Sigma 18-35mm ART canon mount compatibility

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Fabricio Fausti

Sigma 18-35mm ART canon mount compatibility

PostThu Jun 15, 2017 2:13 pm

Hello! I`ve just buy a BMPCC and I want to know if it is posible to attach the Sigma 18-35 lens directly to the camera without any adapter and use it to make some shots until i`m able to buy the metabone speedbooster. I know that the electronics circuits will not be able but, will the lens mount in the body of the bmpcc?

Thank you!

Denny Smith

Re: Sigma 18-35mm ART canon mount compatibility

PostThu Jun 15, 2017 4:41 pm

No, any EF mount lens is going to require some type of smart adapter, as the Pocket camera is MFT mount only! While the Sigma 18-35 is a nice lens, it is not the best choice today for the Pocket camera. I would look at getting a Olympus Pro f/2.8 zoom or the new Panasonic Leica 12-60 f/2.8-4 zoom which are MFT mount, no adapters required and are a better fit for the Pocket camera size wise, and these lenses have excellent IQ also.

If you need a fast zoom in the 18-35 range, do what I did, and get a used (or new) Olympus Four Thirds 14-35 f/2.0 zoom, which has a more cinematic IQ than the harsh Sigma zoom (which does not work well with a Speed Booster combo, it is almost too sharp, causing mor'ie). The Olympus FT zoom will require a Panasonic or Olympus FT/MFT adapter which is a lot less than a Speed Booster.

I looked at both lenses when the Sigma camera out, it had too many issues, not really a Parfocal lens (some copies are close), and the image quality from the Olympus 14-35 is better in my opinion for video and Cine shooting, almost magical. Also, the Olympus is Auto or real manual focus (not focus by wire in the case of EF lenses), and is parfocal.

See: olympus 14-35mm f2 review
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Fabricio Fausti

PostThu Jun 22, 2017 2:27 pm

Thank you so much for your answer! Definitely ill take it on count. Do you have any opinion about the Voigtlanders 0.95 primes (particulary the 10.5mm) ? Specially because im looking lenses for shooting in outdoor by night without artificial light, you think that the Leicas or the Olympus will be the fast enough?

Denny Smith

PostThu Jun 22, 2017 5:46 pm

BM cameras, including the Pocket camera are not low light/night vision sensor cameras. They need a minimum level of light, and thenPocket/amicro are a native ISO 800 camera. So meter your typical scene, and see what f/stop you typically might need at ISO 800, 1/48 sec (24fps shutter speed). Most super fast lenses below f/2.0 are not sharp wide open, this is the Leica advantage, as their lenses, including the Panny Leica are typically sharp enough wide open. The Voightlanders and SLar Magic MFT lenses are very soft wide open, and f/0.94 is all out useless except for mood shots, which are nice.

Other fairly fast prime lens options include the T/1.4 Veydra Mini Primes, from 12mm to 85mm. Also using Nikon mount Zeiss ZF lenses (f/2:0) (or Older Nikin primes) with the BMPCC/Nik Speed Booster will give you a useable working f/1.0 to f/1.2 lens. I started out with the Zeiss ZFs and th Speed Booster before going with the Veydra Mini Primes and the native MFT Panny/Leica primes. Zooms are going to be slower lenses due to their optical design.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography