URSA Mini Pro 4-Channel Audio

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

joshpappas

URSA Mini Pro 4-Channel Audio

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 6:25 pm

I am renting the Ursa Mini Pro for an upcoming project and am planning my audio setup. Ideally, I want to record 4 channels of audio in-camera (2ch internal plus 2 external XLR). The most recent version of the camera's manual was released in early March, and it says the following:

The audio settings for your URSA Mini Pro 4.6K are spread over two pages and divided between channels 1 and 2, while an upcoming software update will add two additional channels.

Has that software update been released yet? I didn't see this mentioned in any of the recent release notes, but a number of reviews about the camera already mention 4-channel audio support.

Chris Clifton

Re: URSA Mini Pro 4-Channel Audio

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 9:20 pm

Currently only two channels of audio can be accessed. Firmware upgrade not out yet. However, if you get the 4K Video Assist with the camera, it has two channels you can feed with mini XLR's from a mixer/other source. The SDI out of Main on the camera feeds the VA it's audio unless you override it directly with mini XLR's. I haven't tried this yet. Just got the mini XLR cable in so will try it next.

Denny Smith

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 11:58 pm

The VA will only record two channels of audio, either the imbedded audio from the camera or external audio from the XLR. The only external recorder monitor I know of that will support more than two channels of audio, is the Video Devices Pix E wi the LR, it will record upto 4-channels imbedded audio and two additional tracks from the LR XLR imputs. With the LR attached you get great mic preamps, with full mixer processing and you can assign which audio track records imbedded and the XLR external feeds.

This was one of the main reasons I so,d my VA and got the PixE. The PixE records to eSata drives, which are larger than a SD, but smaller than SSDs (think two SD cards stacked one on top the other, with a USB connector on one end).
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

joshpappas

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 8:36 pm

Thanks for the suggestions!

Gavin_c_clark

PostSat Dec 08, 2018 5:17 am

The manual for the mini pro states an additional two channels of audio will be added in a future update- is this still on the development pad?

Also it can take AES audio through xlr - can these be stereo?

4 channel onboard audio would be a massive stress reducer for one man crews like myself!

Denny Smith

PostSat Dec 08, 2018 6:33 am

You can record two channels of audio with a stereo feed via AES on the Ursa Mini Pro and Ursa Broadcast Cameras. But 4 channels is not available yet, so you only can assign two inputs at one tome from the XLRs, be it AES, Mic or Line input, or a combo of any two.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Gavin_c_clark

PostSat Dec 08, 2018 11:09 am

Thanks Denny.

Since it’s not yet available, I want to use my Zoom F4 to record all the mics I normally end up using spread over three cameras.

With a tentacle on the f4 I can feed the mini pro timecode with cable by mounting the F4 on the mini pro. My mini 4.6 and my pocket 4k can just have tentacles on them now I know the pocket takes ltc through the mini jack.

I want to record on the zoom but also use the main outs as inputs onto the mini pro. The zoom outputs at -10dbv but I believe the mini pro expects +4dbv.

So my question is- to avoid any distortion in the mini pro audio recordings do I feed it mic level (-40 from the zoom? Or would -10 be ok? What is the best way to do this?

I’m not an audio guy by the way just want to have a good quality audio track from my multi cam multi presenter work.

I’m fine with using the mini pro audio as the final audio and digging into the zoom files where needed.

Ps blackmagic please release the four channel update and my wish list is completely filled!

Denny Smith

PostSat Dec 08, 2018 6:53 pm

You can get an active DBox, to convert the -10dB unbalanced audio to a balanced +4 dB signal, which is the way I would solve this. Otherwise, do a test and see how the Mic level signal works. However, still have unbalanced/balanced signal impedance mismatch. I use a Sound Devices MixPre to solve these issues, it works great. Another option is to forget the Zoom, and just upgrade and get in of the new MixPres that can record multi-tracks and has a TC connection.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Gavin_c_clark

PostSun Dec 09, 2018 6:29 pm

Cheers Denny

The dbox’s seem like a good choice. I tried it fed at mic level and for my uses that works great.

I was considering sound devices kit, but concluded for the amount I use them not worth the extra just yet (I still handover most jobs at 640 x 480 believe it or not)

Might get a used sd mixer though, but I think I’ll wait and see what the mini pro’s 4 channel on board recording is like first

Dennis Sørensen

PostTue Sep 24, 2019 1:06 pm

Its still not in there.. It has been 2.5 years. It must be because they cant do it then eventhou its still in the manual.

Gavin_c_clark

PostTue Sep 24, 2019 3:34 pm

+1

4 track audio in camera (don’t know how it would work) would be a huge plus ... and it has been promised in the manual since launch and still is

Denny Smith

PostTue Sep 24, 2019 3:38 pm

I believe the manual originally stated 4-channels of audio inputs, not 4-tracks of recorded audio. There is a difference, and while the camera has 4-audio inputs, only two are supported at any one time, which is a bummer. :(
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Gavin_c_clark

PostTue Sep 24, 2019 8:15 pm

Denny

Apologies if I’m being a bit thick by where are the four inputs? I only have 2 xlr inputs- are you suggesting they support stereo? The camera doesn’t seem to work that way but maybe I’m missing something?
Attachments
424E6C37-59ED-4D92-8BE2-E58C18F3E19F.jpeg
424E6C37-59ED-4D92-8BE2-E58C18F3E19F.jpeg (50.11 KiB) Viewed 3191 times

rick.lang

PostTue Sep 24, 2019 8:46 pm

2 XLR or 2 camera mics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostTue Sep 24, 2019 8:52 pm

You have two XLRs, both of which support AES Line inputs, which gives 2-audio inputs per AES single XLR connection, so potentially you have four inputs, but you can only use one at a time, either two on one XLR or one per each XLR. As Rick pointed out, the camera mics offer two more audio sources.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Ed_Mantle

PostSat Sep 28, 2019 12:34 am

Could they have been thinking about (but never fully developing the idea) based on the 2 x XLR inputs from the fiber converter? So you have 2 native on the camera and 2 on the converter, skipping AES altogether?

Denny Smith

PostSat Sep 28, 2019 1:18 am

That is another good thought. ;)
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Stephen Fitzgerald

PostSat Sep 28, 2019 8:19 pm

I’d love to just have the 4 channels be internal. So like two inputs, but relay recording on each. That way you could have levels be protected on each input. DO THAT!

Bigredfirecracker

PostTue May 03, 2022 11:23 pm

On this topic, I have a 2 channel wireless mic setup with a stereo 3.5mm output, the kit (Comica Audio CVM-WM200A) comes with a single XLR to 3.5mm stereo cable. Can I get both channels of audio into the UMP with this cable or do I need a 3.5mm stereo to 2 x XLRs?

Return to Cinematography