Micro Studio 4K LOG (BMD FILM)

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Timothy Cook

Micro Studio 4K LOG (BMD FILM)

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 5:46 am

I'm curious if there is any possible way to implement BMD Film into the MS4K camera?
Would it be possible to to remove the REC 709 video output, which the MS4K currently only outputs, to BMD Film and have the VA 7" record it as 10bit Prores log?

I can assume it would have the same effect as what happens on the Pocket and Micro when switching between Video and Film, meaning a huge difference in color and DR.

It may not be a RAW small form factor camera with BMD color science and DR that a lot of Pocket/Micro users are asking for, including myself, but I would defiantly buy a Micro 4K 10 bit Prores BMD Film log camera, that shoots to UHS-II cards on the VA 7".

I've tried finding out if implementing log is more processor labor intensive, but I can't find anything definitive on the subject. I would assume the LOG would be easier because it comes first in the chain of data processing or at least it parallel to adding REC 709 video.

Thanks, and anyone can answer this isn't necessarily directed at BMD.
Vimeo.com/dropbars

Denny Smith

Re: Micro Studio 4K LOG (BMD FILM)

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 6:39 am

Tim, I would also be interested in having a film log option on the Micro Studio. But, it is a TV Production Camera designed for live switching, so Rec 709 is the image of choice in this application. That said, with good lighting and careful exposure and Color Balance, you can create some stunning images with this camera in "ready to go" Rec 809, very little post production changes required, other than some minor tweaks.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Joshua Dredge

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 7:08 am

is the only thing the camera is truly missing I think.

rick.lang

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 2:27 pm

Very interesting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Timothy Cook

PostSat Apr 29, 2017 1:56 am

Denny Smith wrote:Tim, I would also be interested in having a film log option on the Micro Studio. But, it is a TV Production Camera designed for live switching, so Rec 709 is the image of choice in this application. That said, with good lighting and careful exposure and Color Balance, you can create some stunning images with this camera in "ready to go" Rec 809, very little post production changes required, other than some minor tweaks.
Cheers

I understand the use and why BMD released this camera, but it seems like now with their new broadcast recorders and switchers they are try to show how productions can record in LOG and then add the Look/ Lut or a personal color grade in realtime in the studio. I just think it would be great to have all their studio cameras line up with LOG and not just the Ursa Mini in the Studio configuration.
I mean what if you are using both? A Ursa Mini or two for the main cameras and a few Micro Studios down on stage or tucked away somewhere. One set will be pipping in BMD FILM LOG to convert in real time to whatever you desire and the others will be pipping in that nasty Video 709. Not great for matching, right?

It maybe a completely different beast but if you switch from film to video on the Pocket or Micro Cinema the image isn't even close. The highlights blow a lot quicker and the blacks crush super easy. Not to mention you have just a little latitude to play with and tweak the colors.

Y'all know me and how I feel about BMD and what they have opened up for us truly low budget shooters, I can't say thanks enough :) But Maybe the Micro Studio was the first camera that they, dare I say, crippled to prevent it from stepping on the toes of others? I highly doubt it but it makes you wonder. :P

I've seen some of the test shots with the Micro Studio over on BMCuser and they look great, but I can't help but wonder how much the image would benefit from BMD Film.
Hey there is always time for future firmware updates, and who knows since their push for studio LOG output a few months ago maybe it is already in the works.

Joshua Dredge wrote:is the only thing the camera is truly missing I think.

I know right? How cool would a Micro 10bit Prores 4K log (BMD FILM) camera be? I would literally be my end all be all gimbal camera.

Good talk guys.
Vimeo.com/dropbars

Denny Smith

PostSat Apr 29, 2017 4:39 am

I agree, adding for on log to the Micro 4K would be great! :mrgreen:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

spitandspite

PostSat Mar 24, 2018 1:13 am

Has there been any movement in this area?

The ursa mini has video & film right so is there a logistical/hardware issue that doesn't allow the MS4K kick out film/log?

Are we supposed to do a hack such as using a flat LUT via the 3DLUT input on the video assist instead?

New to BMD and have the MS4K and really think this is the only thing that irks me... any info appreciated.
And yes, I know it's called a STUDIO camera for a reason but i'm really curious why it can't give that film/LOG output...

carlomacchiavello

PostMon Mar 26, 2018 5:56 pm

spitandspite wrote:Has there been any movement in this area?

The ursa mini has video & film right so is there a logistical/hardware issue that doesn't allow the MS4K kick out film/log?

Are we supposed to do a hack such as using a flat LUT via the 3DLUT input on the video assist instead?

New to BMD and have the MS4K and really think this is the only thing that irks me... any info appreciated.
And yes, I know it's called a STUDIO camera for a reason but i'm really curious why it can't give that film/LOG output...

Log is not a simple post lut, when sensor capture data capture a 16bit data converted in 12 bit raw or 10bit log picture, if your reiceve a just converted rec709 picture you can change a bit the curve but not have the same of log encoding that change many things from original datas.
I don’t know if is possible to enable a log workflow in a camera if are not thought from developing of it, if it have enough processing power, if have enough cache to manage conversion in that way and more.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Denny Smith

PostMon Mar 26, 2018 6:07 pm

The Micro Studio Video processor is designed to process and output a Rec709 image for Live Production Only. The Micro Studio is a lockdown camera for use in live video production situations. The video processor it seems is not able to also process a film log image, when the camera first came out, this was a requested feature, and if it had been possible, it would have been done by now.

That said, I love my Micro Studio, and use it when I want a “ready to use” recording that I can put up on the web, or hand off to my local community cable TV station. Yiu just have to be careful, and correctly expose the image, and then Bob’s your Uncle. ;)

BM has responded with a new 1-inch Studio 4K camers, using the same sensor as the Micro Studio, the new Ursa Broadcast csmera, with its larger form factor, and bigger video,processing capabilities, it can output Rec709, FilmLog and Raw, and record all three to its own it internal recorders. The only downside, is, it is not a MFT mount camers, but comes with B4 (makes sense for a Broadcast ENG style camera), and can also use the Ursa Mini Pro PL, Nikon F and EF mounts.

Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Jim Giberti

PostMon Mar 26, 2018 7:51 pm

Denny Smith wrote:Bob’s your Uncle.

Hey Denny,

I'm waiting to see what comes w/ NAB but one way or the other I need to add a small 4k camera to the setup for the production schedule that starts as soon as the snow melts here in the NE tundra.

I meant to ask you last time we "talked" about the MSC and your mentioning the proper exposure got me to thinking again (which I do from time to time.)
How are you exposing that camera?
I'm assuming you're nailing it with no issue of ETTR for obvious reasons.
We tend to use false color on all cameras but still ETTR with all of our BM cams (that's a whole other issue cam to cam.)

So how is the noise floor on the MSC shooting for dead proper exposure versus other BM cams you shoot/shot?

Sincerely,

Uncle Bob

spitandspite

PostMon Mar 26, 2018 8:43 pm

Denny Smith wrote:The Micro Studio Video processor is designed to process and output a Rec709 image for Live Production Only. The Micro Studio is a lockdown camera for use in live video production situations. The video processor it seems is not able to also process a film log image, when the camera first came out, this was a requested feature, and if it had been possible, it would have been done by now.

That said, I love my Micro Studio, and use it when I want a “ready to use” recording that I can put up on the web, or hand off to my local community cable TV station. Yiu just have to be careful, and correctly expose the image, and then Bob’s your Uncle. ;)

BM has responded with a new 1-inch Studio 4K camers, using the same sensor as the Micro Studio, the new Ursa Broadcast csmera, with its larger form factor, and bigger video,processing capabilities, it can output Rec709, FilmLog and Raw, and record all three to its own it internal recorders. The only downside, is, it is not a MFT mount camers, but comes with B4 (makes sense for a Broadcast ENG style camera), and can also use the Ursa Mini Pro PL, Nikon F and EF mounts.

Cheers

Right, thanks. Well, in hindsight shouldve just went cinema. hmmmm... well, I guess I get what I get. Not great place to be in but maybe it's one less thing to worry about and i'm not attempting a feature yet so I'll look on the upside and check of one more thing off my procrastination/excuse checklist i suppose and just get shooting... love love BM looks so I'm sure i'll live. Good to know, thanks for the reply.

It is curious that the new updates kicks out 12bit raw but it's just a green undithered (is that the term?) mess. Anyone know if a recorder might solve this issue in the future since it seems one of BM decks could process this?

Howard Roll

PostMon Mar 26, 2018 10:44 pm

I'm expecting that NAB unveils a VA2 that can actually record the raw output of the Micro4K. Right now it's an interesting feature that nobody has ever seen save the green mess. Kind of a head scratcher right now. Why even do it if there's little to no path for anybody to record or view it. I think there's definitely a reason for it but for now BM is remaining tight lipped, and good for them. I much prefer Pow!, here it is, to shipping in July.

Denny Smith

PostTue Mar 27, 2018 4:00 am

Sounds good Howard, we should know in a few weeks.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

spitandspite

PostTue Mar 27, 2018 12:32 pm

Howard Roll wrote:I'm expecting that NAB unveils a VA2 that can actually record the raw output of the Micro4K. Right now it's an interesting feature that nobody has ever seen save the green mess. Kind of a head scratcher right now. Why even do it if there's little to no path for anybody to record or view it. I think there's definitely a reason for it but for now BM is remaining tight lipped, and good for them. I much prefer Pow!, here it is, to shipping in July.

Oh that would be awesome! I also thought it was weird that they'd even bother mentioning/creating that 12bit RAW output if not to incorporate or let users access it... fingers crossed.

not to beat a dead horse but has anyone attempted (since the update/announcement of 12bit output) using something like the Odyssey 7Q+ RAW recorder ["“Depending on the camera, we record in the manufacturer’s native RAW format or encode into Cinema DNG, as well as process and record in Apple ProRes,..."] or the PIX-E7 or Atomos?

I know the feed isn't debayered right but do any of the previous recorders mentioned above capture and encode?

Denny Smith

PostTue Mar 27, 2018 4:57 pm

The PixE just gives the green mess. The Raw output, at this point, needs an uncompressed external recorder. But there is still the issue of processing the resulting file. Much like all the still camera Raw output for still photos needs a plug-in to decode the Raw file in a photo editing program. Current,y, no NLE plug in to process the Micro Studio Raw file.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

spitandspite

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 2:00 am

Update: Today 04.08.18
Instruction Manual for Blackmagic Micro Studio Camera 4K - RAW SDI Output
This document provides information for developers seeking to capture uncompressed bayered sensor image data from the Blackmagic Micro Studio Camera 4K, via the ‘RAW’ SDI output.

Checking out now...

Denny Smith

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 2:20 am

That is the same info as was published in the last edition of the BM Studio Camera manual.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

moredillon

PostTue Jul 31, 2018 11:05 pm

Anyone look into 'Fast CinemaDNG Processor' yet? Looks like software that can handle the RAW data and give you video exports.

Return to Cinematography