ND filter for wider lens?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Brad Ballew

ND filter for wider lens?

PostThu Mar 07, 2013 3:54 pm

So I have a variable ND I am happy with but it does me no good on my 14mm and 8mm. What solutions are there for something that packs light and could fit into my run and gun ENG shooting style for work? I have heard different reviews about larger rectangular filters and from what I can gather there are some different holder options. Can anyone with some experience give some feedback?
Brad Ballew
Director, Cinematographer, Editor, Motion Graphics
http://www.bradballew.com/

adamroberts

Re: ND filter for wider lens?

PostThu Mar 07, 2013 4:17 pm

One options would be a matte box and 4x4 or 4x5.6 filters.

If a matte box is too big and to much hassle you could look at using the same filters (get 4x4 or 4x5.6 as you can use then in a matte box at a later date) in a filter holder that is deigned for stills. Could get one from Formatt, Lee, Cokin, etc.

Here is the Formatt filter holder: http://www.formatt.co.uk/stills-filters ... ducts.aspx

Brad Ballew

PostThu Mar 07, 2013 4:56 pm

adamroberts wrote:One options would be a matte box and 4x4 or 4x5.6 filters.

If a matte box is too big and to much hassle you could look at using the same filters (get 4x4 or 4x5.6 as you can use then in a matte box at a later date) in a filter holder that is deigned for stills. Could get one from Formatt, Lee, Cokin, etc.

Here is the Formatt filter holder: http://www.formatt.co.uk/stills-filters ... ducts.aspx

Thank you. That is exactly what I am looking for. I will be getting a mattebox eventually but I need a more compact solution for my day to day work. Forgive my ignorance but the only thing I am a bit confused about is how I get this mounted on my wide angle and fisheye lenses.

They don't really have threading to screw into. Is there an adapter that fits around the exterior of the lens?

The two lenses I am needing this for are as follows:

http://www.rokinon.com/product.php?id=12

http://www.rokinon.com/product.php?id=211
Brad Ballew

sean mclennan

PostThu Mar 07, 2013 5:31 pm

well, for lenses that wide...you're really going to need a matte box setup anyway. Even *if* you find a solution to snap on a filter mount in front of the 8mm...if you don't have an enclosure, the amount of light pollution that will come in from the sides will definitely give you some reflection issues.

You would need a non-pedal shaped lens hood that mounts right up to the filter. You would have a lot of vignetting, but on the bmcc, you can probably get away with it.

So if you really are tied to this idea...you would have to shop around for:

1. a non-deal lens hood that would fit your lens
2. a snap on filter holder (which I have never seen or heard of)
or
Tape the 4.5 filter directly to the lens hood (if you REALLY have to do it)

Good luck

adamroberts

PostThu Mar 07, 2013 6:51 pm

Formatt offer a few snap on adapters. Not sure how well they would work or if they have sizes that fit your lenses. Drop them an email, they are pretty helpful.

As for light reflections from the rear, this can be addressed with a homemade doughnut made of neoprene (wetsuit material). Stretch it over the lens and presses up against the back of the adaptor. You often see DOPs on big productions putting these on the back of their matte boxes for the very reason.

Brad Ballew

PostThu Mar 07, 2013 9:11 pm

sean mclennan wrote:well, for lenses that wide...you're really going to need a matte box setup anyway. Even *if* you find a solution to snap on a filter mount in front of the 8mm...if you don't have an enclosure, the amount of light pollution that will come in from the sides will definitely give you some reflection issues.

You would need a non-pedal shaped lens hood that mounts right up to the filter. You would have a lot of vignetting, but on the bmcc, you can probably get away with it.

So if you really are tied to this idea...you would have to shop around for:

1. a non-deal lens hood that would fit your lens
2. a snap on filter holder (which I have never seen or heard of)
or
Tape the 4.5 filter directly to the lens hood (if you REALLY have to do it)

Good luck

Beginning to think I should just get a mattebox. Was planning to get one anyway for other projects. I guess i'll start looking into that tonight. If you guys have anything you have used that you would recommend then let me know. I will be looking at rails, mattebox and filters. I would like to get a quality ND (I have read about some bad color cast cause by some ND's though I forget which ones), and a polarizer. I have only ever used a circular polarizer that screwed in on the front of my lenses. I am not real familiar with square filters and the like. So please don't hesitate to share your wisdom on such matters. :)
Brad Ballew

Rakesh Malik

PostThu Mar 07, 2013 9:26 pm

Some folks on this forum recommended Lanparte's matte boxes, so I decided to give theirs a try. I ordered one of their carbon fiber ones from coollcd.com, and it arrived yesterday.

It didn't take long to assemble, as all you really need to do is attach the rods and lock them up, then slide them onto a rail set and lock it down. As far as build quality, I'm pretty impressed. It's a good match for the Shape shoulder mount I have for my not here yet Black Magic. Sigh...

Lee's filter holder system is worth a look if you need something more compact than a matte box. I have a Lee kit that I use on my 4x5, and I've been using it for years. It's modular, so I've added a 105mm ring for a round polarizer.

If portability isn't a concern, a matte box is a user friendly option. The Lanparte one was a surprise, in terms of how nice it is, given its price tag.

I'll probably be looking for a set of NDs for it, as well as a polarizer as well. The only ND filter I have right now that would fit is a graduated 3-stop ND from Schneider. I'm going to need some ND filters that aren't graduated, plus probably a square polarizing filter that will fit the matte box.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

adamroberts

PostThu Mar 07, 2013 10:02 pm

On the subject of NDs remember that the BMCC suffers from IR pollution. The more ND you add the more red is added to your shadows.

If you are investing in NDs you might wanna consider IR NDs like Tiffen Hot Mirror or Formatt Pro Stop IR. Expensive but better to buy once rather than waste money.

You'll probably not notice it with 0.3 (1stop) and 0.6 (2stop) ND but its very noticeable above that.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostThu Mar 07, 2013 11:38 pm

adamroberts wrote:On the subject of NDs remember that the BMCC suffers from IR pollution. The more ND you add the more red is added to your shadows.

If you are investing in NDs you might wanna consider IR NDs like Tiffen Hot Mirror or Formatt Pro Stop IR. Expensive but better to buy once rather than waste money.

You'll probably not notice it with 0.3 (1stop) and 0.6 (2stop) ND but its very noticeable above that.

Adam is correct, but just to be clear: IR pollution is not solely an issue for BMCC users, as this video demonstrates:

Cheers.

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Mar 07, 2013 11:40 pm

Tiffen will be showing new filters at NAB, i would try hold off on getting some if you can. I just got a Tiffen IRND1.5 4x4 for my mattebox because i NEEDED it (i already had a 1.2ND but not IR). Some of the new diffusion/ir/nd combos coming out could be really useful and reduce the amount of glass you need to put in front of your lens:

As for the BMC we will be showing the New IR VARIABLE ND at NAB. Plus a wide range of IRND combined with Diffusion filters, such as IRND Black ProMist, IRND Digital Diffusion FX and IRND GlimmerGlass.

via:
Carey Duffy
MPTV Filter Group Consultant
Tiffen International Ltd
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Return to Cinematography