Small HD Focus and Micro Cinema

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Chris Chiasson

Small HD Focus and Micro Cinema

PostSat Apr 29, 2017 2:42 pm

After seeing the Small HD Focus, I think it'd make a better pair with the Micro Cinema camera then the Video Assist. One of the main issues I have with the Video Assist is that it's not great in sunlight, even with a sun hood. The fact the Focus was design to be seen outdoors is a huge win if it really works out. And the fact that they designed it to power a camera with a dummy canon battery with a Sony L, makes less batteries needed to be recharged, and less to bring to set to power both the monitor and the camera. There's even a mount hole underneath that can allow us to mount an expansion controller for the Micro to it. It doesn't allow any recording, but the Micro never was a good option for external recording, with the menu always at risk of getting recorded by accident.

Denny Smith

Re: Small HD Focus and Micro Cinema

PostSat Apr 29, 2017 4:05 pm

I agree Chris, if i didn't already have a 501, I would be all over the "Focus" monitor. For the money, if you do not need the recorder, you get full scopes which I would prefer to have. Makes a nice setup.

The only down side, and it may not be one either, it it is a 720 resolution monitor vice the 1080 screen on the VA and 501. Otherwise, it is a brilliant option, better than the Ikan small monitor, and as you said, the ability to power the camera is good too. You can also buy a NP batter sled that will work in the Micro, allowing you to use NP batts in both for some real long recording times.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Steve Holmlund

PostSat Apr 29, 2017 9:15 pm

Excuse my ignorance but would the Focus battery power a BMPCC if there were a battery eliminator for the EN-EL20 battery it uses?
Steve Holmlund
Hobbyist
BMPCC, vintage Rokkor lenses, Olympus 12-40 and 12-100, Panasonic 100-300 II
SmallHD Focus, i7 8700k / GTX 1080

Denny Smith

PostSat Apr 29, 2017 10:23 pm

Steve, a dummy battery is not necessary with the Pocket camera, just use a BM size barrel connector, leave the EN battery in the camera, and 7.2/7.5 VDC from a 4000+ MA Sony L battery will power both, if the monitor battery goes down, the ca,era will still run (and save settings) while you swap out the monitor battery. I used to use a 4500MA 7.2 VDC battery to power my Pocket camera through the power plug in the camera.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Leon Benzakein

PostSun Apr 30, 2017 1:47 pm

Denny

Please confirm, the BMPCC is happy with 7.2 volts power from an external source into the power plug?

I have seen it work with 9 volts but 7.2 would be very convenient.
Television: Lighting/Cameraman, O.B. Camera Operator, Experience in EFP, EPG and ENG , Grip, Lamp Operator
Film: Grip, Lamp Operator
Theater: Lighting Designer, Light board Operator, Stage Electrician, Stage Management

Ulysses Paiva

PostSun Apr 30, 2017 2:35 pm

Wouldn't an extra bright monitor require extra battery juice, thus making it one more considerable negative point?
Ulysses Paiva

Chris Chiasson

PostSun Apr 30, 2017 3:21 pm

Ulysses Paiva wrote:Wouldn't an extra bright monitor require extra battery juice, thus making it one more considerable negative point?

It's one battery charging both Monitor and Camera, but it's your choice if you want them running off separate batteries. And the Sony L's, if you get the big ones, can power both for a long time. So less batteries that need to be charged. Instead of charging 8 to 12 canon batteries, and swapping them on set all day, it's say 3 to 4 Sony Ls. Unless you want a V-Mount battery setup.

Denny Smith

PostSun Apr 30, 2017 3:41 pm

Leon Benzakein wrote:Denny
Please confirm, the BMPCC is happy with 7.2 volts power from an external source into the power plug?
I have seen it work with 9 volts but 7.2 would be very convenient.

Yes, if you leave the Pocket camera internal,battery fully charged in, then the camera will boot up,and run off the external 7.2 VDC battery. You will need to boot the monitor first, then the camera. Also you need at least a F 774 battery like this: https://www.adorama.com/ab7lb30w.html?g ... oCWqfw_wcB

The larger the MA rating the better, yiumwill get a longer run time.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Steve Holmlund

PostMon May 01, 2017 3:47 am

Denny,
Sorry, I'm slow. So I just need the appropriate power cable from the Focus to the BMPCC, assuming an appropriate battery on the Focus and the internal battery charged and in the BMPCC?
Steve
Steve Holmlund
Hobbyist

Denny Smith

PostMon May 01, 2017 5:49 am

That is the rub Steve, until the Focus is released, we do not know what the power output plug is. You will need this to a BMPCC size Micro barrel connector.
Last edited by Denny Smith on Mon May 01, 2017 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Christopher Cox

PostMon May 01, 2017 12:02 pm

This could be a good combo if the Focus handles 1080p at 50fps and 60fps.
Wielding a Pocket Cinema Camera from a wheelchair.

Denny Smith

PostMon May 01, 2017 3:06 pm

Good point, but given that all'of the recent releases from SmallHD support UHD in addition to 1080p24-60, I do not think this monitor will be any different.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Steve Holmlund

PostMon May 01, 2017 5:04 pm

Denny Smith wrote:That is the rub Steve, until the Focus is released, we do not know what the power output plug is. You will need this to a BMPCC size Micro barrel connector.

Denny,
Thanks. I queried Media Blackout, who seem to have a lot of familiarity with the Small HD product line and things like battery eliminators they supply. They got right back to me regarding the Focus and BMPCC. According to them, you need this cable:

https://mediablackout.net/products/dc-b ... 3665028550

For the following two options, select:

Input Connector: 2.1mm DC Barrel
DC Barrel Options: 90° 0.7mm (BMPCC)

The support rep specifically mentioned the Small HD Focus and the BMPCC so I presume they are familiar with both.

So for $499 + $60 for the cable, the BMPCC gets an outside-viewable monitor and better battery life, plus all of the Small HD Focus software features. I think you also need to buy the battery, of course.

Cheers!
Steve
Steve Holmlund
Hobbyist

Denny Smith

PostMon May 01, 2017 5:50 pm

Steve, the cable you referenced is a BMCC/Micro camera cable, youmwill need an adapter to use it on the Pocket camera, like the Wooden Camera Pocket power cable, which goes from the cable connector you show, to the Mini pin connection on the Pocket camera. I would wait until the monitor is released and you have it in hand to see what the power output connection is before getting a cable.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Mon May 01, 2017 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Steve Holmlund

PostMon May 01, 2017 6:03 pm

Denny Smith wrote:Steve, the cable you referenced is a BMCC/Micro camera cable, youmwill need an adapter to use it on the Pocket camera, like the Wooden Camera Pocket power cable, which goes from the cable connector yiumshow, to the Mini pin connection on the Pocket camera.
Cheers

Ok, I think the picture might not be representative after you select the two options but I'll be sure to double-check.
Thanks!
Steve
Steve Holmlund
Hobbyist

Denny Smith

PostMon May 01, 2017 11:40 pm

Good Steve, also IndiePro makes quite a few BM compatible caples for the Pocket and Micro camera.
Cheers.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Tomas Stacewicz

PostTue May 02, 2017 12:54 pm

Great news Steve, thanks! :-)
Camera
BMPCC
Zenit Meteor 5-1
LOMO OKS 3-10-1

Workstation
Windows 10 Pro
Resolve 12.5.4.019
ASUS X99-A
Intel Core i7 5820K 3.3 GHz 15MB
16GB RAM Corsair DDR4 2133MHz CL13 Vengeance
ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 Dual OC 3GB
Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD

Tomas Stacewicz

PostTue May 02, 2017 8:41 pm

I just wish that they offered a straight 0.7mm jack instead of the 90º. Many cage solutions cannot take 90º jacks as their cable clamp solution often encloses the left side of the BMPCC, such as mine.

Camera
BMPCC
Zenit Meteor 5-1
LOMO OKS 3-10-1

Workstation
Windows 10 Pro
Resolve 12.5.4.019
ASUS X99-A
Intel Core i7 5820K 3.3 GHz 15MB
16GB RAM Corsair DDR4 2133MHz CL13 Vengeance
ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 Dual OC 3GB
Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD

Steve Holmlund

PostTue May 02, 2017 8:55 pm

I'd contact them directly. The seem to do custom work or perhaps have more options. You can also check IndiePro, Denny's recommendation.
Cheers!
Steve Holmlund
Hobbyist

JK Laiho

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 1:25 pm

I had a similar question (but for the BMPCC) and queried SmallHD themselves. I just got this reply into my e-mail:

The barrel connector for the power output on the FOCUS monitors is a 3.5mmDia Barrel Jack and accepts a 1.1mmDia Center-Pin.

I was hoping it would have worked with my existing LanParte cable, but it has a 5.5mm (2.1mm inner) diameter instead.

iangwatt

PostTue Aug 15, 2017 8:36 pm

Hello all!

Just talked to support at mediablackout.net and they've updated the cable specifically for the SmallHD Focus / BMPCC.

You can find it here: mediablackout.net/products/dc-barrel-power-cable

Cheers,
Ian

Gregg Guzman

PostMon Oct 09, 2017 8:25 pm

Did anyone end up buying this monitor? I have the video assist 5 inch and it's so heavy once you add two batteries to it. I'm using it with my Micro Cinema camera, which I bought because it was so tiny. But the big monitor kind of weighs it down.

It looks like this monitor is about 1/3 of the weight, and only requires one battery.

I have questions for those of you who purchased.

1. How do you like it?

2. Are you powering your camera with it? I have a Micro - wondering if the power kit is worth the cost. Assuming I'd get the cannon battery power kit.

3. Will luts work okay with the raw format? A lot of youtube videos talk about Sony cameras and Log format. Just want to make sure I could send out raw "film" format from my Micro Cinema camera to this monitor and then load a Raw Lut onto the monitor and it all work the same as the video assist.

Denny Smith

PostTue Oct 10, 2017 6:14 pm

The monitor works well, and would be a better pairing than the VA. That said, it will not adequately power the Micro camera and monitor together. As the Micro requires a minimum voltage of 7.2VDC, you are better off putting a battery on the camera and another battery on the monitor. The Monitor battery will power it for several hours, so I would use separate batteries for both.

I have the SmallHD 501and like it better than the VA (which I also had), as it is more compact and a little lighter. The new Focus should be even a better fit, being a little smaller and lighter and adds a touch screen. I have been considering getting one also, for,this very reason. The Menus are the same for both, as are false color, wave form monitors, etc.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography