Tripod, Zoom, LANC -- Blackmagic Studio Cam

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Jason Bradley

Tripod, Zoom, LANC -- Blackmagic Studio Cam

PostWed May 24, 2017 10:56 pm

Hey everyone, I'm sorry if this isn't the correct area for this, however I'm a production manager of a venue and this side of video isn't my #1 area of expertise.

I have several blackmagic camera's I'm using for my live video production during concerts and corporate events. I recently purchased the Studio Camera to use as my front of house camera. I have a nice tripod that worked well with my old Canon FOH camera, but the plate won't mate up with the Studio Camera. The threaded screws are too small. Before I drop several hundred on a new Tripod, is there an adapter plate or something? If not, what's a good affordable tripod that will work with the Studio Camera?

2nd Question: Is this camera manual zoom only? I purchased the Olympus M.Zuiko 40-150mm lens and was told that zoom would work. It doesn't.

3rd: What LANC is everyone using with this camera? (Once I get the zoom issue figured out)

Thank you!

Denny Smith

Re: Tripod, Zoom, LANC -- Blackmagic Studio Cam

PostMon May 29, 2017 5:52 am

First, you are going to need a new heavy duty Video tripod, figure at least $500 for a minimal one, like a Manfrotto, with a fluid head.

Next the Olympus 40-150 Pro zoom lens, is a manual zoom long lens to complement the wide to normal 12-40 f/2.8 zoom. The zoom control via LANC us not going to control zoom on a manual zoom lens like this. The only Ply MFT zoom with " power" servo zoom that does work with LANC is the 12-50mm f/3.5-6.3 EZ zoom, which is not a low light venue lens, and will also change the exposure during a zoom, so no live zoom moves with it.

The BM Studio camera is a S16 size sensor camera, much smaller than the sensor in a Canon DSLR camera. So the 40-150m, lens is going to be a bit long for a FOH camera, unless you are looking for close up shots from it. A 40mm in the Studio camera is like using a 115mm lens on a Canon DSLR (135mm size sensor). A 16mm focal length is the "normal" FOV (50mm equivalent on 135), so a 12-40 might be a better choice.

You need to do some research, check comments in the Live Production forum here, for previous discussions on the BM Studio cameras.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Joshua Dredge

PostMon May 29, 2017 11:31 am

You don't need a super expensive tripod, the camera's not that heavy. $350 for a MVH500 should do fine. That said, an adapter plate likely exists. What's you current tripod/head situation?

Denny Smith

PostMon May 29, 2017 6:31 pm

The tripod issue is not so much camera weight, but the OP is using a long focal length zoom.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Leon Benzakein

PostTue May 30, 2017 12:17 am

Jason Bradley wrote: I have a nice tripod that worked well with my old Canon FOH camera, but the plate won't mate up with the Studio Camera. The threaded screws are too small.

If I understand correctly.
Studio Cam  threaded holes.jpg
Studio Cam threaded holes.jpg (62.07 KiB) Viewed 1923 times

You can purchase adapters that make 3/8-16 holes into 1/4-20 holes.

http://www.smallrig.com/new-thread-adap ... k-856.html

BUT definitely take the weight into consideration especially if you are using a long lens.
Television: Lighting/Cameraman, O.B. Camera Operator, Experience in EFP, EPG and ENG , Grip, Lamp Operator
Film: Grip, Lamp Operator
Theater: Lighting Designer, Light board Operator, Stage Electrician, Stage Management

Denny Smith

PostTue May 30, 2017 4:57 am

Yes, yes you can, but not always the best option. The aoP's tripod may also,have a 3/8 tripod plate option, as the smaller Manfrotto tripods have.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Leon Benzakein

PostTue May 30, 2017 5:49 am

Denny Smith wrote:Yes, yes you can, but not always the best option.

I agree.
There must be a reason why BMD went with 3/8 holes for the plate mounting instead of 1/4.

I would further suggest that Jason be aware of the balance issue when using a tripod head that cannot take the weight of the camera with zoom lens.
Television: Lighting/Cameraman, O.B. Camera Operator, Experience in EFP, EPG and ENG , Grip, Lamp Operator
Film: Grip, Lamp Operator
Theater: Lighting Designer, Light board Operator, Stage Electrician, Stage Management

Return to Cinematography