Micro Studio Camera Supported Lenses

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Marco Rios

Micro Studio Camera Supported Lenses

PostWed May 03, 2017 9:42 pm

Is there a list of Supported Lenses that can be controlled remotely with camera’s SDI input?
I the product webpage of the
Blackmagic Micro Studio Camera 4K
is indicated the following:
[color=#4000BF]...camera’s SDI input and remotely control any setting in the camera, color correct or even change focus, iris and zoom on supported lenses. [/color]

Denny Smith

Re: Micro Studio Camera Supported Lenses

PostThu May 04, 2017 10:56 pm

The only lens list I know of was for the Panasonic and Olympus EZ/PZ power zoom lenses. Most native MFT auto lenses from Panasonic and Olympus can have their Iris and focus controlled via ATEM CCU. Only the two Panasonic PZ and two Olympus EZ zoom lenses have power zoom, which can be controlled remotely. That said the focus control on the non Pro series MfT lenses is not as smooth or easy to remotely set, depending on the lens. The Panny Leica series and the Pro f/2.8 zooms Focus nicely, as do thrmOlymlus Pro series MFT lenses.

Some original Four Thirds lenses work, some do not (with the Panny or Oly FT/MFT adapter). The excellent Olympus 14-35 f/2.0 works nicely both Iris and Focus, with Focus set to auto (not zoom), but the Panny/Leica 14-50 only has Iris control and not focus for example. All of the new Panasonic Leica MFT zooms work well and the new 12-60 and 8-16mm zooms have smooth Iris control as well. All the other MFT lenses, will show a slight or not so slight jump between f/stops during an Iris change, depending on the lens. The two new PL zooms do not have a "jump" in exposure change, but work like a Cine lens, with a smooth change between f/stops, like a de-clicked still lens, or a Cine/ENG zoom has.

The Micro Studio with the BM B4 interface adapter (formthe 12-pin lens cable connection to DB15 port) allows for remote Iris and zoom changes (focus on the HD B4 lenses with a focus servo) on B4 Servo ENF HD zoom lenses. You will need, however, an optically corrected B4 to MFT mount adapter (MTF Servicess and AbelCine are the two choices here, BM does not make one at this time).

Hope this helps.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

devlinmedia

PostSun Sep 23, 2018 6:25 pm

I have the Micro Studio with the BM B4 interface adapter, a HD b4 canon lens with a canon fpm-500 focus servo module. Is it possible to adjust remotely?

Denny Smith

PostMon Sep 24, 2018 4:55 pm

If the focus Servo is connected/interfaced with the camera Hirose connector, using ENG camera control protocol, do not see why it wouldn’t work with the ATEM CCU. BM somewhere listed the HD B4 lenses that have focus servos that are compatible. Check the Ursa Broadcast manual or the BM support site.

Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Xtreemtec

PostTue Sep 25, 2018 12:15 pm

Check indeed for the supported lenses.. Because not all digital controlled B4 lenses are supported.. And analog controlled are not supported at all on the Micro Studio.. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Denny Smith

PostTue Sep 25, 2018 5:30 pm

Here is the BM list of B4 lenses for the Studio and Micro Studio Camera:
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/faq/59011
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

devlinmedia

PostMon Oct 01, 2018 3:28 pm

Using an Arduino Uno, Blackmagic design shield and a Skaarhoj DIY Shield (Joystick Board) connected to a Micro Studio Camera 4K.

Confirmed working B4 Lenses with Iris Control:

Canon HJ17ex7.6B IASE A. (Smooth as Silk)

Canon HJ18 x 7.8B -II IAS-C (Iris adjustment Stutters, Smooth when Canon FPM-500 focus box is attached)

Canon J16a x 8B4 IRSD SX12 (Iris Stutters)

Does anyone know how to adjust focus remotely using the Blackmagic Micro Studio Camera 4K.

I hope to purchase a smooth Pan & Tilt head?

I hope to eliminate the cameraman.

Denny Smith

PostMon Oct 01, 2018 4:21 pm

Remote focus is only available if the lens has a focus Servo and supports remote focus through the Hirose connector. The only lenses supported in the Micro Studio for remote focus, are the newer digital B4 HD or 4K lenses. The older analog lenses useually do not have a focus Servo, or do not akways work.

The lens model number (letters and numbers on the Servo handle label, starting with HJ17e... etc will have a code at the end showing focus type. Another way to tell, is look at the Servo handle unit from the underside, you will see a switch for Zoom M/S (manual or Servo) then if a focus Servo is present, a second switch will be next to the zoom switch to set the focus to M/S. If you only have one control for zoom, then it is manual focus only. ;)
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

pixelstuff

PostMon Apr 06, 2020 5:44 pm

Obviously Blackmagic Design needs to partner with a lens manufacturer to get some decent studio lenses made that aren't $50,000.

I mean if Canon can put a fully motorized 20x 28.8-576 mm (35mm equivalent) lens, on their $1,500 camcorder, surely someone can make a decent fully motorized MFT lens without the camera attached for $1,500 or less.

IsseSwe

PostThu Sep 24, 2020 9:16 am

I talked to Fujinon in Japan and this is what I got to know:

[Cables]
All B4 lenses have pigtail cable with a 12pin connector that comes from the drive unit and is able to connect to camera, no need to have adapter cable.
With PL mount lenses, it needs cable between camera (12pin) and the lens (20 pin).
[Function]
According to Blackmagic, their system can control zoom, iris and focus. Please see the chart below.
Zoom and Iris control: All digital series lens (-S58, M58, -S1, -M1, -S6, -M6, -T58, T5, -T9 and Cabrio series)
Focus control: All full servo digital series (-S58, -S1, -S6, -T58, T5, -T9 and Cabrio series)

So accordingly to Fujinon, these lenses should work if blackmagic är consistent with the ccu for digital eng/b4 lenses Said Fujinon.
1 x ATEM Constallation 2ME | 2 x Hyperdeck Mini HD | 1 x Multidock 10G | 1 x Video Hub 40 | 1 x Multiview 16 | 1 x Web Presenter HD | 3 x Ursa Broadcast

Denny Smith

PostMon Sep 28, 2020 7:06 pm

You will need BMD’s 12-pin cable to connect the lens to the Micro Studio camera. Also you are going to need a B4 3-CCD corrected to MFT lens mount, from MTF Services or Abel Cine, both are around $1500-2K.
A non corrected adapter is going to be soft with lens wide open due to CA cause by the B4 lens design for 3-CCD cameras. Also you will get vignetting/porthole image on a wide angle settings unless you use the 2X teleconverter mode, which reduces your exposure by 1.5 stops. So a non corrected adapter is only really practical when used outdoors with 2X mode at f/8-11 settings.

If you want to use B4 zooms, you might be better off using the Ursa Broadcast camera, which comes with a corrected (1.5x) B4 lens mount allowing you to use the B4 zoom at f/1.4-5.6, and wide angle lens settings. Also it has the 12-pin connector built in to the camera body.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

IsseSwe

PostSun Oct 04, 2020 9:39 pm

Denny Smith wrote:You will need BMD’s 12-pin cable to connect the lens to the Micro Studio camera. Also you are going to need a B4 3-CCD corrected to MFT lens mount, from MTF Services or Abel Cine, both are around $1500-2K.
A non corrected adapter is going to be soft with lens wide open due to CA cause by the B4 lens design for 3-CCD cameras. Also you will get vignetting/porthole image on a wide angle settings unless you use the 2X teleconverter mode, which reduces your exposure by 1.5 stops. So a non corrected adapter is only really practical when used outdoors with 2X mode at f/8-11 settings.

If you want to use B4 zooms, you might be better off using the Ursa Broadcast camera, which comes with a corrected (1.5x) B4 lens mount allowing you to use the B4 zoom at f/1.4-5.6, and wide angle lens settings. Also it has the 12-pin connector built in to the camera body.
Cheers

Danny I have the ablecine hdx1.4 and it is really something speciel, also with the hdx1.4 it multiplies x1.4 so 2x extender is not needed at all on any of my lenses. all those parts are worked out for me now, the last peice of the puzzle was the grip servos, which are fully controllable and now I know that as well, thats why I shared my data.

Also the broadcast doesn fit my rushworks ptx units but the micro does :-)
1 x ATEM Constallation 2ME | 2 x Hyperdeck Mini HD | 1 x Multidock 10G | 1 x Video Hub 40 | 1 x Multiview 16 | 1 x Web Presenter HD | 3 x Ursa Broadcast

Denny Smith

PostMon Oct 05, 2020 2:50 am

Good, glad you got it sorted out. Yes and AbelCine adapter is grand.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Niklas Olofsson

PostTue Oct 06, 2020 5:09 pm

.. I would like to see that setup ;)

pmehatch

PostThu Oct 22, 2020 3:47 pm

IsseSwe wrote:Also the broadcast doesn fit my rushworks ptx units but the micro does :-)

Hi Istvan.
Where did you get your PTX from please?
Do you think a StudioCamera HD will fit on it? I'm worried about the weight with a decent lens as well.
thanks
Philip

Uli Plank

PostFri Oct 23, 2020 4:05 am

I’d get a lens support and hang the camera on the lens instead.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to Cinematography