Blackmagic Camera question

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Jalal Pleasant

Blackmagic Camera question

PostTue Jul 25, 2017 2:41 am

I am not certain if this is the correct section to post about my concerns. I have two questions to ask.

I have reviewed the most recent update to the Blackmagic Designs site. I have taken notice that the Blackmagic Cinema and Production Camera 4K products have been removed. Have the BMPC4K & BMCC series been discontinued? If so shall the BMPC4K and BMCC continue to receive firmware updates and support for hardware issues in the future? If so, for how long shall Blackmagic support these devices?

Frank McCright

Re: Blackmagic Camera question

PostSat Jul 29, 2017 2:38 am

I came back to this thread to see if there might be any responses, but alas, there are none.

I too am wondering about the next version of the Cinema Camera or if there will even will be one. I currently use two 2.5K Cinema Cameras, but I'm going to 4K in the next year. You can still purchase the 4K Production Cameras, but I am wondering if Blackmagic is going to come out with a new version with more FPS options.

Hope we get some news soon.

-F.
-Frank

www.yogomi.com
www.pressnine.com
www.fbm4.com
www.stellarmusic.com

Andrew Bell

PostSat Jul 29, 2017 12:59 pm

I believe BM had droped away any modification for BMPC and BMCC cameras.
Last fw update is just a bit of a joke. I believe URSA had droped too.
They focused on new Mini series now.
So if you want to get 4K with more fps URSA "Mini" 4K is a way to go ;)
Blackmagic Production 4K Camera
https://www.youtube.com/user/reklama4demo

Xtreemtec

PostSat Jul 29, 2017 2:26 pm

And about waranty.. It will have the said waranty from date of purchase at the official dealer. But buy a second hand and your waranty is no longer valid or you need the original purchase papers and it must still have waranty..

But if your camera breaks outside of the waranty periode you have a nice piece of camera for in your glass cabinet as repair is often not possible with BMD.. And yes since they already have more then 4 different models after the Production Camera 4k it is not likely you will see any firmware update for this model anymore.. :roll:

All new firmware is targeted on the last models and the old models are left unsupported for the newer functions. Most new functions are hardware related which the old hardware can not support..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Nick Gombinsky

PostThu Aug 03, 2017 4:15 pm

Frank McCright wrote:You can still purchase the 4K Production Cameras, but I am wondering if Blackmagic is going to come out with a new version with more FPS options.

They have, its the Ursa Mini 4K.

The BMCC and the BMPC have all the features BM has promised, and all the problems they had in the beginning have gone away. There is no need for newer firmwares for them.

Frank McCright

PostSun Aug 06, 2017 2:12 pm

Nick Gombinsky wrote:
Frank McCright wrote:You can still purchase the 4K Production Cameras, but I am wondering if Blackmagic is going to come out with a new version with more FPS options.

They have, its the Ursa Mini 4K.

The BMCC and the BMPC have all the features BM has promised, and all the problems they had in the beginning have gone away. There is no need for newer firmwares for them.

I'm very aware of the Ursa Mini 4K as an option. However, going from the original post, I'm not looking for new updates or firmware. I was hoping they would come out with a new camera/product that is the same or close to the size of the BMCC with more fps options. For my use, having cameras that size makes them very flexible, quick, and easy to use in certain situations. Also, being able to go handheld without a rig or tripod and still have a built in monitor is very handy.
-Frank

www.yogomi.com
www.pressnine.com
www.fbm4.com
www.stellarmusic.com

Return to Cinematography