video assist: trigger record on camera

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

GregGreenhaw

video assist: trigger record on camera

PostThu May 11, 2017 1:58 pm

Currently you can trigger recording on the video assist if you hit record on the camera but you cant use the video assist to start recording on the camera. Please allow the video assist to mirror the cameras timecode, trigger record on the camera even without sd cards in the video assist.

On a side note please allow luts to be loaded on the assist from the SD cards. Its too hard to remove the monitor from the camera on set and attach it to a laptop.

Denny Smith

Re: video assist: trigger record on camera

PostThu May 11, 2017 4:02 pm

Greg, the later (LUTs loaded from SD card might be doable, but the HDMI connection on the VA is a video input/output on,y, no camera co tool functions, even on BM's Micro Cameras, which many users previously asked for similar capabilities, controlling camera menus, etc.

The Record trigger function on the VA, the VA receives a "record trigger" command from the camera (Record Trigger mode) or reads the Time Code (T/C Teigger mode) being sent from the camera, both of which start the VA to record the incoming video signal. While HDMI can be used for some control functions on a DSLR, this useually is set to allow a TV monitor to start/stop in camera playback when the camera is connected to a TV monitor. SOme newer DSLRs have BlueTooth or WiFi remote support using IOS (Apple) or Droid applications, but this is not done via HDMI.

If you want to start/stop the record on your camera remotely, and record to the VA also, just use the camera remote IR controller, or a cabled remote start/stop controller (electronic version of a cable release). These can be attached to the top of the VA (1/4x20 screw mount or Velcro). Then with "Record Trigger" enabled on the VA, then starting record on the camera remote wil, start both the VA and camera recording.
DS
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

GregGreenhaw

PostThu May 11, 2017 4:42 pm

Denny Smith wrote:Greg, the later (LUTs loaded from SD card might be doable, but the HDMI connection on the VA is a video input/output on,y, no camera co tool functions, even on BM's Micro Cameras, which many users previously asked for similar capabilities, controlling camera menus, etc.

The Record trigger function on the VA, the VA receives a "record trigger" command from the camera (Record Trigger mode) or reads the Time Code (T/C Teigger mode) being sent from the camera, both of which start the VA to record the incoming video signal. While HDMI can be used for some control functions on a DSLR, this useually is set to allow a TV monitor to start/stop in camera playback when the camera is connected to a TV monitor. SOme newer DSLRs have BlueTooth or WiFi remote support using IOS (Apple) or Droid applications, but this is not done via HDMI.

If you want to start/stop the record on your camera remotely, and record to the VA also, just use the camera remote IR controller, or a cabled remote start/stop controller (electronic version of a cable release). These can be attached to the top of the VA (1/4x20 screw mount or Velcro). Then with "Record Trigger" enabled on the VA, then starting record on the camera remote wil, start both the VA and camera recording.
DS

I should have mentioned I mean't with a blackmagic camera via SDI not sure if this changes anything?

Denny Smith

PostFri May 12, 2017 2:14 am

Sorry no, only the Micro Studio camera and other Studio cameras that have an SDI input can be controlled via the ATEM CCU or an Arduino Shield setup. The VA lacks the CCU capabilities of these two devices. You need to be able to "transmit" the control data to the camera (via SDI with BM Studio cameras, and the current VA can not do this, but who knows what BM will do next. :roll:
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Neil-G

PostFri Aug 28, 2020 4:47 pm

I don't understand Denny when you said:-
Where do you connect up the VA?

I think it is ridiculous that a BMPCC cannot trigger recording on a VA through HDMI, as they are both made by Blackmagic.

Mark Foster

PostFri Aug 28, 2020 7:06 pm

Neil-G wrote:.....

I think it is ridiculous that a BMPCC cannot trigger recording on a VA through HDMI, as they are both made by Blackmagic.

funny, because my BMPCC 4k triggers my atomos sumo over HDMI
cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

Howard Roll

PostSat Aug 29, 2020 2:21 am

Neil-G wrote:I think it is ridiculous that a BMPCC cannot trigger recording on a VA through HDMI, as they are both made by Blackmagic.

You've read it wrong, the camera can trigger recording on the VA, it's the reverse that is not possible. The VA cannot currently push any data to the camera, unlike the Atem Minis which can.

Good Luck

Neil-G

PostSat Aug 29, 2020 12:16 pm

I am talking about the original BMPCC not 4K.
What settings do I need to use, I have tried setting the VA to SDI/HDMI which didn't work, and TC Run also was a no go? I couldn't find any settings on the camera.
My Sony NX5 will trigger the VA with it set on TC Run, and Rec Run set on camera. This is with the SDI output from camera.

Neil-G

PostMon Aug 31, 2020 4:37 pm

Does anyone know of any camera that can trigger record a VA over HDMI?

markr041

PostMon Aug 31, 2020 11:30 pm

Neil-G wrote:Does anyone know of any camera that can trigger record a VA over HDMI?

Yes, the Sigma fp, with the latest Sigma fp and VA Assist 12G firmwares.
Mark Rosenzweig

Denny Smith

PostMon Aug 31, 2020 11:54 pm

Neil, The original BMPCC did not have the ability to trigger record on the VA, as it was released before the VA was, and it did not output TC via its HDMI, nor did it generate a Record Trigger signal, both of which are needed to start record on the VA.

As to which BMD cameras can do this, I believe the Micro Cinema camera can, both the new Pocket cameras (4/6K) can, the Ursa Mini cameras can, and the Ursa Broadcast camera can.

Also, the Panasonic GH4 and 5 also have HDMI Record trigger functions. The Nikon Z cameras have a HDMI record trigger option, not sure they work with the VA, as I no longer have one to test with.
Cheers.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Neil-G

PostTue Sep 01, 2020 12:18 pm

Thank you very Mark and Denny, I hadn't thought about the original BMPCC, which I have, being produced before the VA. It all makes sense now.
I guess I will have to keep remembering to press the record button!

Chris Leutger

PostTue Sep 01, 2020 10:15 pm

I was using the VA 12G with the OG BMPCC and recording on the VA and was wishing the VA had a lanc port like the BMPCC does...so I could use my trigger dealie...
Amateur Auteur

AMD 7800X3d 8c 5 GHz - GSkill DDR5-6000 (EXPO) 32x2
Nvidia 1080 Ti 8GB - WD SN850x 2 TB
Resolve 18.5 - Ubuntu 22.04

Return to Cinematography