Dead or irretrievably damaged Ursa mini sought for research.

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

robert Hart

Dead or irretrievably damaged Ursa mini sought for research.

PostFri Jul 21, 2017 11:14 am

As an outside chance, is there anyone who has an URSA Mini which has been written off by being run over or some other irretrievable catastrophe. I am after a ruined specimen to study as a pattern for an internal Speedbooster fitment similar to what I have doing with a big URSA.

robert Hart

Re: Dead or irretrievably damaged Ursa mini sought for resea

PostSat Sep 09, 2017 6:49 pm

This short post is purposed to give an older post a bit of a kick back upstairs where it might be read once more.

I have had no fortune thus far with BM directly in getting hold of any broken camera bodies as design references.

I have established that a Metabones Speedbooster 0.71 optical cell is doable in the big URSA PL when Nikon lenses are used and is reliable. For the original 4K cinema camera, the 0.71 modification and use of Nikon lenses may be doable. A substitute Nikon mount for the PL-Mount version of the camera appears doable. For the EF-Mount version there is no point as there are good EF-Mount to Nikon F-Mount adaptors available.

A speedbooster for the PL-Mount versions of the URSA Mini 4K and URSA Mini 4.6K "seem" to be doable but not being able to study closely the system of attaching the existing PL-Mount means I cannot know if there remains workspace behind the rear of the PL-Mount's rear attachment face.

Only a voyage around inside the camera throat will tell me that.

Michael Odhiambo

PostSat Sep 16, 2017 3:56 am

Champion on. Interesting to see how this pans out. How will you deal with the flange dist adjustment?

robert Hart

PostSat Sep 16, 2017 11:16 am

QUOTE: "Michael Odhiambo » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:56 pm

Champion on. Interesting to see how this pans out. How will you deal with the flange dist adjustment?"

With the big URSA, that was solvable in the case of Nikon lenses with their 46.5mm flange to focal plane distance. The rear of the 0.71 Speedbooster optical cell for correct infinity focus is just forward of the existing IR filter in the big URSA. If the position of the IR filter in the smaller URSA Mini is the same, then a Speedbooster mod may be possible.

robert Hart

PostSun Oct 08, 2017 7:37 pm

This is a follow-up post to kick this original back upstairs for while.

I have made a little progress on the big URSA 4K PL model Speedbooster for Nikon option. The 0.71 cell can be adjusted for true infinity focus on my specimen of the big URSA with the Nikon lenses.

It is likely that EF-Mount lenses may be likewise accommodated on the Big URSA 4K PL but the support would be very thin. As with the Nikon F-Mount, the locking pins function is lost so the arrangement will not suit motorised follow-focus systems as the calibration function will twist the lenses out of the mounts when seeking the hard limits of the focus rotation.

Any catastrophically damaged camera bodies of the URSA Mini 4K, URSA Mini 4.K or the URSA Mini Pro would be appreciated.

Regards from Western Australia.

Return to Cinematography