Using Canon CNE 18-80 with UMPro

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Chris Clifton

Using Canon CNE 18-80 with UMPro

PostSat May 13, 2017 1:41 am

Just hooked up the Canon 18-80 T4 and I wonder if anyone else has it and has been able to get the camera to be triggered by the lens. When I do a lens update, it recognizes it, but there is no communication between the lenses record button or the lens aperture with the wheel--this is all fully functional with the Canon c300mk2, plus One-Shot AF. Anyone?

Nick Gombinsky

Re: Using Canon CNE 18-80 with UMPro

PostSat May 13, 2017 5:23 am

My guess is, the EF mount doesn't really have REC or electronic aperture commands, but Canon has added them on the latest cameras. BM and probably other camera manufacturers who have reverse engineered the EF mount didn't bother to add this late addition.

rick.lang

Re: Using Canon CNE 18-80 with UMPro

PostSat May 13, 2017 3:48 pm

In spite of the international success of Canon lenses that anyone can buy and mount on any manufacturer's camera, the company is still following the business model of a closed loop with Canon lenses designed Canon cameras and you stray from that at your own risk. At least third-party cameras can do their best to support the EOS EF/EF-S lenses without legal action. When PL mount lenses were all manual, it was easy to put a PL lens on a camera with PL mount. Now we are getting multiple and alternate flavours of electronics for metadata on PL lenses, consistency is no longer a given. How long until PL lenses rely on electronics to control the lens? KISS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography