Show us your BMCC Rigs and Parts Setups

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Stephen Grubb

Re: Show us your BMCC Rigs and Parts Setups

PostSat Mar 30, 2013 6:21 pm

Joe Gonzalez wrote:
Stephen Grubb wrote:Here's my rig . Lanparte kit v2. Hopefully get an evf soon and a better audio solution.

Hey Stephen is that a Lilliput 7" Monitor you have there? If so could you tell me what model it is. Im curious to which are working for this cam, ive tested a few with the converter but none work. Thank

Hi Joe, it's a Lilliput 5d-ii 7 inch. :)

emdy

PostSun Mar 31, 2013 12:04 am

Darryl Gregory wrote:I think it's time to show your Rigs, I'm still configuring mine from other/older and new parts.
although my BMCC camera is being fixed here is what I have thus far, sorry for the bad pics I was in a hurry, I'm still waiting on a lanparte V-mount battery plate, a Rycote Mic Shock Mount and 10" black anodized aluminum rods for the Top Handle and accessories.

What I like most about this setup is the manfrotto 394 rc4 low profile QR plates, and The Genus DSLR Matt box rod setup, this allows me to very quickly take the camera with Matt Box/Cage/FF etc to another rig i.e Jib, Dolly, Slider, Steadicam and more without tearing the rig down, or building it up again.

or I can just take the cage, camera and top handle with rods.

I'm getting my rig Monday. This is confirmed !!!! Expect to see the cadillac of rigs here. Well, except my mattebox which isn't ready yet. I need help with selecting SSD system (complete) for recording and uploading data from the BMCC to a macbook pro. Thanks people
Emdy Jones
Producer/Director
www.equa.ca
info@equa.ca
https://www.facebook.com/EquaStudios

rick.lang

PostSun Mar 31, 2013 2:25 am

emdy wrote:I'm getting my rig Monday. This is confirmed !!!! Expect to see the cadillac of rigs here. Well, except my mattebox which isn't ready yet. I need help with selecting SSD system (complete) for recording and uploading data from the BMCC to a macbook pro. Thanks people

There are newer SSDs that look good on paper but the two that seem to have provided consistently good results on the BMCC are the Sandisk Extreme 480GB which is on the recommended list provided by Blackmagic Design and the Sandisk Extreme 240GB which is not on the Blackmagic Design list of recommended SSDs for the BMCC. These SSDs have been out for about a year and have stood the test of time. Please peruse the several threads on SSDs on the forum if you want more detail.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Paul Abrahams

PostSun Mar 31, 2013 4:30 am

Stephen Grubb wrote:
rick.lang wrote:
Stephen Grubb wrote:Here's my rig . Lanparte kit v2. Hopefully get an evf soon and a better audio solution.

Looks very thoroughly thought out. How many pounds including the camera is the tripod and head holding? What tripod and head are you using? Thanks for any response.

Rick Lang

Hi Rick

The tripod head is a Manfrotto 504HD on 546B sticks. The tripod and head are sturdy enough, but the rig is too heavy for the counterbalance to work. However the setup in the photo is to allow me to shoot from the tripod or shoulder quickly. One issue I have encountered is because of the way the tripod base plate slips off the head backwards, I have to remove or at least loosen the Lanparte grip arms every time I need to take the rig on and off which isn't great as it takes a bit of fiddling to set it up again for hand held. As far as the weights concerned, not sure - no scales. It's heavy but reasonably well balanced so not too much of an issue for the type of shooting I do.

Hey Stephen, if the 504 is rated to handle up to 7.5kilos, your rig must be heavier if the counterbalance is not working. correct? I'm looking at getting that same head but not sure how heavy my rig will end up. Does it concern you about the head counterbal?
SubUrban Voodoo Productions

emdy

PostSun Mar 31, 2013 8:13 pm

rick.lang wrote:
emdy wrote:I'm getting my rig Monday. This is confirmed !!!! Expect to see the cadillac of rigs here. Well, except my mattebox which isn't ready yet. I need help with selecting SSD system (complete) for recording and uploading data from the BMCC to a macbook pro. Thanks people

There are newer SSDs that look good on paper but the two that seem to have provided consistently good results on the BMCC are the Sandisk Extreme 480GB which is on the recommended list provided by Blackmagic Design and the Sandisk Extreme 240GB which is not on the Blackmagic Design list of recommended SSDs for the BMCC. These SSDs have been out for about a year and have stood the test of time. Please peruse the several threads on SSDs on the forum if you want more detail.

Rick Lang

Thank you very much Rick, I will take that into consideration.
Emdy Jones
Producer/Director
www.equa.ca
info@equa.ca

Stephen Grubb

PostTue Apr 02, 2013 12:06 am

Paul Abrahams wrote:
Hey Stephen, if the 504 is rated to handle up to 7.5kilos, your rig must be heavier if the counterbalance is not working. correct? I'm looking at getting that same head but not sure how heavy my rig will end up. Does it concern you about the head counterbal?

Hi Paul

I researched a great deal before I settled for the 504. It seemed to be the best price / camera weight ratio out there. From online reviews I read, I anticipated that the counterbalance probably wouldn't work effectively with my full set up, so no, it doesn't concern me. It's still a pretty decent head though, if a touch on the heavy side, but if the rig is balanced it's fine (very smooth) - just have a steady hand and don't let go unless you're locked off.

wro

PostThu Apr 04, 2013 8:33 am

My tripod rig (not 100% ready - i will be waiting for Battery and cable):

This is:
Bebob Light Cage BMCC
GENUS Mattebox (2 filter slots)
Bebob COCO 15V-II
30 cm rods :)

James Tonkin

PostThu Apr 04, 2013 2:50 pm

I prefer to work small and light with the BMCC for the type of work I do and have been honing a handheld rig for the last few months. The key accessories for me is the Hawk-Wood battery adapter and Cineroid EVF4RVW.

IMG_1989.jpg
IMG_1989.jpg (334.72 KiB) Viewed 86342 times

Vitchub

PostFri Apr 05, 2013 8:35 am

Basic but ready to shoot BMCC rig:

ViewFactor cage
Ikan VH8 Monitor and Sony-L Battery Plate
Atomos HD SDI-HDMI Converter
Ebay Matte Box and Follow Focus (Film City from Chandigarh India)
Davis & Sanford Provista 7518 Tripod w/FM18 Head

I will upgrade the rig with a Tilta BS-T03 Quickrelease Baseplate and probably a Switronix PB70-BMCC.
But first let's put this beauty to work...

Francis Levy
Colima, Mexico

Wolf Schiebel

PostFri Apr 05, 2013 8:49 am

rick.lang wrote:

Rick Lang

I can confirm that also the Sandisk extreme 120 Gb is working flawlessly, also for raw, even it is mentioned on the BMC list only for prores... i have two of them shooting raw only for two weeks now..

Wolf

Darryl Gregory

PostFri Apr 05, 2013 10:39 am

Wolf Schiebel wrote:
rick.lang wrote:

Rick Lang

I can confirm that also the Sandisk extreme 120 Gb is working flawlessly, also for raw, even it is mentioned on the BMC list only for prores... i have two of them shooting raw only for two weeks now..

Wolf

Shooting and editing the footage are two different things, Tell us after you have edited, that you have no dropped frames.

emdy

PostFri Apr 05, 2013 8:02 pm

What did you all say about rigs?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/r7595kzyl6u2a2e/8eCkKAJ1Zi

That's right!!! Filming an experimental commercial next week with this baby. Be sure to tune in.

Oh, Guys I need help with regards to filming 60fps with the BMCC EF. Is that possible?

Thanks.
Emdy Jones
Producer/Director
www.equa.ca
info@equa.ca

rick.lang

PostFri Apr 05, 2013 11:04 pm

emdy wrote:I need help with regards to filming 60fps with the BMCC EF. Is that possible?

Thanks.

With the current firmware release, version 1.2, the frame rates are 24, 25, and 30 fps (and the NTSC variants). It has been stated in several posts that the current camera cannot support a frame rate of 60 fps in part due to the extra heat that would generate and the processing power to drive it.

Rick Lang
Rick Lang

emdy

PostFri Apr 05, 2013 11:41 pm

rick.lang wrote:
emdy wrote:I need help with regards to filming 60fps with the BMCC EF. Is that possible?

Thanks.

With the current firmware release, version 1.2, the frame rates are 24, 25, and 30 fps (and the NTSC variants). It has been stated in several posts that the current camera cannot support a frame rate of 60 fps in part due to the extra heat that would generate and the processing power to drive it.

Rick Lang

Thank you Rick, I should have read some previous posts before posting but there is so much content throughout the forum, one can easily get confused. Once more thank you.
Emdy Jones
Producer/Director
www.equa.ca
info@equa.ca

OneShot.tv

PostSat Apr 06, 2013 5:49 pm

This is my rig :)

- Shape BlackMagic Shoulder Mount
- LightCraft mattebox
- LightCraft Fader ND Digi Pro-HD 4X4 inch
- JVC PRO-HD monitor
- Tascam DR-100
- Rode NTG2 Long shotgun microphone
- F&V V-mount
Greetings,

Joas

OneShot Media
to convince

www.oneshot.tv

ChrisBarcellos

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 6:34 pm

Fun with Home Depot Stuff:

ChrisBarcellos

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 6:34 pm

Fun with Home Depot Stuff:

Ghassan Nazmi

PostTue Apr 09, 2013 12:25 am

ChrisBarcellos wrote:Fun with Home Depot Stuff:

Unbelievable man! You rock! hahahaha
Ghassan Nazmi
Writer|Director|Cinematographer
Info@ghassannazmi.com
www.ghassannazmi.com (Currently Upgrading)

http://instagram.com/oras_gn

VINTRUSCAM (BMCC 2.5K MFT)

Darryl Gregory

PostThu Apr 11, 2013 1:16 am

ChrisBarcellos wrote:Fun with Home Depot Stuff:

Hey Chris your not in LA are you?

ChrisBarcellos

PostThu Apr 11, 2013 4:17 am

Sacramento Area...

Darryl Gregory

PostThu Apr 11, 2013 5:23 am

ChrisBarcellos wrote:Sacramento Area...

Close enough, I hope I someday soon I can hang out with you when I'm in the Sac area,
We should try and get a "BMCC/BMPC" Meetup group together, you are perfect for a BMD DIY Group Meetup leader!

Anyway love your YT videos, and what you have contributed with BMCC DIY.

Cheers

dallascurrie

PostThu Apr 11, 2013 2:46 pm

lower budget, but just received my BMCC
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dallascurrie1/8639535165/

wilfredo

PostSat Apr 13, 2013 6:05 am

My current set up...Nothing fancy.
Attachments
IMG_0727.JPG
Nothing too fancy.
IMG_0727.JPG (198.06 KiB) Viewed 86677 times

rick.lang

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 12:24 am

wilfredo wrote:My current set up...Nothing fancy.

Is the black tape on the BMCC camera to keep out dust or moisture?

Rick Lang
Rick Lang

thatsfinebut

PostMon Apr 15, 2013 5:56 am

Darryl Gregory wrote:I think it's time to show your Rigs, I'm still configuring mine from other/older and new parts.
although my BMCC camera is being fixed here is what I have thus far, sorry for the bad pics I was in a hurry, I'm still waiting on a lanparte V-mount battery plate, a Rycote Mic Shock Mount and 10" black anodized aluminum rods for the Top Handle and accessories.

What I like most about this setup is the manfrotto 394 rc4 low profile QR plates, and The Genus DSLR Matt box rod setup, this allows me to very quickly take the camera with Matt Box/Cage/FF etc to another rig i.e Jib, Dolly, Slider, Steadicam and more without tearing the rig down, or building it up again.

or I can just take the cage, camera and top handle with rods.

Darryl, do you mind if I ask what top handle you are using on your rig (the green and black one)?

Darryl Gregory

PostMon Apr 15, 2013 6:12 am

thatsfinebut wrote:

or I can just take the cage, camera and top handle with rods, I paid $70 w/free shipping.
I think I got it on Ebay with a "Make Offer" not Amazon!
Here is the link http://www.ebay.com/itm/LanParte-Top-Ha ... 3a7fa0ffb7

Darryl, do you mind if I ask what top handle you are using on your rig (the green and black one)?

I'm using the Lanparte Top Handle
I purchased off Ebay with a Make Offer: for $70 with free shiping

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LanParte-Top-Ha ... 3a7fa0ffb7

Tilta Top Handle

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tilta-III-Pro-T ... 3cd0630e23

Shape Top Handle
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... &A=details

Another thing to think about is how high the handle is from the rods,
Some are very close to the rods and hard to mount anything to the rods under the handle,
The lanparte seems just about right, I think Redrocks Top handle is even taller.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/7 ... _Plus.html

When I say harder to mount, I mean getting your fingers under the handle to tighten
anything you are trying to attach to the rods under the handle, like knobs, it can get frustrating
if the handle is so close to the rods you have no room to add things and get your fingers in there to tighten them down.

Example of handle to rod spacing image below

But the Shape Handle it can rotate and is INDEXABLE so you can move it out of the way, and position it whenever and wherever you like with the push of a button, Very cool, but it is very close to the Rods, thus possibly making other attached gear UN-mountable if the handle can not return to a 180 degree position in either direction, even if it can rotate.

UPDATE: Also I don't like color in any parts of my Rig, So If by chance you order from Redrock Micro
They have "ALL BLACK" knobs and handles, just be sure you specify that in your order with them.

thatsfinebut

PostTue Apr 16, 2013 5:19 am

Darryl- thank you for the very detailed reply. It's very helpful.

Thomas Schumacher

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 9:05 am

This is my cheap rig, neither tested in the field nor finished, the battery well get a different place on a rod with a clamp, the mic then as well.
Attachments
cheapBMC_rig.jpg
cheapBMC_rig.jpg (114.11 KiB) Viewed 86520 times
https://www.gernemehrfilm.de/

wro

PostSat Apr 20, 2013 2:04 pm

emdy

PostSat Apr 20, 2013 5:15 pm

I need help guys. I have BMCC EF with Sandisk Extreme and a Blackmagic Hyper Deck Shuttle.
\
Do I still need a Newer Technology Voyager or similar? Please, how do I format my SSD?

Thanks
Emdy Jones
Producer/Director
www.equa.ca
info@equa.ca

sean mclennan

PostSat Apr 20, 2013 5:35 pm

Yeah, I would use a dock. That's what I have. $40 and it's plug n play. Simple.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSat Apr 20, 2013 6:44 pm

emdy wrote:... Do I still need a Newer Technology Voyager or similar? Please, how do I format my SSD? Thanks

As described on page 24 in the BMCC user manual:

"... Step 2: Take the SSD out of the camera and dock it to your computer via a SSD dock with a fast Thunderbolt, USB 3.0 or eSATA connection. ..."

You use a computer-connected SSD dock to transfer BMCC video from the SSD to the computer. You use the computer to format the SSD in the dock before using it in a BMCC.

emdy

PostSat Apr 20, 2013 8:00 pm

Thank you guys Sean & Peter. I should've read the manual.
Emdy Jones
Producer/Director
www.equa.ca
info@equa.ca

Soeren Mueller

PostSun Apr 21, 2013 5:07 pm

ReWo rig with XP8000 battery, Lanparte follow focus, Shoot35 Cinebox swing away matte box and BON FM-051SCH high brite HD-SDI monitor.. nicely compact and quite flexible to configure... (pictured with Canon 16-35mm 2.8 and Tiffen 4x4 Pol + ND)

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSun Apr 21, 2013 5:46 pm

Sweet-looking rig, Soeren!

Soeren Mueller

PostSun Apr 21, 2013 6:46 pm

Thanks Peter :) .. I really like it so far - and I'm glad the BON has audio meters as well, so helpful (picked it up for a bargain at last years IBC)

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSun Apr 21, 2013 7:03 pm

Soeren Mueller wrote:Thanks Peter :) .. I really like it so far - and I'm glad the BON has audio meters as well, so helpful (picked it up for a bargain at last years IBC)

It's great when coincidences (monitor having audio meters, and cam does not) work out that way.

I'm going to attempt to keep by cam & rig weight as low as possible, but at a certain point it gets to be a trade-off between cost & functionality.

Cheers.

MaxEmanuel

PostMon Apr 22, 2013 1:14 pm

Not even close to finish and sadly on the cam the battery and the flange focus distance are not working the way they should - but still, I love my little BMCC ;)
Attachments
IMG_1084.JPG
IMG_1084.JPG (264.6 KiB) Viewed 86599 times
Max Biber // BIBERFILM // Germany

Soeren Mueller

PostWed Apr 24, 2013 6:18 pm

Just wanted to share pics of the other excellent wooden handle I got from ReWo Technik, super comfy!

Trevor Zuck

PostSat Apr 27, 2013 7:35 am

My quick easy cheap ergonomic handheld solution. Still designing a full cage, and rig setup, but this will suffice for my weekend shoot.

P.S. cost less than $15 and works great for emulating DSLR comfort.
- TZ

Visual FX and Post Production Artist
Screenscape Studios

MaxEmanuel

PostSat Apr 27, 2013 7:54 am

Why not, as long as it works for you - great ;)

Andreas Kaufmann

PostSat Apr 27, 2013 9:57 am

Soeren Mueller wrote:Just wanted to share pics of the other excellent wooden handle I got from ReWo Technik, super comfy!

Hey Soeren,

When and where did you get your camera.. wasn't aware you finally got one
www.andreas-kaufmann.net

Soeren Mueller

PostSat Apr 27, 2013 11:36 am

AndiDieMaus wrote:Hey Soeren,

Long story short.. "privately organized import" via Australia *sigh* so it was a little more expensive, canceled my Marcotec preorder. Guess they still have only received very few cameras so far.. oO

Where did you preorder again? Nothing new yet? Hope you get yours soon! Or if you wanna have a look or something just let me know ;)

MaxEmanuel

PostSat Apr 27, 2013 12:54 pm

Soeren Mueller wrote:
AndiDieMaus wrote:Hey Soeren,

Long story short.. "privately organized import" via Australia *sigh* so it was a little more expensive, canceled my Marcotec preorder. Guess they still have only received very few cameras so far.. oO

Where did you preorder again? Nothing new yet? Hope you get yours soon! Or if you wanna have a look or something just let me know ;)

LOL I did the same thing :D

Cameron Mckinlay

PostTue Apr 30, 2013 6:19 pm

Soeren Mueller wrote:ReWo rig with XP8000 battery, Lanparte follow focus, Shoot35 Cinebox swing away matte box and BON FM-051SCH high brite HD-SDI monitor.. nicely compact and quite flexible to configure... (pictured with Canon 16-35mm 2.8 and Tiffen 4x4 Pol + ND)

Great looking rig Soeren! I loved this rig when I first saw it. But after emailing rewo over 6 times on multiple email contacts with a few questions about this rig with no response I chose not to go with a company with the worst customer relations ever. Instead I got the similarly built genus combat cage. Love it and the price point is excellent.
How was your experience dealing with rewo? We're they helpful and quick to respond?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Cameron Mckinlay

Marcel Beck

PostFri May 17, 2013 11:33 am

Soeren Mueller wrote:ReWo rig with XP8000 battery, Lanparte follow focus, Shoot35 Cinebox swing away matte box and BON FM-051SCH high brite HD-SDI monitor.. nicely compact and quite flexible to configure... (pictured with Canon 16-35mm 2.8 and Tiffen 4x4 Pol + ND)

That looks great! How do you find the Shoot35's Cinebox? I was looking to get one soon
Marcel Beck
Cinematographer & Producer
follow me: @mxbstudios

Peter Östlund

PostFri May 17, 2013 6:19 pm

This one has been shooting in South Africa and Congo DRC.
I also got an handle from Wooden camera. Shoulder rig from Cinecity, handmade alloy and some fix.
Attachments
BMCC-hand.jpg
BMCC-hand.jpg (540.12 KiB) Viewed 87045 times

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostSat May 18, 2013 5:50 am

Here's how i first had my rig put together:

I've made some changes to my rig now that have really helped, overall the rig is shorter, tighter, and better balanced:

First i replaced my old DSLR baseplate with a zacuto one that's actually designed for a c300. I liked the thin profile and it's sturdy.. plus allows adjustment forward or back when on sticks etc for balance. I've also been on a few shoots recently operating c300/100's etc and rigging it can be a pain trying to get a follow focus but this plate allows it easily since it was designed to accomodate it.

The shoulder pad is now connected to a zacuto q-release.. this allows me to add/remove the shoulder pad without removing anything else on the rails and i can go from shoulder mount straight to sticks/tripod/etc quickly, it also allows me to get the shoulder pad right under the camera for much better balance which is what i wanted. I also take off the z grips when on sticks as they can restrict movement on the tripod a little.

On top of the zacuto base plate is a low profile manfrotto quick release plate, and under it is another one (thanks Darryl!). I also got z-rail rods to mount the follow focus and mattebox on top so that i can disconnect the BMCC from the shoulder/tripod rig but keep the FF/Mattebox with the camera for operation in tight spaces etc. I got 4 of these plates so i can attach them to jib/steadicam/tripod/monopod/etc and move the system very quickly around. So far it works great!

I've put the top handle off center because when in full shoulder rig mode it's more balanced, and it allows me to quickly remove the top handle to put the bmcc (with mattebox and FF still attached) into one of my pelican 1510 cases (won't close with top handle on). I've also gotten another switronix (XP-L90S - 98W/h) battery to rotate with my existing switronix PB-70. So far very happy with the whole setup! I think only other addition i want for it is a focus whip so i don't have to hold my arm so high or move it so far from the z grips.

A picture of me with my rig shooting as 'b' cam next to an Alexa for a TVC this week:

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Paul Abrahams

PostSat May 18, 2013 6:14 am

Looking good there CaptainHook exactly what I'm looking for, camera over the pad. The Zacuto top handle and rails is on my shopping list.

Paul Abrahams

PostSat May 18, 2013 6:27 am

Peter Östlund wrote:This one has been shooting in South Africa and Congo DRC.
I also got an handle from Wooden camera. Shoulder rig from Cinecity, handmade alloy and some fix.

Nice and simple, reminds me of the Cruiser rig which I like.
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography