SSDs on the Ursa Mini Pro?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

AnthonySneed

SSDs on the Ursa Mini Pro?

PostTue Mar 28, 2017 9:04 pm

I read there was a way to use SSDs is there any more info on this? Can I record at the highest possible quality w an SSD like I would a Cfast?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
anthonysneed.film

chris.white

Re: SSDs on the Ursa Mini Pro?

PostTue Mar 28, 2017 9:14 pm

According to Grant at the launch (as seen here ~57:10...
), the "official" BMD SSD option will be available mid-year.

Since it's using the 12G SDI connection, I'd assume that it's probably capable of max quality, but I'm no expert. I don't recall Grant mentioning any quality restrictions in the video presentation. Perhaps someone else might have more info on that.

There are other options out there like the former "C-Box"... now the "Atoch C2S", and I think some people have managed to cobble together some homebrew SSD recording options for the UM.

The BMD option is a bit more elegant as it is more integrated into the camera, and doesn't require the screen to be open for the cables to run to the cfast slots.
---
c

Garth McElroy

PostTue Mar 28, 2017 9:50 pm

I've been using the following method on my 4.6k :

I use a 1tb Samsung Evo ssd as my drive. It'll keep up with any codec you use. I can record raw 3:1 60fps off rate no problem.

AnthonySneed

PostTue Mar 28, 2017 10:37 pm

Hey Garth, thanks for sharing. I think it's going to be too cumbersome for what I'm looking to do.

But I am curious, where did you get that Anton gold mount plate and that battery isn't Anton what brand is that?

anthonysneed.film

Garth McElroy

PostTue Mar 28, 2017 11:06 pm

Hi Anthony,

I'm not the original poster of that video so I can't comment on the plate or battery. I'm pretty sure if you search B&H there are third part AB plates for the mini. As for the setup being cumbersome, yes, it is a little ungainly! But, you can get the wires mostly out of the way and it works like a charm. I've never had a single hiccup, dropped frame etc. Offloading can be super fast as well using a dock and USB 3.1.

AnthonySneed

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 1:39 am

If I wasn't planning on throwing it on my Movi Pro, I'd totally consider it, but I've got to keep everything as clean as possible. Thanks for sharing regardless!
anthonysneed.film

chris.white

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 2:07 am

AnthonySneed wrote:Hey Garth, thanks for sharing. I think it's going to be too cumbersome for what I'm looking to do.

But I am curious, where did you get that Anton gold mount plate and that battery isn't Anton what brand is that?

Switronix makes both AB plates and batteries. I've been using both with my UM46 and they've been solid.

I thought that one in the video might be an IndiPro, but not totally sure.
---
c

Asher Li

PostSun May 21, 2017 11:20 am

I'm using the same set-up with a 2tb Samsung 850 Evo but can't get it to record 60fps unless it's ProRes LT. So I think it's because I'm powering it to a USB port that outputs at max 1.6A. Any advice on whether I should get another one that outputs at 2.1A or 3.0A? I think the drive needs 2.1-2.5A and consumes like 4.7W of power.

André Normandin

PostWed Jul 19, 2017 6:40 pm

Any news on when it will be released?
André Normandin
Acteur / Réalisateur
UDA: 189705 / ACTRA: AM-20518
Bur. 514.400.8359 / Cell. 514.883.6589
a.normandin@angescornus.ca
www.angescornus.ca

Return to Cinematography