Nikon F Mount for URSA Mini Pro

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

chris.white

Re: Nikon F Mount for URSA Mini Pro

PostWed Oct 25, 2017 2:31 pm

Drew Schlichtmann wrote:I uploaded a super quick clip of the view on the screen when I wiggle the lens. The camera is not moving at all. Granted it's an 85mm lens, but still. How does that compare to yours?

That appears similar to what I'm seeing with the 70-200 on there... yours may be a bit worse. I had never tried this particular lens with the MB speedbooster when I had my BMCC... so, unfortunately, I have no basis for comparison there.
---
c

Jamie LeJeune

PostThu Oct 26, 2017 4:42 pm

Drew Schlichtmann wrote:
chris.white wrote:Just tried a few more lenses... including my Nikkor 70-200/2.8. This lens, being rather long and heavy, shows quite a bit more play than the smaller lenses. I'm not too surprised, given the size/weight and I'd probably use a lens support anyway. However, this same lens on my Nikon 7200 has virtually no play at all.
---
c

I've emailed BM support, they are looking into it. I've got some pretty heavy lenses, but they are way more stable on my Metabones and BMMCC than the Ursa. Mine's looser than an unbraced cheap Fotodiox adapter. Not what I'd expect from an official BM mount. Or, at least not what I'd want to expect, but issues seem to keep popping up. I uploaded a super quick clip of the view on the screen when I wiggle the lens. The camera is not moving at all. Granted it's an 85mm lens, but still. How does that compare to yours?

https://vimeo.com/239688783/c5b7eb8ee0

Thank you for the info Dave. Let us know what you hear back from support and whether they are able to fix it. The amount of motion you're getting in the mount is shocking to see.
www.incafilms.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

Denny Smith

PostThu Oct 26, 2017 6:10 pm

That is more than some slight rotational play. This much movement makes the new mount worthless for any video work! This looks like the same issue BM had with the MFT mount on the first Pocket cameras, only worse. :roll:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

chris.white

PostSat Nov 18, 2017 7:07 pm

Drew Schlichtmann wrote:I've emailed BM support, they are looking into it. I've got some pretty heavy lenses, but they are way more stable on my Metabones and BMMCC than the Ursa. Mine's looser than an unbraced cheap Fotodiox adapter. Not what I'd expect from an official BM mount. Or, at least not what I'd want to expect, but issues seem to keep popping up. I uploaded a super quick clip of the view on the screen when I wiggle the lens. The camera is not moving at all. Granted it's an 85mm lens, but still. How does that compare to yours?

https://vimeo.com/239688783/c5b7eb8ee0

Hey Drew,

Just wondering if you've had any more conversation with BMD on this issue?
---
Chris

Drew Schlichtmann

PostSat Nov 18, 2017 9:00 pm

chris.white wrote:
Hey Drew,

---
Chris

Hey, yeah, I've just sent the mount to BM for them to take a look. Should get to them on Monday. Supposedly their Australian headquarters is working on aquiring a Milvus lens to test as well, though it's been weeks and there's been no indication that that's happened. Have you contacted them at all about yours?

chris.white

PostTue Nov 21, 2017 2:57 am

Drew Schlichtmann wrote:
chris.white wrote:
Hey Drew,

---
Chris

Hey, yeah, I've just sent the mount to BM for them to take a look. Should get to them on Monday. Supposedly their Australian headquarters is working on aquiring a Milvus lens to test as well, though it's been weeks and there's been no indication that that's happened. Have you contacted them at all about yours?

I have not, yet. Curious to see what the response is to yours.
---
c

Drew Schlichtmann

PostThu Nov 30, 2017 3:58 am

Update for anyone following:

Received my RMA'ed F mount back from BM today. Apparently there was a "clear abnormality" with my specific F mount. The new one is much better. I'm not convinced it's as solid as my Metabones, but it's pretty close, and definitely acceptable for a Nikon mount and the large lenses. Did some footage testing with it, and things are looking much better, infinity focus is better, and the overall picture quality has improved over our crappy third party F mount adapter (no way the lens distance to the censor was accurate or consistent).

Unfortunately we had hoped (unlikely, I know) that it might fix the magenta corner issue as well. It did not...So there's still that to contend with.

chris.white

PostThu Nov 30, 2017 4:35 am

Hmmm... thanks for the update, Drew. Seems I should probably look into this further.
---
Chris

Denny Smith

PostThu Nov 30, 2017 5:51 am

Good to know is was a one off build error. You can get th BM shim kit and reset the Nikon mount to correct FFD if needed.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Dec 01, 2017 7:13 am

You get a shim kit with each mount.

Theofanis Kavvadas

PostFri Dec 01, 2017 10:03 am

Just finished testing with my Nikon F -mount for UMP.

There is a lot of play with my unit. Small twist of the lens (pulling focus) effects the aperture so exposure changes. It feels like the best result comes with G-type Nikkors that have the O-ring installed. This in comparison to older AI-s or third party lenses makes a small difference but there's still considerable play. Worst play comes with Tokina 11-20mm, 85/1.4 AI-s, 135/2 AI-s and the least play with 50/1.8G (smallest and lightest too).

So maybe the designers took for granted that most users have G-type Nikkors?

Focus distances seem to be fine, so I guess the shims have been inserted correctly.
i7-3770K, 16GB, Geforce 560Ti
Bmpcc + Speedbooster + Nikkor lenses
Previous

Return to Cinematography