URSA Mini 4.6k - Small HD DP7 Pro SDI Issues

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Jordan Wright

URSA Mini 4.6k - Small HD DP7 Pro SDI Issues

PostSat Jul 22, 2017 5:57 pm

Hello,

I recently replaced my Blackmagic Video Assist monitor with Small HD's DP7 Pro. It's not something I really wanted to do as I love the build quality and screen resolution of the BMVA. Unfortunately, the image capture and overlay feature of the DP7 became a critically decisive factor in choosing that monitor - it's just so darn useful for lining up shots if you have had a break in between shoots, for visual effects work and assessing continuity between shots. I have requested that as a feature option on the BMVA but never had a reply, maybe it's just not that useful of a feature for most - who knows.

I have however run into an issue. The DP7 displays perfectly for 4K / 4.6kframe rates 23.97, 24, 29.97, 30- however when I switch to 50 or 60fps ( or any other off speed frame rate ) the DP7 reports "No SDI Signal".

Has anyone else encountered this issue?

I have found a sort of workaround on the URSA MINI which is the setting for frame rate that says "60/30FPS" - but I have not been able to find in the manual for the URSA what this setting actually is and what kind of footage results from it. It appears to have the slow motion playback feel of 60FPS footage while actually only being 30FPS. Anyone know a little more about this setting?

Thank you for your help!

-Jordan

Jerone Hunter

Re: URSA Mini 4.6k - Small HD DP7 Pro SDI Issues

PostFri Dec 15, 2017 12:49 pm

Jordan Wright wrote:Hello,

I recently replaced my Blackmagic Video Assist monitor with Small HD's DP7 Pro. It's not something I really wanted to do as I love the build quality and screen resolution of the BMVA. Unfortunately, the image capture and overlay feature of the DP7 became a critically decisive factor in choosing that monitor - it's just so darn useful for lining up shots if you have had a break in between shoots, for visual effects work and assessing continuity between shots. I have requested that as a feature option on the BMVA but never had a reply, maybe it's just not that useful of a feature for most - who knows.

I have however run into an issue. The DP7 displays perfectly for 4K / 4.6kframe rates 23.97, 24, 29.97, 30- however when I switch to 50 or 60fps ( or any other off speed frame rate ) the DP7 reports "No SDI Signal".

Has anyone else encountered this issue?

I have found a sort of workaround on the URSA MINI which is the setting for frame rate that says "60/30FPS" - but I have not been able to find in the manual for the URSA what this setting actually is and what kind of footage results from it. It appears to have the slow motion playback feel of 60FPS footage while actually only being 30FPS. Anyone know a little more about this setting?

Thank you for your help!

-Jordan
We're you able to figure out a work around or is 60FPS on the DP7 Pro not supported? I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on one this week.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Denny Smith

PostFri Dec 15, 2017 7:00 pm

Try connecting the monitor to the front HD SDI output. It appears, the DP7does not support frsmerstes over 30fps in UHD or 4K mode.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Jerone Hunter

PostSat Dec 16, 2017 7:34 pm

I just came across this website:

https://indigolive.com/gear/broadcast-m ... -oled.html

this would make me assume if I set my sdi settings on my UM4.6K to 1080p and use an SDI to HDMI convertor it would work. Am I wrong?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Denny Smith

PostTue Dec 19, 2017 2:39 am

Depending on the Converter, it should work. The DP7 tops out at 1080p30 on its SDI inout, but goes unto 1080p60 with HDMI. No UHD/4K Support however.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography