BMMCC Battery Issue

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Gregg Guzman

BMMCC Battery Issue

PostFri Jul 28, 2017 4:52 pm

Hello - new to the forum.

I just got a Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera and I noticed that when I put fully charged batteries on it the battery indicator will show the battery anywhere from 69% to 76%. Any idea why not 100%? Any issues with this? I can't find anyone else complaining about this.

I'm using my Canon and Watson charger to charge the batteris

Stu Aitken

Re: BMMCC Battery Issue

PostFri Jul 28, 2017 5:30 pm

probably because they are not genuine canon batteries

most of the cheaper substitutes don't use particularly high quality cells that tend not to reach the full 4.2v the good ones do when fully charged

the cameras battery indicator is just a measure of voltage - fully charged cells should be 4.2v (2 of them in series gives 8.4v to the camera) discharging to around 3.2v (*2 = 6.4v) when fully discharged (though you should never let them drop that far as that's when they get dangerous)

from reports though the camera really can't use anything much under 7.2v so the micro will also not utilize all of the batteries potential at the lower end either

the big difference between genuine batteries and knock offs is the quality of the cells inside and their ability to hold voltage over the power cycle - you can mostly ignore the mah ratings given as they are mostly a load of rubbish on the knock offs

Gregg Guzman

PostFri Jul 28, 2017 6:44 pm

Thanks Stu!

Anatoly Mashanov

PostSat Jul 29, 2017 10:05 am

I have NOT seen any Li battery that could not be charged to the nominal 4.2 volts. But I have seen lots of batteries that have about 10% of nominal capacity as well as lots of other similar goods that have the same country of origin.

I'd recommend using some drone charger to charge the suspicious battery, then discharge it and measure it's capacity in the process. I don't think the scandal with the battery supplier could help but at least you could publish the specific model so that others could avoid it.

Tommaso Alvisi

PostSat Jul 29, 2017 10:29 am

I have to say that the indicator is SO precise when using Canon genuine batteries that I really think BMD is reading the info chip data about charge level inside them...it's unbelievably precise down to 1%.

It's simply a night and day difference in estimating levels between genuine and knock offs.

Genuine ones are actually the smarter investment and the LOWER overall cost since they hold resale value and have a MUCH MUCH LONGER lifespan (I'm using to basically their full potential even LP-E6 batteries I bought in 2009!)

All of this to be summed to being also better in use (more life, less self-discharge, less generated heat, etc etc!).

Stu Aitken

PostSat Jul 29, 2017 1:18 pm

Tommaso Alvisi wrote:I have to say that the indicator is SO precise when using Canon genuine batteries that I really think BMD is reading the info chip data about charge level inside them...it's unbelievably precise down to 1%.

It's simply a night and day difference in estimating levels between genuine and knock offs.

Genuine ones are actually the smarter investment and the LOWER overall cost since they hold resale value and have a MUCH MUCH LONGER lifespan (I'm using to basically their full potential even LP-E6 batteries I bought in 2009!)

All of this to be summed to being also better in use (more life, less self-discharge, less generated heat, etc etc!).

all that chip is doing is reading the voltage anyway BTW :)

Denny Smith

PostSat Jul 29, 2017 5:20 pm

I get much better results with a real Canon battery too. Also, they hold the charge when not in use longer also. Small HD EP batteries also work nicely.

Anton/Bauer now makes NP-F774 (and F776) 7.2V, 4400mAh L-Series Li-Ion Battery, ($50-60) which you can use via the LP/NP sled adapter. Perhaps AB will come out with a good LP-E6 battery? :roll:

Has anyone tried the new LP-E6N battery with the Micro camera? It has a slightly larger capacity at 1865mAh
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Stu Aitken

PostSun Jul 30, 2017 11:50 am

if they ever make another micro I hope they move to a sony L style native battery slot - makes more sense as they have higher capacities and you can choose between small (the smaller NPF330 is not much bigger than a canon lpe6) and larger to suit your purpose

I noticed smallHD have gone this route on the newer focus monitor as well

for nominal 7.2v systems sony L is probably the best option around

Julian Dahl

PostSat Oct 07, 2017 9:23 pm

Please enlighten me, the "Canon" battery included with the camera is not an original, therefore the original Canon charger wont charge it, so how do i charge that battery then?
Mac Pro 7.1 48GB, RX5700 8GB, 12c, OSX 10.15.7

Ryan Payne

PostSun Oct 08, 2017 12:53 am

Tommaso Alvisi wrote:I have to say that the indicator is SO precise when using Canon genuine batteries that I really think BMD is reading the info chip data about charge level inside them...it's unbelievably precise down to 1%.

I'd say the reason for this precision is that the BMMCC has some sort of shut off when it gets to a certain lower voltage. So the camera simply counts down to that rather than when the battery is completely drained.

I had a battery drain and simply swapped the lpe6 from my smallhd dp4 and the drained one from the bmmcc. Got an extra 20% on the camera and the drained battery in the smallhd out lasted the bmmcc.

Denny Smith

PostSun Oct 08, 2017 5:26 pm

Yes, the monitor draws less current, so it can take the battery down to,around 7 volts before shutting down. The BMCC needs a minimum 7.2VDC to maintain the required current requirement, somit shuts down sooner at a higher remaining voltage. Yes I also,found real Canon batteries out last the third party ones.

Julian, you need to get a generic third party battery charger for the BM Battery. I use the one that came with my Small HD monitor. I have an extra third party chargermyou can have for $10 if this helps.
Canon charger will only charge LP-E6 batteries with the Canon chipset in them (real Canon E6 Battery).
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography