D-tap on BMD V-mount battery plate not working?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Emilian Dechev

D-tap on BMD V-mount battery plate not working?

PostFri Apr 07, 2017 9:56 am

On the UM4.6K, I was trying to power my Video Assist 5" through the Blackmagic v-mount battery plate D-tap port, since it is regulated to 12v.

There is no voltage at all coming out from that D-tap.

I am not missing a "on/off" switch or something? Should I return the battery plate under warranty?

Thanks.

Denny Smith

Re: D-tap on BMD V-mount battery plate not working?

PostFri Apr 07, 2017 4:02 pm

There is no switch, the DTap gets its power from the camera, you can power the camera with the mains plug, then check the voltage on the DTap, and/or on the little plug the plate connects to to make sure the return 12VDC is being sent from the camera. If so, then it is the battery plate. Otherwise, it could be the camera. In either case, I would contact BM Support office in your region.

You can also power the VA from the EVF power plug (4-pin XLR on the front side of the camera. I would check to make sure this plug is also outputting 12VDC.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Xtreemtec

PostFri Apr 07, 2017 5:55 pm

If i remember correctly there is a fuse between the 10/12pin connector of the plate and the dtap Out..
Could Be blown.. But Im not Sure anymore. You could check this ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Emilian Dechev

PostWed Apr 12, 2017 8:01 pm

I got the plate to the store today. There is indeed a fuse inside, but it was not blown.

They said, there may be something wrong in the connector going from the plate to the camera.

The plate was returned in warranty, the new one works alright :)

Denny Smith

PostWed Apr 12, 2017 8:57 pm

Ah, then it was a wiring issue in the battery mount. Good, easily sorted.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Xtreemtec

PostThu Mar 22, 2018 1:07 pm

Well got my Ursa Broadcast yesterday and unpacking today.. :D I knew i had a BMD plate still laying around here and wired it up again with the right cable..

To find out that the Fuse is missing...... The fuse PCB mentions 30A But not "Fuse 30A"
30Amps sounds like a lot..

Checked the Manual, could not find the fuse, checked website could not find power needs of the camera. :x
The DC adapter says 12V 8.33A == 100W of power when direct powered on the XLR4.

But with a Battery (15V 100W/15V = 6.7A.) Say you need some more because of start up peek current.. So i guess 10A slow will be good..
Can someone verify this for me? I even find it strange that nowhere is a mention about the fuse and it's specs.... :? And if i had the old one in place i would have known right haha..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Tony Esposito

PostThu Mar 22, 2018 9:04 pm

Can you post a link to some footage in low light especially or at least your opinion on how it looks. There is very little footage out there and it will be the yes or no for me to grab one. It's getting mixed reviews and the only one on BH bashes it for picture quality. Blackmagic should do videos quick instead of thinking NAB only will showcase it.

Frank Glencairn

PostSun Mar 25, 2018 11:11 am

Here you go:

http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

I told you so :-)

Denny Smith

PostSun Mar 25, 2018 4:43 pm

Those are nice shots on the UM 4.6 Frank, but I think Tony is looking or wanting low light footage from the new Ursa Broadcast Camera Daniel just received. That said, the Broadcast Camera is not really a low,light camera like the UM4.6 is, as the Broadcast Native ISO is 400.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography