URSA Mini Pro 4.6k Oddities

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Jacob Abramson

URSA Mini Pro 4.6k Oddities

PostTue May 23, 2017 9:35 pm

Curious to know if anyone else experienced this. Not sure if it's a hardware issue, or just the result of being an early adopter to a new model with a few lingering bugs. Firmware is latest (came from factory).

I've been having some oddities using the camera, mainly when making some menu changes the camera will freeze and needs a power cycle. Additionally, sometimes when turning on the camera the input audio channels (internal) will blast static on the levels and through the headphones for about 15 seconds then fade out. Also on occasion the audio level meters are frozen (but audio is still passing). Finally, my flip out screen will turn a strange color for a few seconds.

I will say that none of this has happened during recording as of yet (although I haven't done much recording).

Just curious if others are seeing these same oddities or if it's something with my hardware.
Equipment In Use:
ATEM 2 M/E Production Studio 4K
ATEM Production Studio 4K
ATEM 1 M/E Broadcast Panel
HyperDeck Studio Pro 4k
HyperDeck Studio
Teranex 2d
Teranex Express
MultiView 16
DeckLink Quad
Pocket Cinema Camera
Video Assist 4k

rick.lang

Re: URSA Mini Pro 4.6k Oddities

PostTue May 23, 2017 11:09 pm

Update your firmware and play with the camera a bit until it seems to have settled down. If it never behaves, you have my sympathy and call BMD Support.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Uli Plank

PostWed May 24, 2017 2:31 am

Any digital device coming in fresh in the box doesn't necessarily mean the FW is up to date. More often it's not. The internet is faster than physical storage and transport…
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Dennis Sørensen

PostFri May 26, 2017 9:51 am

The camera will restart when you change between raw and ProRes. That is normal behavior and every BMD has done that from the beginning.

Jacob Abramson

PostFri May 26, 2017 3:08 pm

Lots of issues during my first shoot with the camera. Spoke with BMD and they are replacing.
Equipment In Use:
HyperDeck Studio Pro 4k
HyperDeck Studio
Teranex 2d
Teranex Express
MultiView 16
DeckLink Quad
Pocket Cinema Camera
Video Assist 4k

Benjamin Scott

PostSun Jun 04, 2017 4:01 pm

I have similar problems with my camera.

A few times after what seems like changing resolution / settings, the camera freezes. Timecode doesn't update, can't stop recording, and what was recording shows as corrupt on my computer. I can see what I'm pointing at. Usually a restart fixes it, but it happened 6 or 7 times, if not more, in one afternoon. Some green noise appeared a few times on the display during those crashes. I now have a bigger problem that made me come here: it doesn't want to power on again... not good. At all.

I'm using the V-Lock plate for power and haven't gotten around to trying via the mains (away from home and do not have the cable), but it is not a solution anyway.

It seems like a replacement is needed?

Jacob Abramson

PostMon Jun 12, 2017 6:02 pm

That's exactly what mine was doing. Have BMD replace it.

Regarding not powering on, disconnect everything and wait a couple of minutes. It'll work after that. (Had same issue).
Equipment In Use:
HyperDeck Studio Pro 4k
HyperDeck Studio
Teranex 2d
Teranex Express
MultiView 16
DeckLink Quad
Pocket Cinema Camera
Video Assist 4k

Jesse Widener

PostTue Jun 13, 2017 6:43 am

My issue is a bit different, but the title of this thread seems the appropriate place...

When the fold out LCD on mine is fully open, the touch screen is not responsive. Closing the screen slightly brings back touch responsiveness. Anyone else experience this?

Gaston Alvarez

PostThu Jun 15, 2017 5:16 am

I have the same problems with my Ursa Mini Pro, my screen randomly has green lines and freezes the image and the touch response.

While this happens many times the video files are cut and when trying to format the memory there are times when I mark errors and simply do not format it, or at other times if format the memory.

It also occurred to me that it takes a while to start even if it is connected to a battery or is connected directly to the power eliminator.

Both in the PRO RES format and in DNG I get these errors.

The memory I am using is approved by Blackmagic Design.

The firmware is version 4.3.3

I have only two weeks with the camera and I really get angry that I have these kind of failures, I sold my URSA MINI 4.6k which worked perfect and having these types of malfunctions makes me feel a little disappointed.

I leave you this video when my Ursa Mini Pro Freeze error occur
https://1drv.ms/v/s!ApP7L5u-wXyGmQC9Abi6FFg_iM24

I hope i can get support of Blackmagic Design to replace my UMP, i really love this camera and i cant wait to use it without errors.
Attachments
URSA-MINI-4.6k.jpg
System Freezzes randomly with this screen error
URSA-MINI-4.6k.jpg (279.15 KiB) Viewed 2212 times

Return to Cinematography