What Monitor??

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Tom Baldwin

What Monitor??

PostWed Apr 12, 2017 2:43 pm

I have a Ursa Mini 4.6K and a Aputure HDMI Monitor which I hope would of worked but have read won't without a convertor. Dont really want to add a convertor to the rig so would rather purchase a new monitor.

Could you guys please suggest some options for monitors that plug directly in to the Ursa?

Not looking to break the bank as this is purely to use on the Ronin M Gimbal so I can see what I'm filming apposed to guessing :D

Focus peaking would be a bonus as well as a included sun hood but not necessary.

Many thanks,

Tom

(Im in the UK in case that helps)

Denny Smith

Re: What Monitor??

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 4:14 pm

Tom, Ikan makes several good inexpensive monitors that would work, as well as BM's own Video Assist (5-inch model) that a lot of shooters use with the Ursa Mini on a gimbal. On the higher end, are the Small HD 500 and 70@ series monitors, which are very good. I use a 501 with my BM Micro cameras, but you would need a 502 or 702 lite ($800) to get SDI inputs.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Chris Clifton

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 9:40 pm

The BMD 4K Video Assist monitor is a perfect fit for my UMP and also provides backup recording which can be used as proxies from the camera in UHD or 1080p ProRes with audio. It was a no-brainer for me to have that kind of insurance, and is not too heavy or bulky. On a gimbal, possibly too heavy. I've spent a lot more on monitors without recorders built-in.

Uli Plank

PostFri Apr 14, 2017 6:48 am

Yes, monitors with SDI don't come much cheaper than the VA, so why not get that extra backup?

I'll soon have a Neway 5,5" with SDI here and I'm gonna check the colors against the VA.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Louis Kreusel

PostFri Apr 14, 2017 5:48 pm

A little shameless sales pitch here but could be useful to someone:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162444711182?ul_noapp=true

I'm selling my SmallHD DP6 with SDI, HDMI and lots of extra stuff. Great monitor, well built, good features and updatable firmware. Selling since I don't use it much as I'm working in post-production now. I currently have an offer for $500 on it for the next 40 hours.
Colorist using DaVinci Resolve and Assimilate Scratch
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3533289/

Rutger Groenhuijsen

PostSun Apr 16, 2017 11:14 am

The aputure VS-5 is very nice as well. Lots of features for a reasonable price. Display is great, SDI and HDMI inputs, waveform/vectorscope/parade and it comes with a very nice sunhood.

There were some issues with an input lag, but that has been fixed through a firmware update.

Return to Cinematography