URSA Mini 4,6K and Lenses?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Carsten Sellberg

Re: URSA Mini 4,6K and Lenses?

PostFri Aug 04, 2017 6:55 am

Hi.

Yesterday I got the Leitax mount installed on my used Contax Zeiss 80-200mm f4.

Some days ago I read that the Y/C-mount from Yashica/Contax has a Flange Total Distance of 45.5 mm and the Canon EF one of 44.00 mm, but it was not until I saw the installation that I realized, that it was just to unscrew 4 screws. Put the Leitax supplied mount on top the of the Contax Zeiss Lens and fasten the 4 screws again.

Here is a link to Leitax installation instructions:

http://leitax.com/conversion/Contax-Can ... index.html

Quote: 'Unfortunately, these lenses have one of the screws that coincide with the Canon's mount stop screw.'

Quote: 'The screwdriver is not working perfectly, but still you can tighten it quite well.'

Sure, the screwdriver was not working perfectly, but he succeeded to fasten the screw.
And I believe that the new EF mount is as strong as others.

You can find more info about the Contax Zeiss 80-200mm f/4.0 Vario-Sonnar if you google 'The Contax Zeiss Survival Guide'

But I now have an another questen about Tripods. What Tripod to look at?
I live in Europe and will properly not want to pay for the shipping from the US.
Do have any recommendations?

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

jogheeravi

PostThu Jul 26, 2018 12:58 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:Hi Carsten,

Just my opinion:
For your first lens I'd choose the Sigma ART 18-35 1.8 - it has no IS but is a very good and fast lens on the UM46k. It depends on your type of work, but you probably won't shoot much with a 75-300mm.
A second lens could be the Sigma ART 50-100mm 1.8 (has no IS) or a 70-200mm 2.8 lens from Canon, Sigma, Tamron, or Tokina.

My setup for client work mostly consists of:
  • Tokina Cine 11-16mm T3.0 (f2.8)
  • Sigma ART 18-35mm 1.8
  • Tokina Cine 50-135mm T3.0 (f2.8)

Those 3 lenses cover almost every scenario I am confronted with.

Dear Robert

I have just bought a BMDUMP4.6k. I checked lot of lenses to start with and I was in a budget as well. Finally I saw your post and opted for sigma 18-35mm f1.8 dc. The dealer in netherlands said that this lense is specific for canon EF-S mount but it can also work with BMDUMP4.6k with an EF mount. I checked the web/BM forum again . for specific details of EF-S mount. I posted a thread as well. You can see it here:

Ursa Mini Pro 4.6k with sigma 18-35 f1.8 dc art lenses/ef-s

The replies are divided and I am still not clear why the same lense you quoted/used has to have a different mount (canon EF-S)? Is there really two different lenses of sigma 18-35 f1.8 dc art made for two different mounts from Canon?

Could you help me out please?

Warm Regards
Ravi

Denny Smith

PostThu Jul 26, 2018 5:00 pm

Ravi, as answered in the other board, the Sigma Art 18-35mm lens has a Canon EF Mount, not a EF-S Mount. Your dealer is incorrect, in that the lens uses the standard EF mount, not the EF-S Mount. Only Canon makes lenses using the EF-S Plastic Mount for their newer EF-S Mount APS-C Cameras.

The Sigma lens is a APS-C lens, andmpeojects a smaller image circle at 18mm than a Full Frame 135mm kens will. That said, the lens will cover the Urs Mini 4.6 Frame when shooting UHD or downs amp,ed HD resolutions. Hiwever, will tend to have dark corners at 18-20mm when shooting full gate 4.5 Raw.

The lens works well on all BM EF Mount Cameras, including the Ursa Mini 4.6. ;)
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Robert Niessner

PostThu Jul 26, 2018 7:00 pm

Ravi, the Sigma 18-35 is EF mount, as Denny said and it works perfectly with the camera.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

jogheeravi