Scratches on BMPCC sensor glass

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Coralio Ballester

Scratches on BMPCC sensor glass

PostSun Aug 06, 2017 1:03 pm

Hi, I'm afraid I scratched the glass surface during cleaning. See picture. Do you know the cost of replacing this glass? Should I send it to Blackmagic Design? I live in Spain. Thanks a lot
bmpcc sensor glass sratches.jpg
bmpcc sensor glass sratches.jpg (832.2 KiB) Viewed 3299 times

Dustin Svehlak

Re: Scratches on BMPCC sensor glass

PostSun Aug 06, 2017 2:09 pm

I would have a camera repair shop, maybe even a cinema camera rental shop, take a look to see if 1) they're actually scratches or 2) if it can be cleaned they can probably do it for a fee.

Regardless, I would contact Blackmagic but I feel like this sort of thing has mainly resulted in a replaced camera. Best of luck.

PS- maybe not a bad idea to explain how this happened. If anything, someone else could benefit and avoid.
www.voltaicvideo.com
www.vimeo.com/voltaicvideo

John Brawley

PostSun Aug 06, 2017 2:32 pm

coralio1 wrote:Hi, I'm afraid I scratched the glass surface during cleaning. See picture. Do you know the cost of replacing this glass? Should I send it to Blackmagic Design? I live in Spain. Thanks a lot
bmpcc sensor glass sratches.jpg

If you only cleaned the sensor cover glass and not the actual sensor, it shouldn't be too difficult or expensive to replace.

Ask your local BMD service office.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Coralio Ballester

PostMon Aug 07, 2017 12:49 pm

Thanks a lot guys. Two things in order: 1) the solution and a worry, and 2) why this happened:

1) I contacted BM in my region (Europe -> UK). Very satisfactory communication. I will send the pocket for repair. If it is in fact scratches (it is 100%, they are obvious under a loupe), the cost should be 100€+tax+shipment. But they told me that they cannot guarantee that new particles will appear after glass replacement, they work in a clean environment and they will do their best. Is this worrying or is this the "usual" disclaimer?

2) Why did this happen? Completely stupid me. I tried to clean the sensor glass with one of those cheap cleaning kits used for lens. The cleaner was wet, but probably had something on it that scratched the surface. Lesson learnt.

Best,
Pablo

John Brawley

PostMon Aug 07, 2017 12:53 pm

coralio1 wrote:Thanks a lot guys. Two things in order: 1) the solution and a worry, and 2) why this happened:

1) I contacted BM in my region (Europe -> UK). Very satisfactory communication. I will send the pocket for repair. If it is in fact scratches (it is 100%, they are obvious under a loupe), the cost should be 100€+tax+shipment. But they told me that they cannot guarantee that new particles will appear after glass replacement, they work in a clean environment and they will do their best. Is this worrying or is this the "usual" disclaimer?

2) Why did this happen? Completely stupid me. I tried to clean the sensor glass with one of those cheap cleaning kits used for lens. The cleaner was wet, but probably had something on it that scratched the surface. Lesson learnt.

Best,
Pablo

There is a cover glass that goes over the sensor.

It's normally fitted in the factory in an extremely clean environment. I would guess that they are replacing this cover glass in a local service shop that doesn't have the same degree of environmental protection as the assembly plant. It's a clean environment, but maybe not as clean as where they assemble the sensors into the cameras. So they're saying there's a slight chance you can get dust landing on the new cover glass.

I'd say it's also very unlikely to happen.

I have had to change this cover glass before in the field in a not clean environment at all and it was fine. Just better to be doing it in as clean an environment as possible.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Coralio Ballester

PostMon Aug 07, 2017 12:57 pm

That's a relief. Thanks John

Dustin Svehlak

PostMon Aug 07, 2017 10:03 pm

coralio1 wrote:

Thank you for providing this information! I think it's valuable for others- the sensor glass on all cameras is very, excuse the term, sensitive and susceptible to marring. If a light squeeze of a blower rocket won't clear any debris and you don't have a wipe and cleanser specifically made for sensors, it's best to have it professionally cleaned
www.voltaicvideo.com
www.vimeo.com/voltaicvideo

Return to Cinematography