BMD silence on new cameras... making me hold

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Giordano Lu

BMD silence on new cameras... making me hold

PostFri Jul 28, 2017 2:06 am

Just curious about the community opinion on this. I'm willing to go for a UM Pro. I have a UM 4k , love it (despite of the problems, less DR and so on), but the fact the BMD is so silent about the next hit makes me think that something big might be coming. Looking at the past, it's clear to me that BMD is the "Tesla" of the camera market. They always surprise us with cost/benefit killer products.
So I'm getting myself constantly fighting the impulse to have a better DR camera now, or wait a little for something like... say... a "finally-a-RED-competitor" in 2018 ?

thanks for your thoughts...
I7 7700K, 32G, 16T, GTX1070 | NVIDIA 385.28 | DR 14.1 | MiniMonitor 4K | DesktopVideo 10.9.7 | Windows 10

FrankApollonio

Re: BMD silence on new cameras... making me hold

PostFri Jul 28, 2017 2:25 am

might be another year before a new camera is out. I think ursa mini 4.6k sensor is pretty great, being able to shoot prores 444xq is amazing. only thing i want in new camera is a better build quality. maybe carbon fiber like everyone else. higher frame rates more DR and better color science. no more rez please. I think it looks better than red, I think its more on par with alexa image.

rick.lang

PostFri Jul 28, 2017 5:11 am

Orange is the new Red.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Robert Niessner

PostFri Jul 28, 2017 9:28 am

I don't see the need for a RED competitor in 2018 because the UM46k is already a strong competitor image quality wise.

My guess is that BMD will build on the URSA Mini and its sensor and will improve that design further.
For a hypothetical UMP MKII I could realistically see a further improved sensor with maybe 6 dB less noise, an option to do in-camera NR, higher frame rates like 120fps in full raster and 240fps windowed, slightly improved DR of ~ +1 stop, improved calibration methods, an improved debayering algorithm with better anti-aliasing and moire suppression. I could imagine a slightly redesigned camera body with the bigger LCD of the UM46k, with more brightness for better in the sunshine readability, some tweaks for buttons and switches alignment, a function wise more useful side handle grip, maybe additional support for the next generation of CFast: CFexpress (v1.0 ... 1970 MB/s up to 7880 MB/s). Maybe a bigger internal buffer for a few seconds of pre-cache-recording and a few seconds of highspeed fps in burst mode. They are certainly trying to get global shutter working with the next gen - but who knows.

And of course some further refining of the camera firmware.

That would be my prediction for their next camera. I don't see them working on a 8k version yet as that wouldn't make much sense at the moment (in my opinion). That could be in the MKIII then.

Of course Grant Petty and his team might have some crazy ideas in petto I am not even dreaming about :D
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Xtreemtec

PostFri Jul 28, 2017 1:23 pm

There will be always a new camera arround the corner as long as BMD will persue the craft of camera making.. ;) But keep in mind that even when anounced a new camera.. (There are only 2 times a year they anounce big stuff.. ( NAB(April) and IBC(September) )
With the Pro just came with NAB. it is not likely they will trow a completely new 10x better camera at IBC.. First they need to sell a lot of PRO units.. Before bringing out a new model as a new model will put down sales of the older model.. ;)

So expect no new BIG camera before NAB. And maybe even at NAB in 2 years.. Maybe some smaller studio cam or so.. PTZ maybe? :roll:

And even when announced there will be still a waiting time of weeks to months before you have it on your table at the office. Because first they have to produce a big batch. But then the demand on the cameras is that big that they run out of stock and sales are on hold as there is no unit shipped.. So don't bet on the next new thing.. As there will be always a next new camera around the corner.. But i have the feeling this will at least take another year before release!! So buy now while you need it and can put it to use and rent it out.. Because the next one can take a long time before it will be released! ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Cinematography