Why loyalty upgrade 3495$ not for all BM cameras owners?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Michael Moore

Why loyalty upgrade 3495$ not for all BM cameras owners?

PostSun Jun 04, 2017 11:32 am

I dont understand why the ursa mini pro loyalty upgrade price is 3495 $ just for the Ursa major owners but not for ursa mini 4K, ursa mini 4.6K, 4K production camera. I think if BM give this upgrade price for all BM camera owners will increase the selling of ursa mini pro very much. A rumor that BM take care about his customer with loyalty price will make many people to choose Blackmagic brand against competitions brands.

Joshua Dredge

Re: Why loyalty upgrade 3495$ not for all BM cameras owners?

PostSun Jun 04, 2017 12:33 pm

Because the URSA owners were promised something that was not delivered.

At that price, Blackmagic is not making much, if any, money on the camera. They're most likely losing money, so I doubt they want to increase sales at that price.

Dennis Sørensen

PostMon Jun 05, 2017 11:40 am

No. This is very bad if they did so.

It is exactly how RED does it. When you by a new camera they will give the new one cheaper with a trad in program. But all that does is to drive the price up with a "fake" level.

Because if RED will pay 5.000$ for your old camera, then why not just make the new camera 5000$ cheaper? But no. That is to have the cameras sit at a fake high level.

So no. This is only because they promised something and havent delivered yet and a way to say sorry.

Rakesh Malik

PostMon Jun 05, 2017 2:47 pm

Michael Moore wrote:A rumor that BM take care about his customer with loyalty price will make many people to choose Blackmagic brand against competitions brands.

Why would it make sense for BMD to reduce the prices on its already so low priced cameras when they're already selling like hot cakes?
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Ellory Yu

PostMon Jun 05, 2017 2:55 pm

Rakesh Malik wrote:
Michael Moore wrote:A rumor that BM take care about his customer with loyalty price will make many people to choose Blackmagic brand against competitions brands.

Why would it make sense for BMD to reduce the prices on its already so low priced cameras when they're already selling like hot cakes?

So that they will sell more of their hot pancakes and people will eat more of their hot pancakes. ;)
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Rakesh Malik

PostMon Jun 05, 2017 3:10 pm

Ellory Yu wrote:So that they will sell more of their hot pancakes and people will eat more of their hot pancakes. ;)

BMD is already selling as many of them as it's able to make. Discounting the cameras to eat up the profit margin wouldn't do wonders for the line's longevity.
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

JasonFinnigan

PostMon Jun 05, 2017 7:47 pm

Ellory Yu wrote:
Rakesh Malik wrote:

So that they will sell more of their hot pancakes and people will eat more of their hot pancakes. ;)

At much less profit, meaning less money for R&D of future Cameras.

Rakesh Malik

PostMon Jun 05, 2017 7:57 pm

JasonFinnigan wrote:At much less profit, meaning less money for R&D of future Cameras.

Exactly. Given the features and image quality, the only people who have a right to complain about BMD's prices are Sony, Canon, Red, and Panasonic.
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

chris.white

PostMon Jun 05, 2017 8:21 pm

Rakesh Malik wrote:
JasonFinnigan wrote:At much less profit, meaning less money for R&D of future Cameras.

Exactly. Given the features and image quality, the only people who have a right to complain about BMD's prices are Sony, Canon, Red, and Panasonic.

There's always the argument of sell more for less, or sell less for more. As long as they're not losing money on them, it would seemingly balance out up to a point. But yes, supply and demand... and they already seem to be having enough trouble on the supply end... so yeah, why bother (though I suspect many are new BMD owners anyway). But some type of loyalty discount for current BMD owners (non-URSA major) would be nice... even if it was tiered by which camera(s) you already own.
---
c

Rakesh Malik

PostMon Jun 05, 2017 8:33 pm

chris.white wrote:But some type of loyalty discount for current BMD owners (non-URSA major) would be nice... even if it was tiered by which camera(s) you already own.
---
c

There IS a loyalty discount; sell the old one, buy the new one. That's basically what Red's program is, except that Red takes the trade in for you, and also sells your traded in camera.
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Gene Kochanowsky

PostMon Jun 05, 2017 8:38 pm

Michael Moore wrote:I dont understand why the ursa mini pro loyalty upgrade price is 3495 $ just for the Ursa major owners but not for ursa mini 4K, ursa mini 4.6K, 4K production camera. I think if BM give this upgrade price for all BM camera owners will increase the selling of ursa mini pro very much. A rumor that BM take care about his customer with loyalty price will make many people to choose Blackmagic brand against competitions brands.

I feel for you Blackmagic, no good deed goes unpunished.

chris.white

PostTue Jun 06, 2017 2:18 am

Rakesh Malik wrote:There IS a loyalty discount; sell the old one, buy the new one.

Certainly.

For me, I think it's more of a gesture of goodwill and reward for sticking with them -- seeing a decent number of people have been with BMD for a while now -- through the growing pains of at least a couple cameras with extended delivery delays, suddenly abandoned hardware features, quirks, faults and the debugging that has often accompanied them.

If the cameras were registered new... they obviously know your purchase/support history. Why not show those people some love? It's not everyone... and even then not everyone of those has had to return a camera for faults (some even multiple times).

It doesn't even have to be as deep of a discount as the URSA offer. Goodwill goes a long way in word-of-mouth for a company showing that it truly appreciates it's more loyal customers.
---
c

Gene Kochanowsky

PostTue Jun 06, 2017 11:08 am

The way a company gets loyalty is by creating and shipping great products at great prices. Anything else is a fast track to bankruptcy.

There is an old business joke, 'We loose money on every unit we sell but we make up for it in volume."

JasonFinnigan

PostTue Jun 06, 2017 12:37 pm

chris.white wrote:
Rakesh Malik wrote:There IS a loyalty discount; sell the old one, buy the new one.

Certainly.

For me, I think it's more of a gesture of goodwill and reward for sticking with them -- seeing a decent number of people have been with BMD for a while now -- through the growing pains of at least a couple cameras with extended delivery delays, suddenly abandoned hardware features, quirks, faults and the debugging that has often accompanied them.

If the cameras were registered new... they obviously know your purchase/support history. Why not show those people some love? It's not everyone... and even then not everyone of those has had to return a camera for faults (some even multiple times).

It doesn't even have to be as deep of a discount as the URSA offer. Goodwill goes a long way in word-of-mouth for a company showing that it truly appreciates it's more loyal customers.
---
c

That's a bad business decision to just do that kind of stuff. It also fosters entitlement and anger against the company. "Hey, he got this camera $200 cheaper, now why can't I? If you don't give it to me at that price I'm going to ________ instead."

Leon Benzakein

PostTue Jun 06, 2017 2:59 pm

BMD is a business organization, not a charity.
It needs to turn a profit to stay in business.

Like anyone else in the adult world.
Television: Lighting/Cameraman, O.B. Camera Operator, Experience in EFP, EPG and ENG , Grip, Lamp Operator
Film: Grip, Lamp Operator
Theater: Lighting Designer, Light board Operator, Stage Electrician, Stage Management

Darko Djerich

PostTue Jun 06, 2017 11:44 pm

BMD has overlooked loyal users with UM4.6 mini with PRO version, but still delivered what promised with mini.

If they introduced UM PRO at NAB 2017 then that would be ok, but they introduced and made available just after sorting out deliveries with Mini 4.6.

I think lesson learnt for both parties.
Loyalty goes both ways, I am sure lots of loyals here will be lot less "passionate" to grab next BMD camera moment they arrive and they will be looking in other brands more closely then previously.

I certainly will.
Artist
Creative Film Enterprises Pty Ltd
creativefilm.com.au
ARRI Alexa EV, ALEXA Plus, MBP M3Pro, iMac5k i7 48gb AERO 5 OLED rtx3070ti BMD eGPU phase one p40+, UM4.6 ef bmcc ef bmpcc, speed editor, Ultrastudio mini 4k dji Inspire RAW 4K

Return to Cinematography