URSA Mini File Naming?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Geoff Cockwill

URSA Mini File Naming?

PostTue Apr 25, 2017 9:06 pm

Hi everyone

I think I know the answer to this but wanted to check anyway!

With my old BMPC4K I could name each new project and it's clips as per the project name.

I can't seem to do this on my URSA - all I can do is name a single letter for the camera name.

When I shoot multiple projects on one card, I have no way of knowing what clips are from what as each file is named A001 and then date, time etc.

Can anyone tell me if I am missing something or if I actually can't name things like the BMPC could?

Thanks
Geoff

rick.lang

URSA Mini File Naming?

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 4:47 am

Swipe left or right on the monitor and select the Project tab. You can enter a meaningful name in the metadata, but the clip name will use that single character. To help organize my folders, I use B when shooting with the B4 mount and P when shooting with the PL mount.

The clip name no longer includes the Year so I create a Year folder like 2017 and another folder for each project within that year and copy the clips to that folder. After each use of a card, I format with the card name incrementing by one such as P037, P038, B040...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Geoff Cockwill

Re: URSA Mini File Naming?

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 5:54 am

Thanks for replying.

I've used the Clip menu already but must admit the option of only a single letter for the "camera / project" name is immensely frustrating.

Very time consuming separating three separate projects worth of footage off a card because they all have uniform names!

If you're reading Blackmagic - let us name files like the Production camera can!

Return to Cinematography