Wifi and smart devices.

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Leon Benzakein

Wifi and smart devices.

PostFri Jul 14, 2017 6:24 pm

If the DJI Spark(as small as it is) can transmit image over wifi to smart device.
Why can that not be an added function to cameras? :?: :?: :?: :idea:
Television: Lighting/Cameraman, O.B. Camera Operator, Experience in EFP, EPG and ENG , Grip, Lamp Operator
Film: Grip, Lamp Operator
Theater: Lighting Designer, Light board Operator, Stage Electrician, Stage Management

Pavel Lavrov

Re: Wifi and smart devices.

PostFri Jul 14, 2017 8:42 pm

Can you be more specific which cameras are you talking about?
The camera I have supports video and control over wifi, directly from camera to iPhone (in my case)...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Pavel L

Leon Benzakein

PostFri Jul 14, 2017 9:16 pm

Pavel Lavrov wrote:Can you be more specific which cameras are you talking about?
The camera I have supports video and control over wifi, directly from camera to iPhone (in my case)...

What a lucky fellow you are.
Since I am on the Blackmagic Design forum I would imagine that I would be referring to BMD products.
N'est-ce pas?

So, Pavel what magical camera are you talking about?
I shall change the question.
Since Pavel can purchase a video camera that can send video over wifi to a smart device the technology already exists, can that technology be added to the BMD cameras?
Television: Lighting/Cameraman, O.B. Camera Operator, Experience in EFP, EPG and ENG , Grip, Lamp Operator
Theater: Lighting Designer, Light board Operator, Stage Electrician, Stage Management

Pavel Lavrov

PostSat Jul 15, 2017 12:05 am

No reason to mention non BMD camera here... there are plenty of cameras that do that now. But I'll be fair and point to the short comings of video over wifi.
1. Range
2. Delay
3. Quality, set up time etc...

For a consumer camera some things might be OK, where as for professional use I would need something without delay, if I were to pull focus.

I'm all for it, just not sure technology is there yet. Or close enough for BMD to integrate it.

Pavel L

Denny Smith

PostSat Jul 15, 2017 2:57 am

The Ursa Mini Pro has WiFi or Bluetooth, not sure which, for camera control and a IPhone app that is available. But Video over wifi currently has too much delay for Pro use. :mrgreen:
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Leon Benzakein

PostSat Jul 15, 2017 3:05 pm

Pavel Lavrov wrote:No reason to mention non BMD camera here... there are plenty of cameras that do that now. But I'll be fair and point to the short comings of video over wifi.
1. Range
2. Delay
3. Quality, set up time etc...

For a consumer camera some things might be OK, where as for professional use I would need something without delay, if I were to pull focus.

I'm all for it, just not sure technology is there yet. Or close enough for BMD to integrate it.

All valid points.
Something else to think about.
On the DJI remote control you can get connection to the smart device via micro usb.
Manfrotto has the Digital Director for iPad for DSLR.
Can this be added to BMD cameras?

Denny, I could be wrong but I think it is Bluetooth.

My point being that we all have smart devices and to be able to use these as an extra monitor would be a major bonus.
Going the cable route would help with latency.

My mid-year resolution:- Think out of the box ...... there is more air out there.

rick.lang

Wifi and smart devices.

PostSat Jul 15, 2017 6:58 pm

The URSA Mini Pro includes Bluetooth, not WiFi. Leon is correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Leon Benzakein

PostSun Jul 16, 2017 4:09 pm

Next question.

Is it possible to build a box that converts SDI and HDMI to whatever is needed to work with an app on a smart device?

We know the technology exists.

End game:- turn a smart device into a monitor with low latency.

We know that BMD is good at building conversion devices. :ugeek:

Denny Smith

PostSun Jul 16, 2017 5:44 pm

Blue tooth it is, thanks Rick! :mrgreen:
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Aaron Green

PostSun Jul 16, 2017 5:50 pm

I just used the DJI Osmo and was wondering this myself.

Albeit expensive, Teradek just released a wireless SDI transmitter that can be viewed on up to 10 iOS devices.

Leon Benzakein

PostSun Jul 16, 2017 6:46 pm

Aaron Green wrote:Albeit expensive, Teradek just released a wireless SDI transmitter that can be viewed on up to 10 iOS devices.

Teradek is the benchmark, but when you think that the DJI Spark and Osmo cost $700.00 at most and has this technology included.

It makes one think.
or maybe not.

I have a Sandisk thumb drive that I can connect to via wifi and an app.
https://www.sandisk.com/home/mobile-dev ... less-stick

The technology is there we just need someone to build the external interface box.
BMD makes converters for SDI to HDMI etc.
Is it possible to build a converter from video device to smart phone.
I think yes.
Something like this:
Mini Recorder.jpg
Mini Recorder.jpg (35.74 KiB) Viewed 3821 times

To Lightning, micro USB and USB C.

Please sir can we have some more.
Thanks Grant(call me if you need help) :roll:

Leon Benzakein

PostWed Aug 23, 2017 3:24 pm

Leon Benzakein

PostSat Oct 07, 2017 4:16 pm

Nick Gombinsky

PostSun Oct 08, 2017 12:37 am

There are many different wireless video products out there. Each one has its pros and cons. None of them are perfect.

Including one of those inside a camera is also tricky.

Can you imagine, with all the grilling BM cameras get each time they come out, justified or not (many times the users just don't know what they're doing), what everyone is going to think about this specific wireless video implementation they used?

If its not perfect, if the range is not good enough, if it has more delay than what some consider useful, then not only it will be a PR nightmare for them, it'll also have raised the cost of the camera for everyone.
(...and then a lot of people will end up buying or renting a separate Teradek because they need something more reliable)

shahpayal

PostWed Aug 21, 2019 5:59 am

It depends on which camera you are using because some cameras have support to transmit images, videos over wifi to smart devices.

Return to Cinematography