Universal mounted Blackmagic EVF?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

thomas bruegger

Universal mounted Blackmagic EVF?

PostWed Aug 16, 2017 2:54 pm

Is there a reason Blackmagic does not make their EVF with a universal Mount? I know there is that mod from wooden camera, like that a lot but if you break the monitor wile install this youre out of warranty. Why wouldnt they sell something like that?
Thomas Bruegger / garage5 GmbH
www.garage5.ch

Denny Smith

Re: Universal mounted Blackmagic EVF?

PostWed Aug 16, 2017 4:43 pm

The BM EVF was designed for the Ursa and Ursa Mini cameras specifically, for in the shoulder use, similar to the Sony ENG camera EVF design. BM was not trying to make a "Universal" EVF for use on other cameras.

Wooden Camera responded with a "Universal" mount kit, to allow the EVF to have more flexibility. The big drawback, however, is the EVF still needs to have an external 12VDC power source. Zacuto, on the other hand make their Gratical series EVFs more "universal" in their approach, as a third party manufacturer of camera bits.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

thomas bruegger

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 12:39 pm

Denny Smith wrote:Wooden Camera responded with a "Universal" mount kit, to allow the EVF to have more flexibility. The big drawback, however, is the EVF still needs to have an external 12VDC power source.

Whats the drawback on this?

anyway, if they made an Option of their EVF without the "betacam-style" mount, I would buy one immediately.
www.garage5.ch

Denny Smith

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 6:14 pm

Actually, the BM EVF mounting setup is very similar to a Betcam ENG camera, with the main difference being the attachment is in top of the handle in a Ursa/Ursa Mini/Pro vs the front of the handle on the Betacam, which was also the side to side adjustment.

The biggest difference is Betcam used a lower res LCD and older ines a Mini CRT tube, and took more power to run, and used a single multi-pin cable to connect the EVF to the camera. Also You could only use a Betcam EVF on a Sony ENG camera!

A BM EVF has a higher resolution screen, is easier to view through, and is lighter in weight. To get a more "universal" mount firmthr BM EVF, just get the Eooden Camera EVF Mod kit, and have a go.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

thomas bruegger

PostWed Aug 23, 2017 5:25 am

Denny Smith wrote:A BM EVF has a higher resolution screen, is easier to view through, and is lighter in weight. To get a more "universal" mount firmthr BM EVF, just get the Eooden Camera EVF Mod kit, and have a go.
Cheers

thats the point, would love to have one like this but in my opinion the Mod is too risky to damage the EVF, the warranty is lost, plus its gonna take forewer to have it repaired.
B&H has one review:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... ation.html
www.garage5.ch

rick.lang

PostWed Aug 23, 2017 2:24 pm

Thomas, that's what holds me back. And I don't have the skills of that reviewer. I've studied it and there are certainly risks related to the connections. I know John Brawley has at least one BMVF with the Wooden Camera EVF mod, but I'd be more comfortable handing the task to a more experienced electronics or camera tech. When I can't reach the eyecup of the BMVF, I just monitor false colour from a distance and make do with the 5" monitor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography