Micro cinema global shutter

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Ryan Payne

Micro cinema global shutter

PostSun Aug 13, 2017 4:52 am

Should we expect to ever see this revisited? At the moment the micro is a less polished pocket that can shoot 60p. Where are the revisions, the updates, the little extras that really push the camera and make it something special?

The pocket was extremely successful and went through many updates and revisions. I'm really hoping the micros lack of popularity won't hold back it's potential.

Even simply acknowledging it's faults such as fpn in shadows, cross hatching and offering insight on what's happening with it's development and what we can expect would go miles to ease my mind and I'm sure anyone else's mind who wanted a pocket that could shoot 60p or went for the micro expecting global shutter which couldn't be delivered. Things happen and sometimes it doesn't pan out but a BM response on the micros current situation is needed.

John Brawley

Re: Micro cinema global shutter

PostSun Aug 13, 2017 6:04 pm

I doubt you'll get a "response", there's a long history of that not happening.

They do however watch and listen on these forums, so make some noise about what you want to see done.

As I understand, it's very hard to "upgrade" to a global shutter on a camera once it's started shipping, it's essentially a new rev of the sensor itself, and that takes a long time to develop. There's a choice that get's make about how long it takes to develop and test for that one feature Vs getting it shipping. Each iteration might take a 3 months, and you have zero idea if the next one will work or not.

I would expect MAYBE and GUESSING that you could argue for a V2 of the Micro (and the Ursa mini for that matter) that maybe has this feature enabled, building on the current sensor. I think that would be the smart thing to do, to keep developing the existing sensor and making it better, adding features and improving the camera specs.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Denny Smith

PostMon Aug 14, 2017 12:16 am

John makes a good point, which I agree with. However, BM did attempt to implement a global shutter on the Micr Cinema and Ursa Mini 4.6, goth cameras were delayed several months, and finally, BM announced they dropped the GS, due to technical issues getting the IQ they were looking for. The GS was dropped on both cameras, and they started shipping them. So, I doubt we will see a GS on the current Micro Cinema camera. That said, the existing RS had a very fast readout on both cameras, faster tbstbthe Pocket or BMCC, RS readout times are:

URSA Mini 4.6k:
4.6k – 15.17ms
4k/2160p – 12.64ms
2k/1080p – 6.32ms
Micro Studio: 9.9ms
Micro Cinema: 13.3ms
Pocket: 17.74ms
BMCC: 23.62ms

Also, BM has stated no new cameras with less than 4K resolution, which rules out a ver. 2 of the Micro Cinema HD sensor. I wish John's approach was something BM would consider, but.... :roll:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

John Brawley

PostMon Aug 14, 2017 12:24 am

Denny Smith wrote:
Also, BM has stated no new cameras with less than 4K resolution, which rules out a ver. 2 of the Micro Cinema HD sensor. I wish John's approach was something BM would consider, but.... :roll:
Cheers

Or stick with the MFT sensor size version, go for the 2.6K BMCC size sensor in a refined pocket mark 2 with the extra features like GS and higher frame rates.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Ryan Payne

PostMon Aug 14, 2017 3:19 am

Ah then yeah If it would only be possible with updated sensors then GS is just not going to happen BUT that being said we need to get the Micro to the well rounded sensor quality of the pocket to at least make it a great raw 1080 60p camera. I would expect some sort of loyalty price if a V2 comes out considering they couldn't deliver the full feature set.

John Brawley

PostMon Aug 14, 2017 3:24 am

Ryan Payne wrote:Ah then yeah If it would only be possible with updated sensors then GS is just not going to happen BUT that being said we need to get the Micro to the well rounded sensor quality of the pocket to at least make it a great raw 1080 60p camera. I would expect some sort of loyalty price if a V2 comes out considering they couldn't deliver the full feature set.

Why would they do that ?

They announced it wouldn't have GS before they shipped a single unit.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

rick.lang

PostMon Aug 14, 2017 3:39 am

I was just talking to an owner of the BMCC, the first day it was available apparently. His company bought an URSA Mini 4K on his recommendation just to get that global shutter.

We knew the URSA Mini 4.6K and BMMCC would not ship with global shutter, but there are two features that will appeal to knowledgeable purchasers (and are not 4K) and I don't know if BMD should ignore them:
global shutter with HDR and
a professional grade raw camera that fits in a (large) pocket.

Put them both on the same device and they'll shatter their record sales of the original Pocket. Maybe it's a couple of years away, but everyone will seriously consider it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostMon Aug 14, 2017 4:33 pm

Rick and John, I love it when you talk this way... a upgraded 2.5K camera for HD work! Also MFT mount is a must for the smaller sensor size camera, to keep current MFT lenses like the Veydra Mini Primes, and PL mount (with PL/MFT adapter) Super 16 lenses.
I Just wish BM had not decided not to develop any more HD cameras. :roll:
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography