Need informations about URSA power

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

MichaelLeclere

Need informations about URSA power

PostFri May 12, 2017 1:01 pm

Hello, I m new in this forum and a blackmagic d*since the first BMCC.
Sorry for my english, I m french and we suck in other languages.

I on the way to buy a major URSA (v2) and looking for some power possibilities.

I bought two proaim brick by the past for my BMCC (stolen few days ago...)

(I saw I can't put url here)

I was pretty satisfied with it. This is 4 pin xlr on a 12v block. Do you think there is possibility to use them safely on the URSA if I buy a cable with 4pin xlr on each side (I ve seen the power supply is a 4 pin cable) or do I have to buy v mount as only way to power it?

Regards,

Michael Leclere

Ben McAllister

Re: Need informations about URSA power

PostFri May 12, 2017 6:32 pm

I plan on using a custom power source on my UM4.6K so am curious about this too.
As far as I understand you will need a regulated 12V supply through the 4 pin XLR cable and that should be fine. Obviously keeping the polarity correct through the pins is a must.
I have sourced some 18A/h sealed batteries and am working on connecting them through the XLR DC input. I'll be in the middle of Botswana with no access to electricity save for a portable generator so am looking into alternatives to lugging a whole case of v-mount batteries around. Keeping in mind the 100W/h limitation on commercial flights.

Please don't treat my advice as wisdom, I am just stating my plans and would like to learn more from this thread (among other sources). I haven't tried my plan out yet so I have no proof of concept as of this writing.

rick.lang

PostFri May 12, 2017 6:40 pm

47Wh is likely not going to last an hour shooting on the URSA 4K v2. So with a battery that takes over 4hours to charge, it may not be feasible. The other concern is the age of your existing batteries. With a 1000x charge rating, they may be near EOL and may not produce the minimum 12Vdc you need. And lastly, with a 4 amp maximum flow, you may run into difficulty powering the URSA. The batteries normally used on the URSA are likely a minimum of 6 amp or more. For example my Cinegears 270Wh battery can supply more than a 16 amp flow. The batteries you have are more suited to the BMCC/ BMPCC as advertised.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Robert Niessner

PostFri May 12, 2017 9:38 pm

Rick is right. It probably won't work with these batteries at all.
Watt = Voltage * Amperage
So when your ProAim brick can only deliver 12 V and URSA draws max 80 W ... 80 / 12 = 6.67 A
And your brick shuts down after more than 4 A.
URSA Mini draws 50 W maximum by the way, at 12 V that would be 4.17 A

Also take into consideration that as the battery empties the Voltage goes down which means the Amperage goes up.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Ben Mart

PostSun Jun 11, 2017 9:17 am

MichaelLeclere wrote:Hello, I m new in this forum and a blackmagic d*since the first BMCC.
Sorry for my english, I m french and we suck in other languages.

I on the way to buy a major URSA (v2) and looking for some power possibilities.

I bought two proaim brick by the past for my BMCC (stolen few days ago...)

(I saw I can't put url here)

I was pretty satisfied with it. This is 4 pin xlr on a 12v block. Do you think there is possibility to use them safely on the URSA if I buy a cable with 4pin xlr on each side (I ve seen the power supply is a 4 pin cable) or do I have to buy v mount as only way to power it?

Regards,

Michael Leclere

Hi Michael,

Sorry to hear about the theft.

The ursa major is a beast and best to keep it simple. It's a fantastic camera and joy to work with. When Ive got to walk any long distance I use a fold up cart(vonhaus) to transport it. Easy.

Haven't used those batteries before but
I would recommend to go for the v mount and batteries system, as it would save a load of hassle and can use the v mount batteries to power other products (lighting etc as well as other cameras)

The idx cue-d150 battery, with big screen used, I get between 1.15h-1.30h out of them.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Mattias Kristiansson

PostSun Jun 11, 2017 7:34 pm

I've made cables with car battery clamps on one end and 4 pin XLR on the other. I use them to power big URSA and UM46K from car batteries when I have the cameras on a tripod. No problem on either camera, and a car battery keeps a camera running for many, many hours. Such cables cost almost nothing to make, I think almost everyone with an URSA should have one, when all other batteries are empty you can just pop your car hood open, connect the camera and get that last shot...

JasonFinnigan

PostMon Jun 12, 2017 1:43 am

Mattias Kristiansson wrote:I've made cables with car battery clamps on one end and 4 pin XLR on the other. I use them to power big URSA and UM46K from car batteries when I have the cameras on a tripod. No problem on either camera, and a car battery keeps a camera running for many, many hours. Such cables cost almost nothing to make, I think almost everyone with an URSA should have one, when all other batteries are empty you can just pop your car hood open, connect the camera and get that last shot...

That's a horrible idea. the 4 pin XLR power is designed for regulated 12 power supplies. Car Batteries are anything but regulated.

Ben Mart

PostMon Jun 19, 2017 10:31 pm

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232367157409

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Denny Smith

PostTue Jun 20, 2017 1:21 am

No, not the best idea, using auto batteries batteries without a fuse protection! But, the 4-pin XLR is a 12-16VDC input to the camera's DC/DC power Converter/supply, and regulates the input voltage to whatbthe camera uses/needs. You can use it (4-pin XLR input) to connect external camera 12-VDC batteries which are 14.5-16VDC when fully charged, as are the V-mount camera batteries.
DS
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography