Could the micro cinema ever get 4k?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Ryan Payne

Could the micro cinema ever get 4k?

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 3:50 pm

is it possible with the sensor? I understand that without something like the new uhs-2 sd cards it's not possible to get that kind of transfer rate at raw but what about at any of the prores codecs? or maybe even if we had to have a hdmi feed only option for external recording?

The option would be nice if possible is all.

Denny Smith

Re: Could the micro cinema ever get 4k?

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 5:53 pm

ProRes codec recording takes more horsepower from the camera than Raw 3:1, just transfer rates are less for a ProRes, so if you did ProRes only, UHS2 SD cards could handle this, but currently, only a few SD cards can even do this, and are only available up to 128GB. So yiumwiyld have more heat and would need a slightly larger body to accommodate increased cooling, could keep same cube shape, just increase the size.

BM has already has the Micro Studio 4K, which eliminated the recording module, and saved heat, to keep it the same size, etc. Even if BM came out with a Cine update of this camera adding Film Log to its output, and then you add the monitor/recorder of choice. Adding a 4K 5-inch VA, without the added audio inputs to the mix, gives another more compact 4K recording option. This would make an excellent interm small 4K S16 camera, until a better 4K sensor with a similar IQ to the current Pocket/Micro Cinema sensor becomes available to build the next generation Pocket/Micro Cinema 4K camera.

I am currently using the Micro Studio with a PixE 4K recorder monitor (5-inch) and this combo works nicely. Keeping the recorder/ monitor separate makes flying one on a gimbal easily done, with smaller rigs like the Ronin M. Adding film log output would increase grading choices, and allow for ISO and color adjustments in post.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Ryan Payne

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 2:09 am

I agree a logical step would be to add a film log output setting to the 4k micro but seeing as the micro can out put 4k over sdi and the micro cinema has essentially the same internals would it be possible to get 4k out over HDMI and not internal? Would be awesome to increase the longevity of this little beast when paired up with a VA 4k or an atomos inferno etc.

Ryan Payne

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 2:49 am

To add to this 4k on the HDMI out would open up a serious potential for either a dji-black magic 4k micro drone with raw recording inside the drone or even black magics very own first drone!!

The drone could record pro res and raw to 4k via HDMI. I'm not sure how much power/heat not internally recording would free up but it would be amazing to get 4k 24/25/30/60 and 1080 120p as outputs.

If they could pull it off the micro range would get a serious boost.

I know I'm probably dreaming here but one can wish!

Denny Smith

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 6:00 pm

Why do you want to use HDMI, a small SDI DIN connection takes less room, and is a more reliable connection, especially in a drone! I used to be an aerial photographer, and all the camera cable connections were locking type connections. While today's drones are smoother with less vibrations, yiumstill do not want a camera/recorder connection coming loose in flight!

The Micro Cinema camera sensor is not 4K, it is only slightly less that a 2K sensor. The Micro Studio 4K sensor creates more heat at 4K resolution, so the room in the camera formly used form the SD recorder is used for cooling, I would guess (I didn't tyke one apart - yet). So adding film log to the Micro Studio, gives you a 4K Micro camera you can use for Cine filming applications, where you want the extra latitude for grading your shots. No re-engineering of the camera body required, unless the Micro Studio camera video processor is not able to render a 4K "film log" video signal at 10-bit, 4.2.2 stream.
Cheers.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Yuri Gagarin

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 11:13 pm

Why 4k? ~3k with good AAF is still a killer.

Return to Cinematography