F-Mount & SSD Recorder for UMP4.6

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

CaryJudd

F-Mount & SSD Recorder for UMP4.6

PostMon Jul 31, 2017 9:56 pm

Two big selling points for me on the Ursa Mini Pro 4.6k were the SSD recorder and the ability to mount my Nikon lenses (first cinema camera, coming from being Nikon/dslr shooter w/ tons of glass).

Every few weeks I search and search for any sort of update on either of these happening and I've yet to see a release date for either. When I chatted with the BMD reps at NAB in Vegas this last April, I was told mid-July, but still no official word as far as I can tell.

I'm not mad, just super excited to extend what I can do with this camera. I held off on buying cFast cards to save my pennies for the SSD recorder, so in the meantime I'm using SD cards that seem to drop frames at 422 ProRes and above (yes they're the BMD approved Lexar SD cards).

Anyone? Bueller?

John Simpson

Re: F-Mount & SSD Recorder for UMP4.6

PostTue Aug 01, 2017 3:51 am

The Nikon mount will be a much needed blessing for Nikon shooters I'm sure :) Shipping dates are another matter entirely... very hard to know when they will ship... my guess is somewhere between now and Christmas, least I would't be too concerned till then...

With the SSD recorder be aware its recording output from the SDI port so not 4.6k and not RAW (AFAIK) and that Cfast is quite cheap now and very comparable with SSD+recorder cost wise. I guess you have to weigh up what you loose for what you gain... if you shoot mainly UHD/FHD and Prores then clearly its a nobrainer but I personally don't see it as an alternative more an addition... its just a 4kva without a screen.
JJ Simpson
Photographer
Brisbane Australia

CaryJudd

PostTue Aug 01, 2017 1:10 pm

Ah, thanks for the info. I hadn't realized that the SSD had that limitation. Looks like I'll be investing in CFast cards & remaining patient in the F-Mount front :)

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Aug 01, 2017 7:38 pm

John Simpson wrote:With the SSD recorder be aware its recording output from the SDI port so not 4.6k and not RAW (AFAIK)

That is not correct. That's not how the SDD Recorder works at all.

It does use the SDI in and SDI out as a data link so you can record ProRes or RAW and you have the same resolution options as the camera. It is not intended for simultaneous record... Video Assist can already do that. It is an extra media option and means you can use larger SSD's and better cost per GB if you want to.

Both will be out very soon.

Ben Mart

PostTue Aug 01, 2017 8:09 pm

Tim Schumann wrote:
John Simpson wrote:With the SSD recorder be aware its recording output from the SDI port so not 4.6k and not RAW (AFAIK)

It does use the SDI in and SDI out as a data link so you can record ProRes or RAW and you have the same resolution options as the camera. It is not intended for simultaneous record... Video Assist can already do that. It is an extra media option and means you can use larger SSD's and better cost per GB if you want to.

Please excuse the slight deviation, Tim will the ursa (major) and the ursa mini (4k & 4.6k) be able to take advantage of the sdd recorder...sorry if this has been all ready answered I must've missed it. Thanks in advance. Ta

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

John Simpson

PostThu Aug 03, 2017 2:44 am

Tim Schumann wrote:

Tim, thanks for correcting me :) It will be a fantastic option then, can you confirm if it will be available for Ursa Mini, 4.6k and 4.6k Pro... or just the 4.6k Pro?
JJ Simpson
Photographer
Brisbane Australia

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Aug 03, 2017 9:54 am

URSA Mini Pro at launch. Hoping to support the other Mini's in a firmware update in the coming months.

Theofanis Kavvadas

PostFri Aug 04, 2017 2:45 pm

Any update for the release date of Nikon F-mount?
i9-9900K, 32GB, RTX2070
UMP G1 + P4K

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Aug 04, 2017 6:46 pm

Theofanis Kavvadas wrote:Any update for the release date of Nikon F-mount?

This is from his post 3 days ago
Tim Schumann wrote:Both will be out very soon.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

deanharrington

PostMon Aug 07, 2017 10:15 pm

caryjudd wrote:Two big selling points for me on the Ursa Mini Pro 4.6k were the SSD recorder and the ability to mount my Nikon lenses (first cinema camera, coming from being Nikon/dslr shooter w/ tons of glass).

Every few weeks I search and search for any sort of update on either of these happening and I've yet to see a release date for either. When I chatted with the BMD reps at NAB in Vegas this last April, I was told mid-July, but still no official word as far as I can tell.

I'm not mad, just super excited to extend what I can do with this camera. I held off on buying cFast cards to save my pennies for the SSD recorder, so in the meantime I'm using SD cards that seem to drop frames at 422 ProRes and above (yes they're the BMD approved Lexar SD cards).

Anyone? Bueller?

I'm also waiting for this recorder to be released. It's a no-brainer to get this SSD recorder in your kit. What is going on Black Magic? :cry:

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Aug 09, 2017 8:27 pm

Cassius Corrigan

PostMon Aug 14, 2017 5:58 pm

Tim Schumann wrote:

Hey Tim! Thanks for updating us. Do you anticipate it being released before October? Curious because I'll have a feature in production thereafter and want to know if we'll have to rely on another SSD solution.

Appreciate it!

rick.lang

PostWed Aug 16, 2017 6:26 pm

I can't speak for BMD, but Tim said he expects an August release of the F mount and I think he hopes to release the SSD solution then too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Cassius Corrigan

PostWed Aug 16, 2017 11:29 pm

Cool, thank you Rick.

Cassius Corrigan

PostTue Sep 05, 2017 3:42 am

Tim Schumann wrote:

Any updates on this?

Return to Cinematography