Best camera on the go

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Gregg Guzman

Best camera on the go

PostSat Jul 29, 2017 4:40 pm

I recently got the blackmagic micro cinema camera. I love the raw footage and freedom I have in color grading. I have a canon 80d that I love, but I wanted something that would get me a cinematic footage for documentaries or shorts. I also wanted it for for traveling videos.

One thing I did not anticipate is how much of a pain it would be to have to lug a monitor around with me everywhere I go. And the cage weighs it down too - together the camera is not light. I was hoping it would be an easy camera to take with me on vacations and trips. Also the meta bones speed adapter I bought won't always play nice with my canon lenses, aperture is not adjustable until I fiddle with settings.

Anyway, I'm thinking of exchanging it for a different blackmagic camera that I can travel with easier and get that filmic look.

It's between the Pocket Cinema or the 2.5k Cinema camera. I like both because they have built in monitors, like a DSLR. If I get the pocket cinema I'll just use micro four thirds lenses. If I get the 2.5k I'll buy the EF mount version.

So, what kits do you all use for traveling footage? I'd love your suggestions and input on putting together a better kit.

Denny Smith

Re: Best camera on the go

PostSat Jul 29, 2017 5:06 pm

The BMCC 2.5 is not that small, and needs to be rigged, batteries etc all, so not a good candidate for a "traveleing camera". I use a small EVF, like the Cineroid or Zacuto EVF Pro (original model) both are compact and light. While,thenPocket has a built in monitor, you need to get right behind it to see anything, and it is very low resolution, OK for framing a shot, but not for focus. So an external monitor or EVF is still needed.

Which cage are you using? The Micro cage by Wooden Camera is small and light, does not add any really weight, and a little mass, that helps to hold the camera. Several Micros have been rigged with the BM Ursa Mini handle (available from B&H) and a small EVF for nice handheld shooting like the Canon XC series camera setup. Also the new SmallHD Focus 5-inch monitor is fairly compact, and can be mounted to the top (folded down keeps it tight) or on the of back of a camera cage. Look at past rigged Micro camera threads here.

You are not going to be hard pressed to find a more compact camera set up, except for the Pocket camera, which comes with a different set of issues to overcome.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Dmytro Shijan

PostSat Jul 29, 2017 7:39 pm

How about just build a proper BMMCC rig?

S.Bus, PWM, LANC controllers database viewtopic.php?f=2&t=59874

BMMCC_rig3.jpg
BMMCC_rig3.jpg (64.83 KiB) Viewed 1989 times

BMMCC_rig2.jpg
BMMCC_rig2.jpg (73.22 KiB) Viewed 1989 times

BMMCC_rig1.jpg
BMMCC_rig1.jpg (83.31 KiB) Viewed 1989 times
BMMCC/BMMSC Rigs Collection https://bmmccrigs.tumblr.com
My custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

Dustin Svehlak

PostSat Jul 29, 2017 11:05 pm

Probably an unpopular opinion but here goes- keep the Canon 80D, shoot in the All-I format, and buy / use the C-Log picture style from eosHD.com.

I owned a BMPCC for years and while I loved it, the battery life was pathetic, necessitating an external solution. Yes, it probably has a more cinematic look but I've been able to pull off some great stuff with the EOSHD C-Log on my 80D and the battery life is insane- close to two hours on one internal battery. Plus, I don't have to use an adapter to use EF lenses.

And yes, there's nothing portable about the BMCC. Don't get me wrong, BMCC or BMPCC (and I assume the BMMCC) are spectacular. But for documentary style, run and gun, I don't think they're a good solution.

One other suggestion since 4K doesn't seem to be an issue- you can get the first gen C100 or C300 for super cheap right now.
www.voltaicvideo.com
www.vimeo.com/voltaicvideo

Stephen Press

PostSat Jul 29, 2017 11:48 pm

Best camera for on the go is the URSA Mini Pro.

So good it rhymes.
"A cameraman with out a camera is just a man"

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSun Jul 30, 2017 6:30 am

Denny Smith wrote:The BMCC 2.5 is not that small, and needs to be rigged, batteries etc all, so not a good candidate for a "traveleing camera". I use a small EVF, like the Cineroid or Zacuto EVF Pro (original model) both are compact and light. While,thenPocket has a built in monitor, you need to get right behind it to see anything, and it is very low resolution, OK for framing a shot, but not for focus. So an external monitor or EVF is still needed. ...

+1

To the OP: Seriously consider using an EVF instead of a monitor!

-

Ellory Yu

PostSun Jul 30, 2017 6:53 am

I usually take the BMPCC with a couple of lenses, filters, and a few batteries when I travel. It gives me the luxury of shooting in Prores and RAW so I have the flexibility in post. The battery are a hassle and rigging it to carry larger batts just defeat the purpose. Lately, I've been taking the Panasonic GH5 with the V-Log codec since it also gives me the 4K ability. The same lenses and filters I used for the BMPCC are the same ones I bring with me. Since the BMPCC is compact enough and I share the same lens, there are times when I bring both. So these cameras are best options and I think it will work best for your documentary needs. BTW, I forgot to mention that you'll need audio. To keep things compact, I just bring a handheld Tascam D05 or Zoom H6 - again depending on your need.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Return to Cinematography