BMPCC - Internal Mic TWEAK (Clear Sound)

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Eric Gonzalez

BMPCC - Internal Mic TWEAK (Clear Sound)

PostMon Apr 03, 2017 5:16 am

Greetings to all users and fellow Blackmagic aficionados!

This is my first post on the forum, as I've been an avid watcher/checker here and the tips and advice from you all have been an amazing help and value to my usage of BM products. I wanted to post my first tip to everyone out there who has a Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera, and *may* want to use the internal mics for whatever reason.

Also, if this all seems TL/DR, or obvious, I apologize. I only intended to inform and inspire. Cheers!

Perhaps someone on here has already posted about the internal mics and outboard fixes that make the BMPCC a great usable solution for audio. As an audio engineer myself, I wanted to dig in deeper into the BMPCC's recording system and shed some light on my findings.

So I've seen many posts here (and everywhere else online) where users speak about the BMPCC's internal mics, and how they are very bad for recording anything usable. That got me to thinking... Why is that?

I started by recording a RAW video, all settings set to maximum quality, and audio settings to their defaults, using the Internal microphones, so that I could grab the unaltered WAV file for analyzing. After transferring to the computer, what I heard was just... YUCK!

I loaded up my favorite DAW, and opened a spectrum analyzer. These were my findings:

RAW Audio coming from the BMPCC is recorded at 48,000KHz, 2 Channel (Stereo), encapsulated as an uncompressed 'WAV' file. Pretty impressive sampling rate, two channels of audio, and should be able to include enough data for the high-end frequency spectrum, right? Well...

It seems that Blackmagic have placed a Lo-pass filter on their final output stage, set to about 4.00KHz, rolling off ALL of the audio data from 4KHz and above, with about a -40db reduction in volume.

I intended to check if this frequency range of audio was restorable in post. I loaded a few instances of 8-band Equalizers, and started applying a boost roll-off of frequency ranges from 4KHz, all the way to 20,000KHz, to keep things linear and smooth. The problem was, one instance of an EQ was not enough to bring up the gain in that range to the audible level yet. So I added another EQ with duplicated settings to the chain.

After some further tweaking... Success! The highs were THERE and equalized! The data is actually in the file, all being recorded perfectly! So why was it that Blackmagic placed this filter there? I kept listening... and I found out why.

There seems to be a bit of high-frequency interference at a few bands of the spectrum up there, always at the same spots in the analyzer. This is due to the very complex circuitry involved in the capturing of video through the lens, the sensors, and various other chips and ICs that create these high-pitched noises. No problem, I applied about 3 notch filters onto my EQ's, honed in on the exact frequency that the noises were being emitted from, and applied a precise cut to them.

The resulting audio when A/B'ed against original file was just amazing. Crisp highs, great mids that were already there, and I'd say a decent low frequency range being captured as well. All from the built-in microphones! Now, I know... this may be extra work that people would need to do just to get a better recording out of some built in microphones when there are surely better outboard alternatives out there. But I figured I'd give it a shot, and it worked.

I have uploaded a test recording of the audio unaltered, and the audio processed using my above-mentioned EQ chain. WAVs needed to be converted to MP3s to save space on the upload. Since recording from the microphone, the only setting that applies is 'Microphone Input' on the BMPCC. I had mine set to 100%. Levels were checked for peaking, no peaks. You may hear some hiss when hearing the EQ'ed version, this is due to having to play my music at a lower level than usual since it was late at night. If you perform your own tests with louder sound, your results may be better.

BMPCC - RAW Audio: dropbox.com/s/v13ditom3i4anj1/BMPCC%20-%20RAW%20Audio.mp3?dl=0

BMPCC - High Freq Restoration: dropbox.com/s/u8xechtqtkmcpai/BMPCC%20-%20High%20Freq%20Restoration.mp3?dl=0

Note: The audio recorded was in a quiet room, with my audio system about 2 feet away from the BMPCC microphones, playing some music. The sound you hear is the microphones picking up ambient audio, and sound from my audio system speakers.

The fix I applied took about 5 minutes in post. Creating a preset after tweaking would make it even faster. As always, you are encouraged to make your own tweaks and see if you can rid some of those HF beeps as well. I'm sure given more time, I (or anyone else who's experienced in audio post-production) could make better tweaks to the audio and make it 99.999 better.

I hope that this information could potentially help people with BMPCCs who may need to record using the built-in microphones for whatever reason needed. It surely helped me, and I plan to actually use the built-in microphones to see just how far I can take them when creating films.

Marco Barbaro

Re: BMPCC - Internal Mic TWEAK (Clear Sound)

PostMon Apr 03, 2017 7:20 pm

I appreciate the big work, but the main problem of the BMPCC are not the microphones, but the ADCs.

There is a big "hiss" noise always present even working with external high-grade audio gear with +4dBu output.

Stu Aitken

PostMon Apr 03, 2017 7:44 pm

still, that's a pretty awesome post I would say

very interesting :)

Eric Gonzalez

PostMon Apr 03, 2017 8:25 pm

Marco Barbaro wrote:I appreciate the big work, but the main problem of the BMPCC are not the microphones, but the ADCs.

There is a big "hiss" noise always present even working with external high-grade audio gear with +4dBu output.

Thanks Marco and Stu!,

Yeah, I've heard about the hiss issue with the built-in preamps. I'm going to test against a Zoom H6 with its preamp and see how much the Signal-to-noise ratio differs, just for fun. I know this fix is a bit overkill for serious shoots, but if anyone ever had a need for desperate scratch audio with improved quality (which is what happened for a shoot in my situation) this tweak definitely helped.

Marco Barbaro

PostTue Apr 04, 2017 12:06 am

just made the same test a few weeks ago, with a Zoom H5 and a M-Audio Microtrack through onboard mics (Zoom and M-Audio) and external video microphones (Rode Stereovideomic pro). The difference is immense.

Uli Plank

PostTue Apr 04, 2017 3:13 am

Do you mean with the same tweaks for external audio or tweaked internal vs normal external?
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Marco Barbaro

PostThu Apr 06, 2017 3:25 pm

anything internal vs normal external.
imho the most cheap and good audio mod is a Zoom H1 with the headphone output connected to the bmpcc input set to line.
next step is external microphones with external recorder.

even getting an external good microphone (like the 200$ rode stereovideomic pro) is a waste of money if you plug it directly into the bmpcc input.

Denny Smith

PostThu Apr 06, 2017 4:05 pm

Eric didn't say the tweaked internal audio in the BMPCC was great audio, just better than before it was tweaked, and was useable as location sounds, and cleaner for a scratch track. External audiomin a good audio recorder is always going to be better than internal audio on most cameras.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Jan Orrghen

PostSun May 14, 2017 5:56 am

Eric, I appreciate your post a lot, it adorns the internet.

sedrocks

PostMon Oct 19, 2020 8:27 pm

Thank you very much Eric for this post! I am requesting to call upon your audio knowledge here... I really love the internal microphone sound on the BMCC 6K due to its ability to record gunfire in its most native sounding form. For the life of me...I've been looking for a separate microphone to record additional audio tracks that have the same or near same specifications as the internal mic on the BMCC 6K.

Could you please provide me with some advice on how I can find a microphone like that since you used an actual spectrum analyzer? You help will be GREATLY appreciated. I am very anxious for your reply!

Return to Cinematography