Recording to FCPX or Media Express from my BMCC.

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

MissionFilm

Recording to FCPX or Media Express from my BMCC.

PostThu Mar 07, 2013 9:33 pm

Anyone no the process of recording straight to FCPX? Is it possible? Or do you have to you Blackmagic Media Express? FCPX isnt recognizing my BMCC. If you have to use Media Express what are the steps for recording that way? Thanks

adamroberts

Re: Recording to FCPX or Media Express from my BMCC.

PostThu Mar 07, 2013 9:49 pm

My understanding is that FCPX can only record from the iSight camera. Apple have not opened up the ability to capture from other devices.

To record in Media Express connect the camera via Thunderbolt and launch Media Express. The camera should get recognised and you can then record in ProRes or DNxHD to a drive connected to the machine.

rick.lang

Re: Recording to FCPX or Media Express from my BMCC.

PostFri Mar 08, 2013 10:47 pm

MissionFilm wrote:Anyone no the process of recording straight to FCPX? Is it possible? Or do you have to you Blackmagic Media Express? FCPX isnt recognizing my BMCC. If you have to use Media Express what are the steps for recording that way? Thanks

I don't have the BMCC. But I think I recall someone saying to let the camera run in record mode for a few seconds to give Media Express Time to detect the video signal. If Media Express doesn't see the camera right away, that might be the trick to have it show up.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography