I mounted my URSA Mini Pro to my MōVI Pro {Photos}

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

AnthonySneed

I mounted my URSA Mini Pro to my MōVI Pro {Photos}

PostSun Apr 30, 2017 7:15 pm

Hey guys wanted to share some photos of how I mounted the Ursa Mini Pro to my MōVI Pro.

When I first mounted it I realized that the XLR power cable was going to be a problem due to its length hitting the roll bar when tilted up & down. I very careful used an Exacto & cut off the excess portion of rubber then Velcro'd it back over itself to make sure it will clear the roll bar. I did the same for the SDI out cable using heat shrink and applying a little less force on how hard I bent it.

I also removed the handle since it doesn't really serve the setup except that it offers MUCH easier access to the record button which is a pain in the ass to access when on a job due to the narrow space you have. Also seeing if it has been enabled is a little difficult too as you're checking the red led light down there that's partially blocked. Of course this wasn't a problem when using a BM Video Assist and I'm sure the Bluetooth app will end this discussion.

Speaking of: the Bluetooth app will help IMMENSELY since you cannot open the viewfinder door to easily access the settings on screen when mounted.

I really do appreciate the metal ISO, Shutter & White Balance controls being so easily accessible (still hard to reach like the record button but it's recessed so slightly more room)

I love that there is an SDI out near the front, it makes running a cable to my monitor so much easier.

I actually think mounting a larger sized lens up front with lens control motors up front is better for the URSA's center of balance. The further you get away from that roll bar the better.

My only real complaint about the URSA mini pro is formatting cards. It was nearly impossible to find out how to do it & I don't like how it's not in the general system settings but rather in the small portion of the window once you insert the card. I looked really unprofessional on set last week thinking "oh I'll just format when I get there". Cut to 45 min of crew standing around and 3 people reading the manual on their phones until we figured it out. (Obviously now that I know how to do it not a problem but it's not where you'd expect)

ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
anthonysneed.film

Adam Silver

Re: I mounted my URSA Mini Pro to my MōVI Pro {Photos}

PostSun Apr 30, 2017 8:21 pm

It was difficult for me to see where the XLR cable goes to from the camera XLR port. Is this the XLR cable that came with the camera? Not sure of you happen to have a video of his the power is hooked up. I'm assuming that you're powering the camera from the Movi Pro batteries.

Adam

Note Suwanchote

PostSun Apr 30, 2017 8:32 pm

Interesting.
thanks for this.

Had the std 4.6k mounted via Freefly at their launch event and this is awesome to see some of the problems being solved.
lightformfilm.com
vimeo.com/Suwanchote

AnthonySneed

PostSun Apr 30, 2017 8:46 pm

Adam Silver wrote:It was difficult for me to see where the XLR cable goes to from the camera XLR port. Is this the XLR cable that came with the camera? Not sure of you happen to have a video of his the power is hooked up. I'm assuming that you're powering the camera from the Movi Pro batteries.

Adam

This is an XLR to P-Tap that I bought separately to go right into the Movi's power out. I shortened the cable via the XLR side. I'd advise shorting on the XLR side vs P-Tap because it's just a little easier.

anthonysneed.film

Alex Fuerst

PostSun Apr 30, 2017 9:46 pm

AnthonySneed wrote:My only real complaint about the URSA mini pro is formatting cards. It was nearly impossible to find out how to do it & I don't like how it's not in the general system settings but rather in the small portion of the window once you insert the card. I looked really unprofessional on set last week thinking "oh I'll just format when I get there". Cut to 45 min of crew standing around and 3 people reading the manual on their phones until we figured it out. (Obviously now that I know how to do it not a problem but it's not where you'd expect)

Thanks for the advice on MoVI setup. Looks great and will be trying that out.

Regarding your "only real complaint". If we want to look professional then we must be professional. That means spending the time before we get to set to know our tools inside and out and thoroughly test everything. I've made this mistake once or twice and hated not being prepared and now do prep and tests for everything. I've found that success for shoots are made in preproduction and value comes from great execution of those plans. It will save you so much grief. Hope that makes sense and is helpful advice.

Adam Silver

PostSun Apr 30, 2017 10:04 pm

AnthonySneed wrote:
Adam Silver wrote:It was difficult for me to see where the XLR cable goes to from the camera XLR port. Is this the XLR cable that came with the camera? Not sure of you happen to have a video of his the power is hooked up. I'm assuming that you're powering the camera from the Movi Pro batteries.

Adam

This is an XLR to P-Tap that I bought separately to go right into the Movi's power out. I shortened the cable via the XLR side. I'd advise shorting on the XLR side vs P-Tap because it's just a little easier.

Thanks for the clarification, Anthony.

Adam

Adam Silver

PostMon Jun 05, 2017 4:46 pm

Hi Anthony,

You should try to use a right angle XLR to D-Tap cable. Then you won't have to cut it open. Joe Grasso, on BMCuser, told me that's how he did it.

Adam

bradyhall

PostThu Aug 23, 2018 5:59 pm

Resurrecting this thread to ask about the power cabling for this. I just picked up a Movi Pro (20% off sale compelled me) and am looking at powering solutions. Does anybody know the pin map for the 4-pin XLR power port on the Ursa Mini Pro? Basically, I just want to know if I need to worry about frying anything if I get any random old 4-pin to D-tap cable or if they will all work. Thanks!

Denny Smith

PostThu Aug 23, 2018 6:38 pm

You need a 12/14VDC cable, pinout is 1-ground, 4-hot. Most DTap to 4-pin xlr cables are made to this standard. Wooden Camera can make,up,a cosutom cable, at any length you need, avg cost $50-70.

Older 6-volt 4-pin xlr cables will not work, as they use pins 2&3, but these show up mostly as 4-pin to 4-pin or 4-pin to 2-pin Lemo cables.

I would avoid cheap unknown origin cables, not worth the added hassle of wrong pins, wrong size wire, bad connections, poor quality conectors, etc.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

bradyhall

PostThu Aug 23, 2018 11:11 pm

Wooden is gonna be $110 all in, which is a little ridonkulous for a power cable. Anton Bauer makes one for $50 and that's a reputable brand so I'll probably just do that.

I have pin maps from BM and Freefly so I can double check the wiring before plugging in.

Thanks!

Return to Cinematography