My first ever film.... want constructive criticism

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Kevin Pierce

My first ever film.... want constructive criticism

PostSun Jul 02, 2017 10:53 pm

Hi, besides being my first ever film, this is also my first time shooting with my BMCC 2.5k EF camera. I shot this in RAW (the gimbal and slider was done on a 5D mk ii and the car was shot on my IPhone).... I still work with only the free version of DaVinci Resolve so had no access to noise reduction, blurs, etc.... I first tried to shoot in low light inside but the blood orange wall in BG had severe dancing noise all over the place ! Can anyone give me any pointers on what should have been done to be a better job on this film ? Used Rokinon 35mm T1.5 which was equal to about an 80 or 85 with this camera crop factor I think. I love love love this camera !!!!!! I can't post a url but go to Rode dot com and then add all this to it /myrodereel/watch/entry/3784

thanks y'all !!!!!

James Harkness

Re: My first ever film.... want constructive criticism

PostSat Jul 08, 2017 1:42 am

hey I am by no means an expert, but I found the film a bit weird. The story wasn't very clear. The colors on each shot didn't match, some of them looked ungraded. The first scene where the priest is coming down the stairs was shaky, and not well done how you scrambled to place him in frame. Also his glasses were crooked which threw me off. When he is told to open the box and get his instructions, it is super unclear as to what he is supposed to do. Its very unclear what his demon actually is. I wouldn't have known he was dealing with an old demon unless I read the description. The shot where you go into the Bible unfocused seemed to be unnecessary. Warp stabilizer is very obviously used. When the scripture is read as if Jesus' voice saying Whovever shall believe in me shall have everlasting Life, it doesn't make sense to me. I don't understand why it is put there. He then puts down the gun, walks back into church and it is still unclear how he dealt with his demon. Not sure why you used 3 different cameras.

For some advice, I would try to make his demon that he is dealing with a lot more clear. Maybe show him struggling with the voices in his head as he is doing some daily routines, for example if it is a demon trying to get him to be violent you could show somebody passing by and have the demon speaking to convince him to do something bad. This way we are more understanding of what he is dealing with.

Give more detail to things like his instructions that are given. As he opened the box you could've had the demon speak while we seen the priests eyes going back and forth as if he is reading.

I would use 1 camera so the scene color matches atleast. Atleast not use the iphone that has automatic settings.

Return to Cinematography