you have PL lenses, it might sound a little enticing. But there is no way to upgrade the lens mount from PL to EF at all. That part sounds crazy to me, since the initial marketing (and current website) shows various mounts for the original Ursa—including an EF mount. There is also no way to upgrade the V1 to a V2 sensor—something sneaky I was thinking could be done through BMD.

I called up BMD to talk to them about this:

Me: "So it sounds like B&H is just trying to clear their warehouse of these old Ursa 4K PL's..."
Guy: "Hahaha yeah, that sounds about right"
Me: "I mean, who would be buying these V1 Ursa's with a PL mount anyways?"
Guy: "I have no idea."

He did mention that at some point, the official word is that a 4.6K sensor would be coming for the original Ursa, but that would be more of a gamble to spend $500 on a body that may or may not have a future. I really thought that at least the v2 sensor upgrade would be an option.

Has anyone else been able to upgrade their v1 sensor to a v2 or perhaps get an additional lens mount?
David Chapman
Just another creative dude with a camera.

Return to Cinematography