Sound and Mics for the Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Gregg Guzman

Sound and Mics for the Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 4:06 pm

I own a Rode Videogo PRo mic and I used to use it with my Canon 80d. I was happy enough with those results.

Wondering if it will work just as well with the Micro Cinema Camera - or if I need more equipment to get a good audio recording.

I know some people have preamps, and Zooms (maybe they are the same thing)? And they also feed their mics into those devices.

So I'm wondering what you all suggest for getting the best sound into your videos.

Denny Smith

Re: Sound and Mics for the Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 4:10 pm

Yes, the Videomic Pro will work with the Micro camera's, that said, this mic is really,best when used to get environmental sound bites, any camera mounted mic is not going to be the best solution for something like an interview, where a Lav or handheld mic is best.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Gregg Guzman

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 4:21 pm

Denny Smith wrote:Yes, the Videomic Pro will work with the Micro camera's, that said, this mic is really,best when used to get environmental sound bites, any camera mounted mic is not going to be the best solution for something like an interview, where a Lav or handheld mic is best.
Cheers

Thanks for the quick answer! That's what I wanted to hear. Eventually I'll invest in the Lav mics - I think with those I will need some type of Zoom recorder but I can wait until I make that jump.

Denny Smith

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 5:56 pm

When you go with Lavs, forge the Zoom, look at the new Sound Devices MixPre units, that also features a built in WAV audio recorder. I have the MixPre D and it is great also, providing a Micro camera compatible stereo/2-channel unbalanced out to connect to the Micro camera.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Rakesh Malik

PostSat Aug 19, 2017 2:18 pm

Yeah... the F4 and F8 are pretty good, but it's baffling that so many people used the earlier models, because they weren't particularly good.

That said, if you do want a compact and high quality recorder, there's no reason to get a Zoom when you can get a Sound Devices for the same price.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Return to Cinematography