Ursa Viewfinder Bad Connection

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Phillip Bergman

Ursa Viewfinder Bad Connection

PostMon Jun 19, 2017 7:59 pm

Hey everyone,

I have a really bad connection with my ursa viewfinder. It seems to be a problem with the SDI connector. I sort of explain it in this youtube video here:

I've set up an RMA with Blackmagic, but before I send it in just wanted to see if anyone else had a similar problem or an easier fix than sending it in and having to pay blackmagic to repair it....
Last edited by Phillip Bergman on Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen Press

Re: Ursa Viewfinder Bad Connection

PostMon Jun 19, 2017 9:16 pm

Had the same problem. Sent it back and they gave me a whole new viewfinder.
"A cameraman with out a camera is just a man"

Patrick Acum

PostWed Jun 21, 2017 8:38 pm

This is driving me nuts too - I sent mine back with the camera and they said they couldn't see anything wrong! Its just blue 98% of the time! In the end I used a right angle inc adapter. If you slightly crimp in the female end and slightly expand the male end so you get a tighter fit, it sort of fixes it.

Matt Certa

PostThu Jun 22, 2017 2:24 pm

Had to have mine serviced for the blue screen too. I think they over engineered the viewfinder. the bnc connector feels really heavy dangling from the viewfinder, and a few of mine have the wiring exposed from the outer jacket pulling away from the strain relief at the base.

Anatoly Mashanov

PostFri Jun 23, 2017 7:35 am

While I have no experience with this specific model of BNC connector I have a [beep] of a lot of problems with ALL other models of it with old Soviet model being most reliable. For instance the crimp connectors have a common problem with broken shield wires under the crimp. So I mostly use Aspirin as a flux to solder the shield to the connector body. Use a big fat iron to heat the connector properly. Then the place of solder should be covered with threads and glue to fix it. It looks terrible but it works.

Phillip Bergman

PostFri Jun 23, 2017 5:11 pm

****UPDATE****

I sent in the viewfinder to BMD and they said the wires need to be replaced. I'm already past the 1 year warranty, so it's costing me $155 to fix. So we'll see if that fixes the problem.

Kai von Ahlefeld

PostSat Jun 24, 2017 9:29 am

I have the same problem. And was told they could not fix it by BM England so I am stuck with a broken viewfinder. It might have gotten damaged in transport. I would be happy to pay for repair, but apparently they don't have the spare parts. I consider it a bit of s design fault that the cables are included innige product and not exchangeable... they should just have SDI connectors!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
uberraum
Kai v. Ahlefeld
Paris · France

Denny Smith

PostSun Jun 25, 2017 4:31 pm

Well, one fix, is to get the Wooden Camera BM Virewfinder Mod Kit, which converts the cables to BNC connectors that accept regular cables. This is the route I would go, if it were mine.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Phillip Bergman

PostSat Jul 01, 2017 12:31 am

***UPDATE****

Got my viewfinder back from BMD today...

They replaced the SDI and Power cables, and now it works well with no connection issues.

Denny Smith

PostSat Jul 01, 2017 1:47 am

Good, glad you got it sorted OK.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography