Ursa mini LANC port fix

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Rolands Briedis

Ursa mini LANC port fix

PostMon Aug 14, 2017 11:18 am

Hi guys, I got some unlucky accident recently. I put my Ursa mini into small, tight bag and in the result I got broken(loose) LANC input. I left LANC cable in the socket and it somehow bent, because of applied pressure. rear LANC port still works, but I am searching for option to fix it. Does anyone had the same experience?Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Florian Duning

Re: Ursa mini LANC port fix

PostMon Aug 14, 2017 12:57 pm

Hey,

if you are into some DIY stuff, then you could buy the socket and solder it in yourself. It is a small piece which costs only a few pennies. But of course this would mean that you should know what you are doing and are experienced in working with small electronic components.

Blackmagic themself will most likely replace the whole front SDI board. The part itself is around 100€ if I remember correctly plus 50-100€ for labour. So, a lot of money for a simple 5 cent 2,5mm socket.

best regards,
Florian

Denny Smith

PostMon Aug 14, 2017 4:21 pm

Is the actual socket damaged, or just the cable? If it is the latter, replacement cables are easy to come by.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Rolands Briedis

PostMon Aug 14, 2017 4:30 pm

The socket is damaged. To save time and money I am planning to give this Ursa mini to local camera repair centre. I want to order the socket by myself. Could You drop some link to the socket I need for replacement? Thanks!

Denny Smith

PostMon Aug 14, 2017 4:35 pm

Your local camera repair centre should have or be able to get the correct socket. Kind of hard to recommend a replacement but, with out seeing just how the original socket is fixed in the camera board, direct solder on mount or a bracket, or... ?
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Florian Duning

PostMon Aug 14, 2017 7:58 pm

These here fit. If they are not available anymore you at least know what to look for. :)
https://de.aliexpress.com/item/UXCELL-5 ... 0.0.XH4hlI

Rolands Briedis

PostTue Aug 15, 2017 5:42 am

Florian Duning wrote:These here fit. If they are not available anymore you at least know what to look for. :)
https://de.aliexpress.com/item/UXCELL-5 ... 0.0.XH4hlI

Thanks!!

PedroNevesCS

PostTue Sep 25, 2018 2:44 pm

I have the same problem. Did you manage how to fix it? Thank you

Denny Smith

PostTue Sep 25, 2018 4:51 pm

Really! The best fix, is prevention. ;)

Never put a camera in its case with plugs attached, including Lanc, EVF SDI/power, Main Outputs/inputs, etc. disconnect all cables before storing the camera. Yiu are not shooting the morning or evening news with them, so I would not rest them like an ENG camera, unless you have a specially designed case thst will accommodate the cables Without placing stress on them.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

northdesign

PostFri Nov 02, 2018 1:54 am

The port seems flimsy to me considering its vulnerable location. Especially since the cord is close to where your hand goes on and off the camera constantly.

The port was starting to get loose on my mini 4.6k and not trigger the camera consistently. If you take off the side cover plate (6 screws) you can easily disconnect the small ribbon cable that goes to the SDI board and lanc port. The side cover, SDI board / lanc port all come off easily as one unit. With it off and after closer inspection, I was able to put a glob of hot melt glue around the top of the port on the inside which reinforced the cheap plastic port and secured it. Still a little loose but my start stop is working consistently again.

I've seen guys in the drone world use this trick to reinforce and protect soldered wires on control boards etc. Might want to try this before forking over a bunch of cash.

Rolands Briedis

PostTue Dec 04, 2018 2:36 pm

So, I ordered these: https://de.aliexpress.com/item/UXCELL-5 ... 0.0.XH4hlI
and it all went to the problem that there is no connection between this ordered socket units and LANC cable. Although if I apply enough pressure with my finger, then it establishes a connection and I can click the record button on the handle. So it is not working.
Local repair centre said it might be because of poor quality replacement parts from China I ordered.
Do anybody has some idea how to fix this problem?
Actually, this is the second year I am trying to fix this problem, slowly, but I hope for a solution in the end. :cry:

James Harkness

PostSun Dec 09, 2018 7:07 pm

Thanks for directing me here. I wasn't even aware / forgot about the back LANC port! Better than nothing!

Curious if theres any other reason to use a LANC port besides the handle?

Dmytro Shijan

PostTue Jan 15, 2019 4:15 pm

TRS sockets use bended spring to hold connector in place. Try to disassemble camera and look for some small holes around the lanc socket body. take a needle or very tiny screwdriver, push and bend that spring back to normal position.
Long time ago i fixed computer sound card socket that lost connection in similar way.
Also clean and wipe socket connector pins with isopropyl alcohol. Low voltage contacts are very sensitive to dirt and fat.
BMMCC/BMMSC Rigs Collection https://bmmccrigs.tumblr.com
My custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

Rolands Briedis

PostThu Jan 17, 2019 11:28 am

Thanks! I will try to reinstal the sockets with Your helpfull notes. Fingers crossed, it will work!

Overlander

PostMon Nov 22, 2021 11:41 pm

Hi;

I am having the same issue on my Ursa G2- Clearly it is weak point. Did you find a solution? I am not sure where to find a replacement part and of course am reluctant to meddle too much.
Richard

Return to Cinematography