Add traditional "Focus Peaking" to all BMD cameras.

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Timothy Cook

Add traditional "Focus Peaking" to all BMD cameras.

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 4:33 am

Over on BMC.user Denny and I had mentioned our love for the new/old focus peaking option (Edge Enhanced Focus Peaking) implemented with the VA updates.

I would like to see this feature implemented on the Micro Cinema just incase I ever need to use a monitor other than the VA series. Plus I can just leave it on in camera and never have to worry about it again.
(I don't know if this would some how mess with the output and that's why it's only on the VA monitors)
And I can see where on the Pocket's screen this would have been imposable because of the resolution, but with the sharpness of the VA screens this works really well.

The EEFP, which Denny commented that older ENG cameras used this method and why I said traditional FP, really allows me to survey the image without the distracting focus lines and in turn nail focus and exposure quicker, and more reliably.

Along with covering a lot of the image, the "Line Focus peaking" will extend to some areas of the image which aren't quite in focus on different depth of field shots. And this sometimes gives a false portrayal of the DOF I'm shooting.
Not that's it's bad or unusable, because it's not, just in convent when it covers all the menu items, or has to be turn on and off continually. Not hating on LFP, I just prefer the EEFP now that it's a option and I've started to use it.

The EEFP just allows me to focus on the part of the image I want to be in focus and really judge the relation of the DOF on the image. While also allowing me to judge exposure in certain areas of the shot with out having to turn anything on or off. For studio or set work it's not a issue, even though I still use EEFP it in those situations. But for fast R&G work it has really helped out.

Thanks BMD Team and keep up the good work!
Tim
Vimeo.com/dropbars

Denny Smith

Re: Add traditional "Focus Peaking" to all BMD cameras.

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 5:01 am

Yes, while ENG cameras used enchanced edge or known as "peaking" for focusing, it was the EVF that had the feature, not in the camera. As I understand it, the BM EVF also supports this type of focus aid, as does my Small HD 501 and Cineroid EVF. Not sure if you can set this up in the Micro camera's menu, but they did set up the red line bit, so perhaps focus peaking (edge enhancement with white highlight) would be possible.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 6:11 pm

Yes the BMVF supports focus peaking using a white edge. You can't change it to any other colour. The sensitivity varies (low, medium, high). The white edge is useful for static objects even on the low setting of edge peaking. When you switch to coloured lines, I find red my preferred colour because it is least likely to conflict with a general outdoor scene. But it needs to be set on medium as it's almost invisible on low and very inaccurate on high as has been pointed out. I tried using the white edge for event work and found it not as easy to track moving subjects as the red. So I agree with low or medium white edge peaking in a controlled setting, but prefer medium red coloured lines otherwise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 6:20 pm

Rick, the focus peaking (not edge enhancemenu) takes some practice at learning how to use, and the more you use it, the better you will like it. It kind of grows on you. But in some low light situations, the red/green edge enhancement is easier to use. I think the BM EVF does both peaking and of course it has white/red/green edge enhancement. This is where punching in the focus point comes in handy, to see the subject focus point and focus peaking will be easier to see also, especially for us older guys with "not so good" eyesight. :mrgreen:
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 6:27 pm

Yes, I do think I'm in the habit of using red coloured lines and more frequent use of white edge peaking would get my eyes more accustomed to working with it. I'll use it for my camera tests until I become more proficient judging focus with it before I use it for client work.

Rick Lang

Timothy Cook

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 9:13 pm

Rick just to clarify, I'm not talking about white line edge enhancement focus peaking. I'm talking about the NO line edge enhancement focus peaking that the VAs have in the menu selection. What it does is adds sharpness to the objects that are in focus and leaves the out of focus areas their standard sharpness or perceived resolution.
Try it out if you have the VA, it's really the shiz!
Vimeo.com/dropbars

Denny Smith

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 10:30 pm

+1. I edited my comment to reflect what Tim said, about the differences between edge enhanc,ENF and focus peaking. As Tim mentioned, true focus peaking helps the in focus image "pop" looking sharp, the effect is also adjustable.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostThu Mar 30, 2017 12:30 am

Denny and Timothy, I may not have used the right terminology, but we are talking about the same function. See page 84 of the recent manual update. Where I mentioned you couldn't change the colour with the Peak function, I now better understand how that edge sharpening works versus the Coloured Lines. But the BMVF recognizes the URSA Mini Menu Monitor Settings for the Peak and Coloured Lines and allows you to turn on the proper effect for the selection you make in the URSA Mini Menu.

Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostThu Mar 30, 2017 12:35 am

Cool Rick, have fun with it.
Cherrs
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography