Ursa Mini Pro Tripod Mount for Sachtler Head

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

John Richard

Ursa Mini Pro Tripod Mount for Sachtler Head

PostWed Apr 12, 2017 2:02 pm

The Shoulder Mount Kit for the Ursa Mini Pro does not work with a Sachtler tripod head. Anyone figured out a modification solution to allow quick shoulder to Sachtler tripod mount?

John Richard

Re: Ursa Mini Pro Tripod Mount for Sachtler Head

PostWed Apr 12, 2017 3:35 pm

Answer: Sony VCT-14 Quick-Release Tripod Adapter

Have not personally installed and used as of yet, but 2 reviews on B&H site report this adapter plate works with the Ursa Shoulder Mount kit.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/49906-REG/Sony_VCT14_VCT_14_Quick_Release_Tripod_Adapter.html

Info for others scratching their heads on how to use this BM Kit with their tripod plates.
P.S. - Zacuto rigs apparently have a slightly different mounting adapter that is available thru Zacuto and their distributors - but from what I've read, this Zacuto adapter does not easily work with non-Zacuto equipment due to a front pin piece in their plate so do your research.

Denny Smith

PostWed Apr 12, 2017 3:43 pm

The Sony VCT-14 Quick-Release plate is what you want. It has several sliding mounting points under it for both 3/8 and 1/4 bolts to secure the Sachtler mounting plate tomthe VCT-14, with quite a lot of fore and aft adjustment to balance the camera in the tripod. One the balance point is found, tighten the mounting plate up snug to the VCT-14, and Bobs your Uncle. :mrgreen:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Jason R. Johnston

PostWed Apr 12, 2017 4:00 pm

Side note: remember VCT-14 and VCT-U14 are different. Also, Zacuto plays best with Zacuto.
JASONRJOHNSTON.COM | CINEMATOGRAPHER | DIRECTOR | EDITOR | COLORIST
RED Komodo | DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5 | 2023 MacBook M2 Pro 14

Denny Smith

PostWed Apr 12, 2017 4:21 pm

Yes, avoid Zacuto and the VCT-U14
Cheers.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Paul R. Williams

PostWed Apr 12, 2017 5:38 pm

ENG situation
I use the Sachtler FSB-8 Fluid head which has a side-release quick-release plate. The Sony VCT-14 is mounted onto this plate which then allows the VCT-14 to be adjusted forwards and backwards on the head for balancing. The URSA EF and the URSA Mini Pro with the shoulder mount attached fit easily onto the VCT-14.
Film Situation
I bought a spare Sachtler quick-release plate which I attach directly to the URSA Mini Pro instead of the shoulder mount. This allows the camera to be attached interchangeably to the FSB-8 head or to the DGS Glidecam for mobile shots.
Paul R. Williams
    BMPC4K, URSA EF 4K, URSA Mini Pro 4.6K (EF/PL), BMPCC 6K Pro
    SanDisk SSDs & Lexar CFast & Samsung T5 & T7
    SmallRig rigging elements
    iMacPro (2017) 3.2 GHz Intel Xeon W/32 GB/Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB

timbutt2

PostWed Apr 12, 2017 7:34 pm

Denny Smith wrote:The Sony VCT-14 Quick-Release plate is what you want. It has several sliding mounting points under it for both 3/8 and 1/4 bolts to secure the Sachtler mounting plate tomthe VCT-14, with quite a lot of fore and aft adjustment to balance the camera in the tripod. One the balance point is found, tighten the mounting plate up snug to the VCT-14, and Bobs your Uncle. :mrgreen:
Cheers

I always mark the outline of the plate with China Markers in case I have to remove the VCT from the tripod plate. That way I can always quickly find my marks and the placement of the plate so that balance is always consistent. It's a good method that I thought I'd share.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Return to Cinematography