Exposing with the Video Assist 5

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Tim Pfautsch

PostSat Jun 17, 2017 7:48 am

Hey gang,

please help me determine how to expose using the Video Assist 5. (with a BMPCC)

I am using false color, its great, but now I am finding that the false color on the VA5 has one major flaw (at least how I understand it): It reads at sensor level not post LUT.
So my dark and light parts of the image are totally elsewhere when using a correction LUT in Resolve. Now I feel mega insecure using it at all, maybe overexposing the image but my FC telling me it is not overexposed. Also I wolud love exposing on the day,, drop my LUT I used in the field and have the values where I wanted them.
Might be user error, please help me dive into this subject.

Tim Pfautsch

Re: Exposing with the Video Assist 5

PostMon Jun 19, 2017 8:44 pm

Pushing this because this was created two days ago but just approved today.

rick.lang

PostTue Jun 20, 2017 5:25 pm

It's good that it is reading the sensor data to determine false colour in my opinion. Because you can capture all that sensor data on your recording when shooting raw and then work with it post.

Yesterday I had a shoot on the URSA Mini 4.6K with BM Viewfinder and had the BMD-supplied Video LUT turned on. False colour was showing me the yellow warning colour all over with lots of areas in the dreaded red. In other words, telling me I'm likely going to clip in the sensor. I turned the LUT Off, and without changing my exposure, I got back to my usual false colour display with pink skin. All the former yellow and red were now light grey. No clipping at all.

In Resolve I always work with 'Soft Clipping' and 'Recover Highlights' turned On to process the raw footage. And I ensure I've selected the 'Full' option, not the 'Video' option wherever that option is selectable including on the Deliver page. Using this workflow, I've never clipped anything that I didn't expect to clip.

I know this message might not be too helpful, but I don't use LUTs in Resolve and if I did they'd be pretty much the last node in the chain I think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography