Video Assist Brightness as Nits or cd/m² ?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Emilian Dechev

Video Assist Brightness as Nits or cd/m² ?

PostFri Jul 28, 2017 3:11 pm

Anyone knows exactly what is the brightness of a Blackmagic Video Assist monitor, measured in Nits or cd/m² ?

Since I am mostly shooting exteriors, seeing the monitor is a major issue for my productions. Sun hoods help to some degree, but gemerally the BM Video Assist seems a bit dark to me.

I have looked all over Google looking for that information. It seems ridiculous for that to not be disclosed. Any other manufacturer has that info for their monitors.

In one forum, I happened to find, that the BM Video Assist has 350 cd/m². Well that seems a bit low.

The new "Aputure VS-5X" is now listed as 450 cd/m² and has all of the same functions at a lower price.

John Brawley

Re: Video Assist Brightness as Nits or cd/m² ?

PostFri Jul 28, 2017 3:40 pm

Emilian Dechev wrote:Anyone knows exactly what is the brightness of a Blackmagic Video Assist monitor, measured in Nits or cd/m² ?

Since I am mostly shooting exteriors, seeing the monitor is a major issue for my productions. Sun hoods help to some degree, but gemerally the BM Video Assist seems a bit dark to me.

I have looked all over Google looking for that information. It seems ridiculous for that to not be disclosed. Any other manufacturer has that info for their monitors.

In one forum, I happened to find, that the BM Video Assist has 350 cd/m². Well that seems a bit low.

The new "Aputure VS-5X" is now listed as 450 cd/m² and has all of the same functions at a lower price.

I don't know what the NITS rating is.

I do know that I've used it successfully in bright (and I mean Australian bright) outdoor conditions and it does pretty well.

If you think it's dark, then I don't think an extra 100 nits (if that's what it is) will do much.

You should be looking at monitors around the 1000 nit range to really see a differnce outdoors.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Emilian Dechev

PostFri Jul 28, 2017 4:13 pm

Yes I see your point, a 1000 nits monitor will be the best bet.

Anyway, I will be glad if someone from BM shares the secret number ;)

silvio bonomi

PostFri Jul 28, 2017 4:26 pm

Robert Niessner

PostFri Jul 28, 2017 7:50 pm

Emilian, have a look here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=60184&p=344405#p344405

I posted a picture of my UM46k LCD at 100% in sunlight and the Shogun Inferno with 1500 nits at full brightness. I guess the VA has similar brightness to the UM46k LCD.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Emilian Dechev

PostFri Jul 28, 2017 10:33 pm

Robert, thanks for the comparison!

Will compare the BMVA 7" with the UM46 monitor tomorrow :)

Dustin Svehlak

PostFri Jul 28, 2017 10:49 pm

I work in a rental house and own a BMVA 4K. Our SmallHD 702 high bright is out until next week but I can do a comparison if anyone needs.
www.voltaicvideo.com
www.vimeo.com/voltaicvideo

Emilian Dechev

PostSat Jul 29, 2017 12:33 pm

Here are some results on "BMVA4K vs UM46:

1:
First, I made sure both monitors have the same angle towards the sun and towards the photo camera.

Full res photo here:
http://www.newactorsstudio.com/storage/ ... UM46_1.jpg

2:
Here I made a quick comparison at 100% brightness on both. Contrast on BMVA at 50%.
Scene exposure was right, just slightly over-exposed. Mostly bright, with some darker areas, white wall, sky and clouds. So, both monitors have almost identical brightness, but I think the UM46 was slightly easier to see.

Full res photo here:
http://www.newactorsstudio.com/storage/ ... UM46_2.jpg

3:
Then I made a "zoomed in" comparison, in an area, that was slightly over-exposed. It revealed, that the BMVA 4K has less dynamic range, than the UM46 monitor. As you can see, the edge detail on the white wall is lost on the BMVA, while still visible on the UM46. Also you can see that difference in the sky / clouds area.

Full res photo here:
http://www.newactorsstudio.com/storage/ ... UM46_3.jpg

P.S.
and the BMVA seems a bit greener.
Last edited by Emilian Dechev on Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Andrew Bell

PostSat Jul 29, 2017 12:52 pm

Thats a shame really for BM not to provide such important information about external monitor.
But I am not surprised with BM politics.

You can measure it yourself with any display calibration device.
Blackmagic Production 4K Camera
https://www.youtube.com/user/reklama4demo

rick.lang

PostSat Jul 29, 2017 2:53 pm

Thanks for your efforts here, Emilian. It's so rare to see real untouched photos of any monitor manufacturers' monitors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Raymond_Linares

PostTue Feb 26, 2019 5:16 pm

Was looking through the tech specs online as well to get a brightness / nit output on the monitor and was pretty shocked BMD hasn't made that information public on the site. Pretty important info to include I think...

Currently looking at a few monitors to get for my pocket cam 4k. The Video Assist and the Shinobi are on the short list. I like that the Video assist has HDMI in and Out but like that the Shinobi has a 1000 nit display.

Has anyone been able to do a calibration reading to lock in the nit rating at full brightness?

Hope all and everyone is well.
Founder / Filmmaker / Cinematographer
BES Films
instagram.com/raymondlinaresdp

Denny Smith

PostTue Feb 26, 2019 11:17 pm

I went with the new SmallHD Focus OLED, which has the display latitude and brightness required for the job. Why add a monitor that is less capable than the one the camera already has.

It seems mist BM camera monitors and the VAs (the new Pocket 4K comes closest to being more accurate, with the UM 4.6 second) do not have very accurate displays. None of them are actually calibrated or have the ability to accurately calibrate them. The BM EVF is an exception, as is excellent, being an OLED display, it has the needed resolution to judge exposure.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography