Filming a Wedding...

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Denny Smith

Re: Filming a Wedding...

PostTue Aug 15, 2017 8:42 pm

Nicely done, very simple, but elegant, with some style. As it should, the event is centered around the bride and groom. :mrgreen:

A Micro Cinema camera with a EVF or SmallHD Focus would be a good choice for shooting a wedding, that is going to be rendered down to 720p anyway to get a DVD. This way, you keep,the rig small and simple, and can concentrate on the event, and not the camera. Get one with enough lead time to get used to how it shoots and the files edit. You can add the BMPCC/EF Speed Booster, and use your Canon EF lenses.

While the UM 4.6 is a great camera option, if you go this way, make sure to get in lots of practice with it beforehand. But, I think using the smaller camera will get shots you might not with the larger camera. I am speaking from a personal history as an event and wedding photographer. People often become intimidated by large cameras aimed at them, some of my best work shooting people and events, was working with small camera setup, allowing the subjects to remain relaxed and themselves.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

Filming a Wedding...

PostWed Aug 16, 2017 5:47 pm

Pretty work, Ross.

Sure wish I had demanded that mic on last Saturday's outdoor wedding in a park near a very busy road with cars, trucks, a motorcycle, and a small prop airplane as background to the ceremony. Hey, my indoor reception had a mic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 3:54 pm

My first render of the approximately 100 minute video completes in less than an hour. This is just a proof for approval purposes and is missing some music that will be identified by the client later. So can't say when I'll have a wedding highlights short to show.

Shot 24 fps: the ceremony at normal settings like ISO 800 and 180 degree shutter angle; external shots of everyone entering the reception at ISO 1600; all interior reception footage with practical lights at ISO 1600, lens wide open at T2.4, 360 degree shutter angle. It's a dreamy video as it should be on that magical day!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Gene Kochanowsky

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 4:16 pm

Rick, Wow! One hundred minutes! Editing must have taken forever.

rick.lang

Filming a Wedding...

PostSat Aug 19, 2017 3:49 pm

Gene, I'm showing it this evening for review/approval purposes as it's missing some music to be determined by the bride and groom and the credits. It was stressful, but it's close to done.

This isn't as polished as I wished it could be with two disappointments being the level of unwanted ambient sound in the outdoor ceremony and the difficulty focusing at times with my subjects constantly moving about in quite low light at the reception.

I just capture what I can and I'm not there to direct anyone. You'll get a feel for it when I post trailers of the last two weddings. Last weekend's wedding seems like a charming home movie but maybe that's not so bad... given the (out of town) couple only let me know they wanted me to do the video the two weeks before (and the site ignored all repeated requests for me to do a site visit!) and consultation was a single brief email and a scribbled note at the rehearsal.

The previous local wedding had lots of consultations before the wedding and after reviewing the wedding video and the site was well lit and 100% cooperative and supportive of all suggestions.

Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostWed Aug 23, 2017 2:35 pm

Comments received on the 'review for approval' were all positive. The final should be done by month end.

Rick Lang

Adam Langdon

PostTue Aug 29, 2017 12:54 am

well, it's finally here! in 4K glory....
(i also wrote and recorded the soundtrack)
Ursa Mini 12k +Rawlite - Cinema Camera 6k - SLR Magic APO Microprimes PL/EF - Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 G2 - Aputure Lighting

rick.lang

PostTue Aug 29, 2017 4:07 am

Lovely results, Adam. Lots of work, but I'm sure you're proud of this.

Rick Lang

Adam Langdon

PostTue Aug 29, 2017 12:40 pm

thanks, Rick!
Ursa Mini 12k +Rawlite - Cinema Camera 6k - SLR Magic APO Microprimes PL/EF - Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 G2 - Aputure Lighting

Gene Kochanowsky

PostTue Aug 29, 2017 4:15 pm

Adam Langdon wrote:well, it's finally here! in 4K glory....
(i also wrote and recorded the soundtrack)

Nice work Adam, very cool that you wrote and recorded the soundtrack as well.

Leon Benzakein

PostTue Aug 29, 2017 7:21 pm

Adam
I felt the use of VO was very smart and told the story well.
The images were beautiful.

Well put together. Touching.

Watching all these wedding videos, I feel guilty peeping into stranger's private moments.

Do they actually give permission for this to be seen by strangers?
Television: Lighting/Cameraman, O.B. Camera Operator, Experience in EFP, EPG and ENG , Grip, Lamp Operator
Film: Grip, Lamp Operator
Theater: Lighting Designer, Light board Operator, Stage Electrician, Stage Management

Leon Benzakein

PostTue Aug 29, 2017 7:58 pm

What is the magic formula?

Some wedding videos draw me in and tug at the heartstrings while others make me feel that they just record the event and request no emotional involvement.

These videos tell a lot about the community that the participants exist in.
Some make me curious about the community, others make me question the lack of diversity.

Just some ramblings from a fan of storytellers and dream merchants.
Television: Lighting/Cameraman, O.B. Camera Operator, Experience in EFP, EPG and ENG , Grip, Lamp Operator
Film: Grip, Lamp Operator
Theater: Lighting Designer, Light board Operator, Stage Electrician, Stage Management
Previous

Return to Cinematography