SSD card problem.

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Pierson Kaprelli

SSD card problem.

PostSat Jul 22, 2017 5:20 pm

I have the Sandisk Extreme 480Gb Pro, but after about five or ten minutes of recording, I'll either get a 'No SSD' or a flashing red exclamation mark. The SSD Card is brand new, and I used to use the Sandisk 120GB, but I upgraded after getting the same problems.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can come up with a solution.

Carsten Sellberg

Re: SSD card problem.

PostMon Jul 24, 2017 8:56 am

Hi.

I am using Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD and don't see your problem on my URSA Mini 4.6K.

If you have a URSA Mini: What kind of CFast to SATA cable do you use. I am using one from a eBay seller from Italy.
He claim, that he is using thinner cable, so it will be possible to nearly close the fold out display.
Have you tried to move it to the other CFast slot?

If you have a URSA Mini: Some CFast adapters come with a SATA connector others with an eSATA connector. But what kind of 2.5" external case do you use?
And are you sure it make the connection with SATA 3 speeds which is 6 Gbs. Very few do.
And how do you power it?

Have you tried to record at lower bit rates?
I don't know if you use RAW or ProRes. But I would try a lower bit rate, just to make sure if it is related to the bit rate or if it disconnect completely.

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

Pierson Kaprelli

PostTue Jul 25, 2017 3:03 am

Thanks for the advice. I probably should've mentioned that I'm shooting on a BMCC 2.5K. I am shooting in ProRes 422, and is it possible to lower the bitrate on it?

Carsten Sellberg

PostTue Jul 25, 2017 4:19 am

Hi.

I don't know the BMCC 2.5K, but I found a manual at

http://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/C ... Manual.pdf

On page 12 and 13 I see the supported SSD. Make sure your SSD is on the list.

I don't know which SSD format you use. But you can try to format the SSD in the other format ( HFS+ or exFAT ). But then you lose everything you have on the SSD.

My idea to lower the bitrate is done by changing the recording format. May be from ProRes 422 to ProRes 422 LT. Or have you tried RAW 3:1?

You can also try to lower the resolution if you use 50/60 fps, can you maybe change it to 25/30 fps.
This will also reduce the requered bandwith to the SSD.

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

Pierson Kaprelli

PostThu Aug 03, 2017 11:03 pm

My SSD is on the list, and I've tried formatting it in both HFS+ and exFat, but I'm still getting the same problem. I've even tried filming in many different settings including changing the frame rate- still no luck. Thanks for the advice anyways though!

rick.lang

PostFri Aug 04, 2017 2:51 pm

It's tempting to say your card is faulty, but it's a new card replacing a card that was faulty. I hope someone with the BMCC has some sage advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Pierson Kaprelli

PostWed Aug 30, 2017 7:00 pm

bump. Anyone else got any sort of solution?

chris.white

PostWed Aug 30, 2017 7:37 pm

Pierson Kaprelli wrote:bump. Anyone else got any sort of solution?

Hmmm... In the few years I owned/used the BMCC2.5, I never experienced this problem using the Samsung 850 Pro SSDs (which I used quite a bit). I'll assume both of these answers will be "yes" but just to make sure... is the cam updated to the latest firmware and you're formatting the SSD in camera?
---
c

Return to Cinematography