Selling Stock Footage

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

timbutt2

Selling Stock Footage

PostFri Apr 07, 2017 11:59 pm

I've double checked and haven't seen any topic about this. I wanted to get people's opinions in selling stock footage. Primarily I want to know if anyone has had success doing this, and what websites they have had success doing it on.

I'm asking because someone recently told me that a lot of my footage looks great and could be used on a stock footage website. They aren't someone who has made money doing so, but they were giving a suggestion. So, I wanted to know if it was worth it from the community.

Thank you everyone.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Stephen Press

Re: Selling Stock Footage

PostSat Apr 08, 2017 7:28 am

I'm just trying out Pond5. It took a little longer to set up than I thought it would. 4K video seeming to be the best return but my main issue right now is uploading as my internet upload speed is painful it keeps timing out. There is an FTP option but I've been too busy to sort it.
"A cameraman with out a camera is just a man"

timbutt2

PostSat Apr 08, 2017 3:48 pm

Thank you for sharing Stephen. I checked out Pond5, and I have an additional question:

16x9 (1.78:1) or 2.4:1 footage for stock footage sites? I shoot a lot of my test footage, which is what would be stock footage, in 2.4:1 because I really like that aspect ratio. So, the question becomes is anyone having success with stock footage in 2.4:1, or is 16x9 the way to go for stock footage?
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Ben McAllister

PostMon May 08, 2017 10:03 am

I have been doing stock for a while now. As a side hobby, its fine though I wouldn't recommend anybody to make a career out of it. The golden days of stock and microstock are over and its reaching saturation point with everyone uploading holiday snaps for sale. However if you have good footage of commercial value then by all means go for it!
I'd stick to 16:9 footage as the vast majority stock buyers are delivering HD or UHD. Some sites won't accept anything else.
Pond5 is not as good as it used to be, stay away from iStock (never go exclusive) and try Shutterstock - by far my biggest earner.
Check out: http://www.microstockgroup.com/
its mostly a forum for stock photos but there is a fair bit of chatter about video as well - a lot of whining going on there but worth a look nontheless.
Good luck...

Return to Cinematography