Noise in bright sky?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

James Harkness

Noise in bright sky?

PostMon Mar 27, 2017 3:29 am

I was quite confused about this so forgive me if it's amateurish but I have noise in a bright blue sky and was wondering if anyone could explain why this happened please :( The still I grabbed was too big (6.5mb) to upload so I just included a drive.google.com link. Thanks for you help.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByV9Dr ... sp=sharing

John Simpson

Re: Noise in bright sky?

PostMon Mar 27, 2017 3:34 am

James be aware there is zero in-camera noise reduction in the Ursa Mini's (assuming it is) but that image should clean up very nicely :)
JJ Simpson
Photographer
Brisbane Australia

James Harkness

PostMon Mar 27, 2017 4:22 am

Yes the I am quite happy with the noise reduction in Davinci Resolve I just find it very strange that there is noise in a bright blue sky.. and yes it is the Ursa mini. Thanks for your response

James Harkness

PostTue Mar 28, 2017 3:44 am

Could anyone explain why there is noise in the sky though? Did I do something wrong in camera? It just baffles me that there is noise there :( I don't like having feelings of regret purchasing this camera and everything it took just to get it to operate.

rick.lang

PostTue Mar 28, 2017 4:24 pm

What ISO and exposure did you shoot that shot? Even the snow looks awfully underexposed while trying to manage shooting directly at the sun. The sun that high in the sky is going to clip in any shot that has a requirement to see detail in other parts of the frame. I would have exposed it with more light and then tried to salvage what can be saved of the sky and clouds in post where you have more control.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

James Harkness

PostTue Mar 28, 2017 6:55 pm

Hey Rick thanks for chiming in. I always shoot at 400 ISO. I can't recall what the exposure was, I was using a cine lens with T-Stop so it wouldn't have been recorded (if it does that anyways). Thanks for the tip on letting it clip while shooting directly in the sun, I will try that next time. It does look a bit dark all around, I think I was trying to salvage the sky as much as possible.

rick.lang

PostTue Mar 28, 2017 7:28 pm

And that is a good approach depending upon the desired grade and balancing the scene with detail you want to see in the other subjects in frame.

Rick Lang

James Harkness

PostTue Mar 28, 2017 7:47 pm

WOW I had couple shots where I did let it clip a lot more, and I just dropped the ISO from 400 down to 200 in Davinci and it looks soooo nice. What an incredible difference. It saved so much detail. I will post a before and after.

Before - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByV9D ... XBQci1vU3c

After - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByV9D ... lVTVFJkUjQ

rick.lang

PostTue Mar 28, 2017 7:55 pm

Magic. Blackmagic.

Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography