Easyrig with Ursa Mini 4.6k

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Trent Garlipp

Easyrig with Ursa Mini 4.6k

PostMon May 22, 2017 10:26 pm

Hi all,

I'm doing a shoot in a little over a week and I'm looking to rent an easyrig for the blackmagic ursa mini 4.6k. I was wondering if any of you guys had experience with that and what easyrig would be the proper one to rent for a camera of this weight and size.

We will be using a set of zeiss CP2s with a matte box if that matters for weight.

I'm in the NYC area so I think I might rent one from Adorama, but if anyone has better suggestions I'd be happy to hear them.

Thanks!

Trent Garlipp

Re: Easyrig with Ursa Mini 4.6k

PostMon May 22, 2017 10:40 pm

Also I'm wondering if it's practical to use the easyrig with the blackmagic viewfinder? Or when using an easyrig do most people look at an lcd screen? I've never used one before so i don't really know the best shooting situations with it.

Trent Garlipp

PostTue May 23, 2017 10:37 pm

Anybody?

ChrisWarren

PostWed May 24, 2017 5:04 am

Hello Trent,

I use an easy rig with my ursa mini quite frequently. I do not own, I rent off of Sharegrid. The model I usually rent is an EasyRig Cinema 3 600N. I've flown CP2s, Canon Cinema Primes, Xeens, and Canon L Series with it, as well as AB batteries and an Oconnor Obox. It definitely handles the weight well.

As for EVF vs monitor, it truly depends on how you operate. For me, I like to shoulder the cam and use the EVF. In some cases, I like to be low, in which the flip out screen is handy.

I hope this helps! Happy shooting!

~Chris

Nick Gombinsky

PostWed May 24, 2017 2:29 pm

Yeah it definitely varies according to your shooting style or what the shot demands. Basically you can shoot either way.

John Brawley

PostWed May 24, 2017 4:51 pm

I like easy rigs for endurance, and a little better for really long lens shots. (More than 100mm)

They don't make shots smoother if you move in shot. They make them worse.

Here's a pic of my A camera operator with an easy rig and serene.

I personally usually prefer an EVF. Sometimes the screen is better depending on the shot.

https://flic.kr/p/NHNoX9

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Robert DelTour

PostTue May 30, 2017 6:45 pm

John Brawley wrote:I like easy rigs for endurance, and a little better for really long lens shots. (More than 100mm)

They don't make shots smoother if you move in shot. They make them worse.

Here's a pic of my A camera operator with an easy rig and serene.

I personally usually prefer an EVF. Sometimes the screen is better depending on the shot.

https://flic.kr/p/NHNoX9

JB

Hey John, I noticed you are using the Wooden Camera Mod kit for your EVF. I talked to a few of BMD's Engineers this year at NAB about how much more useful the EVF would be if it had the option to come like the modified unit. Have you heard any rumblings about that coming true? I like to be able to move my EVF around, but I would hate to void the warranty on the unit.

John Brawley

PostWed May 31, 2017 2:02 am

Robert DelTour wrote:
Hey John, I noticed you are using the Wooden Camera Mod kit for your EVF. I talked to a few of BMD's Engineers this year at NAB about how much more useful the EVF would be if it had the option to come like the modified unit. Have you heard any rumblings about that coming true? I like to be able to move my EVF around, but I would hate to void the warranty on the unit.

I love the mod kit. I've done it to three EVF's now. It makes them much more useable and functional like a normal EVF.

I don't know of their being any plans in the near future BMD to do anything differently or of new models.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

FrankApollonio

PostWed May 31, 2017 4:29 pm

i just shot a doc for two weeks with ursa mini 4.6k very slim package... but the easy rig mini max worked great. and is a cheaper alternative...

Return to Cinematography