URSA Mini Pro 4-Channel Audio

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

joshpappas

URSA Mini Pro 4-Channel Audio

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 6:25 pm

I am renting the Ursa Mini Pro for an upcoming project and am planning my audio setup. Ideally, I want to record 4 channels of audio in-camera (2ch internal plus 2 external XLR). The most recent version of the camera's manual was released in early March, and it says the following:

The audio settings for your URSA Mini Pro 4.6K are spread over two pages and divided between channels 1 and 2, while an upcoming software update will add two additional channels.

Has that software update been released yet? I didn't see this mentioned in any of the recent release notes, but a number of reviews about the camera already mention 4-channel audio support.

Chris Clifton

Re: URSA Mini Pro 4-Channel Audio

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 9:20 pm

Currently only two channels of audio can be accessed. Firmware upgrade not out yet. However, if you get the 4K Video Assist with the camera, it has two channels you can feed with mini XLR's from a mixer/other source. The SDI out of Main on the camera feeds the VA it's audio unless you override it directly with mini XLR's. I haven't tried this yet. Just got the mini XLR cable in so will try it next.

Denny Smith

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 11:58 pm

The VA will only record two channels of audio, either the imbedded audio from the camera or external audio from the XLR. The only external recorder monitor I know of that will support more than two channels of audio, is the Video Devices Pix E wi the LR, it will record upto 4-channels imbedded audio and two additional tracks from the LR XLR imputs. With the LR attached you get great mic preamps, with full mixer processing and you can assign which audio track records imbedded and the XLR external feeds.

This was one of the main reasons I so,d my VA and got the PixE. The PixE records to eSata drives, which are larger than a SD, but smaller than SSDs (think two SD cards stacked one on top the other, with a USB connector on one end).
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

joshpappas

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 8:36 pm

Thanks for the suggestions!

Return to Cinematography