URSA Mini PRO B4 mount LENS compatability

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Andy Dean

URSA Mini PRO B4 mount LENS compatability

PostMon May 01, 2017 4:49 pm

The Ursa Mini 4.6k PL and the Mini Pro ( I have both) are great versatile cameras that can be used for mulitcam switched events for live coverage or IMAG with 2/3 B4 mount Lenses. However, none of my larger Box Lenses work. I own 3.
Has anyone else had issues with their b4 mount lens not working or powering up from the camera?
On a box lens, this is essential as there is NO other way to control the IRIS - even if the lens is powered from some home made adapter to give the lens power. My handheld ENG lenses do work.
BM stated that there was a compatabilty issue - however my 8 year old Panasonic HPX500 will power up and control ANY B4 mount lens. Seems odd that these new cameras would power some lenses and not others.
Andy Dean

Denny Smith

Re: URSA Mini PRO B4 mount LENS compatability

PostMon May 01, 2017 11:35 pm

Box lenses are a unique breed, they were designed for TV production cameras, not ENG cameras. Are these older analog or newer digital lenses? BM UM is setbto work (control Iris) with newer digital HD B4 lenses, Iris and Focus servos are required on the lens, too, from what I understand.
Cherrs
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Adam Copland

PostTue May 02, 2017 1:34 am

Nope - in fact we've got our UM4.6kPL on a job with a box lens right now. It's a Fujinon A55x9.5.

Denny Smith

PostWed May 03, 2017 1:56 am

I didn't say they would not work, it seems to depend on the lens and how it is setup with the camera, from what I have seen. Yes box lenses were also used to cover sporting events, using ENG type cameras. Glad it is working for you.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography